The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Starting A Parker 51 Collection

parker 51 collection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Danwrites

Danwrites

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:21

Dear all,

I would like to start a 51 collection, and would be happy to hear what the best way is to go about it.

Also, I am looking for a 51, with a medium/fine nib (in good shape), with a diamond. Something that will not get me into trouble with the missus:)

I don't have a premium account, so the market place here is out of bounds for me :)

Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:10

I didn't think you needed a premium account to buy here.

Best bet is to go to an auction site and bid on all 51s. I bid a fixed amount on each one and take what comes. Sometimes you get and sometimes you don't.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 18:09

In my opinion the best way to start a collection is to decide what you want out of it first. A "collection" can have a theme from the very beginning or just grow, evolve and be refined as time goes on and you buy whatever you want. I personally never try to "collect" things though. I just buy what I like and when I start to feel the hobby needs limitations (usually due to financial investment), I set ground rules and stick to them.

With my watches, it's no more than ten (I have 9 now) and nothing over 1,000 dollars (subject to change if finances allow in the distant future). Within that, I buy whatever I like! And when I hit ten, there is a "one in requires one out" rule.

With pens, I've already limited myself to ten. But dollar amounts are hazy...the most I've spent is 155 so far and while I love the pen, it was hard to justify to the wifey on our "100 bucks for Christmas presents to each other" budget!!

Maybe just buy what you like in the beginning...your collection will find its own focus as time goes by.

Edited by sirgilbert357, 04 December 2014 - 18:10.

#4 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 18:12

I didn't think you needed a premium account to buy here.

Best bet is to go to an auction site and bid on all 51s. I bid a fixed amount on each one and take what comes. Sometimes you get and sometimes you don't.

But not all at once, right? LOL. It would be funny (or not) if you win several at a time!!

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:15

But not all at once, right? LOL. It would be funny (or not) if you win several at a time!!

All at once. You plop in a bid on all of them one after the other so you have auctions ending all the time.  You stop when the Post Office inquires if there is something going on.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#6 Betweenthelines

Betweenthelines

The road goes ever on and on..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:37

Excellent choice for a collection~

If it were me, I would make a daily ritual out of 1. Scouring FPN & FPgeeks classifieds for good deals, and 2. Scouring eBay.  I agree - every 51 you're interested in, bid on.  Decide on a number that is comfortable to pay, and bid it on all of the 51s.  It's a numbers game, so you're bound to get some at good prices with enough perseverance.  

I also agree that maybe start small - start by buying 1 that you really really like, then go from there.

#7 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 15:02

All at once. You plop in a bid on all of them one after the other so you have auctions ending all the time.  You stop when the Post Office inquires if there is something going on.

LOL, or when you run out of money! Guess if you have the cash to pay for all of the auctions (if you win all that you bid on) then it's not a problem! I know that's not likely to happen, but that would be just my luck.

#8 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 17:18

Have you ever written with a Parker 51 before?

If not, I might just try one to start with and see how you like it before starting a collection of them. Some love the hooded nib and others do not.

I would suggest getting a basic black model with a Lustraloy cap. The earlier Vacumatic 51s (1941-46) were the versions with the blue diamond on the clip. You can probably find a nice, restored, user-grade example for around $70 or so in the classifieds.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 51, collection

Sponsored Content

|