Yet Another Lamy 2000 Review

Behike54

I have noticed in more than one brand forum a consistency in some people constantly chiming in about their woe is me tale regarding a pen that is less than perfect. We all have biases, including myself; if you think you don't them, you aren't looking hard enough. Statistically speaking, given the sheer number of certain pens, you are going to hear about them more often and it is going to appear worse than it is. Toss into the mix that one person's feedback is another person's "scratch," this type of stuff can go on forever.

From a $2 Pilot to Hakase, I have yet to read a pen without criticism or complaint, nor would I expect to.

I think some people make it their mission to let other people know they got a lemon.

The 3 best pens I have purchased have all been superb. L2K, Pilot Falcon, and TWSBI 580 AL.

I wouldn't wish a lemon on anybody, but it's a fact of life, it happens. Nothing more, nothing less.

People act like it was a purposeful action due to some sort of personal vendetta against them.

I could not agree more. As with anything, those who have bad experiences are more likely to express their feelings than those with good experiences. It is a way of getting back at whatever manufacturer. If you make more, more tend to be made badly. The number of foul pens made increases with the number of pens being made. The percentage will either stay the same or reduce actually.

Then again, in a perfect world, all pens would come out beautiful. I suppose no one will truly know the answer unless they have the numbers. It could be that Lamy does have bad QC, but I suspect that after this many years, they have minimized that number quite a bit.

Great review. I will say that I agree pretty much exactly with your numbered results, being I would dock a point off for the feeling system due to it being slightly finicky (and prone to breakage) when taking it apart. And docking another point off of the nib due to its narrow sweet spot (the M is smooth and glorious). Although, I do hold my fingers a bit back (big hands) and my thumb rests on one of the nubs, which bothers me now more than when I first got the pen. Not too big of a deal, but I do find my self removing them for when I want to write for a long period of time.

I live in the greatest country in the world....Texas

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Behike54

• Barnaby Bumble

• Koyote

• redisburning

The Fine nib in my Lamy 2000 is probably the scratchiest nib I own. It's scratchy enough that the fairly slick section, which wouldn't be a problem with a smoother nib, makes it hard to control the pen when writing.

I've had Perle Noire in it for quite some time. I'm thinking of loading it with a lubricated ink the next time I fill it. I have a sample of Noodler's Black Eel waiting to be tried.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

The Fine nib in my Lamy 2000 is probably the scratchiest nib I own. It's scratchy enough that the fairly slick section, which wouldn't be a problem with a smoother nib, makes it hard to control the pen when writing.

I've had Perle Noire in it for quite some time. I'm thinking of loading it with a lubricated ink the next time I fill it. I have a sample of Noodler's Black Eel waiting to be tried.

Let us know how that goes.

A trip to a nibmeister may be in order...

I live in the greatest country in the world....Texas

I find myself using this pen and wondering why I have any need for other pens. If course, my addiction can offer plenty of reasons but I really can't say anything negative about the Lamy 2000. Mine is an EF nib and it is incredibly smooth -- smoother than my Pelikan M1000 fine nib. The ink flow is perfect and the pen just feels sturdy. My only caution to owners is to be VERY careful when unscrewing the section. The ring that has the little feet that click the cap on is easily lost and it is very difficult to find a replacement.

I feel the same way about all my Lamys (2 Al-Stars and a 2000 and a Joy set for calligraphy.) Of course, I love the TWSBI for the funky look and it's very functional, but the Lamys are so pleasant to write with. I probably won't ever buy another Montblanc.

Edited by gwyneddd

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

Not so sure you should be afraid of a nibmeister :P

$25 later (Tim Girdler@Bertram's Inkwell) my L2K writes better than most of my other pens, and it's probably got some of the best features out of all of my pens as well.

Great review, and I love my 2k.

I think some of the criticisms are fair, particularly with regard to the sweet spot issue. It seemed pretty particular on mine (a fine), and it would quit writing immediately once you got out of it. It also was a little dry (an easy fix) out of the box. It otherwise came perfectly aligned and buttery smooth.

I stubbed mine, for no particular reason, and it it's really forgiving with regard to the sweet spot now. You have to intentionally turn it to the point where it won't write. I wouldn't hesitate to send one off to get it stubbed, for those that raised the question.

Wow, Behike54, for a first review you hit all the highlights of the Lamy 2000! Great job. I agree with everything you say and I love my 2000, it is one I carry every day. I love it, everything about the pen. It's ruggedness, looks, feel, writing with it.

Here is a link that will provide more information on the Lamy 2000 than most people ever want to know. It is a great resource: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/227631-lamy-2000-and-the-origins-of-lamy-design/

Many will not know that the stainless steel used for the wonderful spring loaded clip and the grip is 400 series stainless. This is hardenable while the more common 300 series stainless steels are not. Lamy probably hardens these parts for enhance wear resistance. But, this is just one sign of Lamy going to extra lengths to produce a superb pen.

I love how I can remove the nib and feed for cleaning by unscrewing the barrel from the grip and pushing the nib/feed out through the back. Just make sure not to lose the little ring clip that comes off when the barrel is removed. Also make sure to orientate the nib and feed when you replace it and do not use any force if it does not go in smoothly. It has to be oriented just right and will slip right in when so aligned.

You can lube the piston chamber by inserting a cotton swab with a little silicone grease into the ink chamber and wiping it on the walls of the chamber. This will keep the piston sliding smoothly if it gets sticky. Here is a review of an insane torture test that one Lamy 2000 passed in flying colors: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/92073-the-lamy-2000-experiment/

Thank your for this great review.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Wow, Behike54, for a first review you hit all the highlights of the Lamy 2000! Great job. I agree with everything you say and I love my 2000, it is one I carry every day. I love it, everything about the pen. It's ruggedness, looks, feel, writing with it.

Here is a link that will provide more information on the Lamy 2000 than most people ever want to know. It is a great resource: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/227631-lamy-2000-and-the-origins-of-lamy-design/

Many will not know that the stainless steel used for the wonderful spring loaded clip and the grip is 400 series stainless. This is hardenable while the more common 300 series stainless steels are not. Lamy probably hardens these parts for enhance wear resistance. But, this is just one sign of Lamy going to extra lengths to produce a superb pen.

I love how I can remove the nib and feed for cleaning by unscrewing the barrel from the grip and pushing the nib/feed out through the back. Just make sure not to lose the little ring clip that comes off when the barrel is removed. Also make sure to orientate the nib and feed when you replace it and do not use any force if it does not go in smoothly. It has to be oriented just right and will slip right in when so aligned.

You can lube the piston chamber by inserting a cotton swab with a little silicone grease into the ink chamber and wiping it on the walls of the chamber. This will keep the piston sliding smoothly if it gets sticky. Here is a review of an insane torture test that one Lamy 2000 passed in flying colors: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/92073-the-lamy-2000-experiment/

Thank your for this great review.

Thanks for the kind words and cleaning tips!

I continue to be amazed by how well it writes and beautiful the design and aesthetics come together seamlessly!

Cheers!

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Not so sure you should be afraid of a nibmeister :P

$25 later (Tim Girdler@Bertram's Inkwell) my L2K writes better than most of my other pens, and it's probably got some of the best features out of all of my pens as well.

Heh. Yeah, I just don't like being without any of my pens. They're MIIIIIIIINE. :)

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

• 2 months later...