After 20+ Years, I'm Finally Allowed To Use A Fountain Pen!

ChristineH

Hi Christine and a belated welcome to you. I am overjoyed to hear what you are doing with your young students. I would love to get to every young person and put a fountain pen in their hand and teach them about the mind-body- fp connection. Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome again.

PS in addition to the Boer Fps above, have you had any experience of Jinhao pens? I have (now almost double figures..) of the x450 which I find absolutely fabulous to write with. You can strip it right down for cleaning, comes with a convertor and aboout £3.99 delivered. Also available is quite a few colours. They also have the 1200 Dragon clip one, it makes a very special and functional gift.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I don't have personal experience with the Jinhao pens but I've read positive reviews. I noticed that they have many fun colors and designs which would be good for the age group that I work with. I may go ahead and order several Chinese pens to play around with and let the students handle them to get a better idea of what appeals to them. Thank you for the great suggestion!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChristineH

• MarneM

• Helen350

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Hello Christine and welcome to FPN.

There are some situations when a fountainpen, alas, is not so practical and a ballpoint is more usefull. In your profession that was the case.

Luckily, there are not so many of these situations so most people who want to can use a fountainpen. Let's hope more people will want to, and in your new position you can help a lot bringing that about by example.

Enjoy our forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hello Christine and welcome to FPN.

There are some situations when a fountainpen, alas, is not so practical and a ballpoint is more usefull. In your profession that was the case.

Luckily, there are not so many of these situations so most people who want to can use a fountainpen. Let's hope more people will want to, and in your new position you can help a lot bringing that about by example.

Enjoy our forum

D.ick

Thank you for the welcome!

Hello and welcome!

I kept a jar of cheaper pens (Some Chinese, some Sheaffer NoNonsenses) for when students forgot their pens for school. It was a lot of fun to watch the kids try their hands out. One even said how much nicer their writing looked!

A Lamy Safari is a good choice, although it may get pricier if you start buying many of them as gifts. The Chinese pens discussed above are a good idea. If you need to keep some in the classroom, Preppies or Varsities could be a good idea. Both come in a large variety of colours too.

Thanks for your service as a LEO, and welcome to the other wonderful service of Teaching!

Hello and welcome!

I kept a jar of cheaper pens (Some Chinese, some Sheaffer NoNonsenses) for when students forgot their pens for school. It was a lot of fun to watch the kids try their hands out. One even said how much nicer their writing looked!

A Lamy Safari is a good choice, although it may get pricier if you start buying many of them as gifts. The Chinese pens discussed above are a good idea. If you need to keep some in the classroom, Preppies or Varsities could be a good idea. Both come in a large variety of colours too.

Thanks for your service as a LEO, and welcome to the other wonderful service of Teaching!

Thank you! It's great to see fellow LEO's and teachers on this site. I've also had students comment on how much better their writing appears when using a fountain pen. They're also very impressed when I show them video clips of calligraphy written with vintage and dip pens. I agree about the Safari's. I can probably swing it this year because my program is only a few years old so there is only a small group of seniors but that will change after this group graduates.

• 2 weeks later...