Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Green - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

I hadn't recalled seeing Sailor Tokiwa-matsu on this thread, so I thought I'd add it for future reference. I'm not a big fan of the greens, but if they have some dazzling effect, it grabs my attention.

So how wonderful is gold-bronze sheen on a green ink? Yes?

Here's the straight-on view:

fpn_1541883139__2018-11-10_154722.jpg

And then, we have the view at an angle:

fpn_1541883155__2018-11-10_154738.jpg

fpn_1541883165__2018-11-10_154836.jpg

I know that some folks don't love the sheen, but man, this works for me. Dark, moody forest greens are one thing, but this is something special, in my book. ;)

The colour shift when Tokiwa-matsu dries is one of the most amazing things I have seen in an ink!

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Jan2016

• HalloweenHJB

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

The colour shift when Tokiwa-matsu dries is one of the most amazing things I have seen in an ink!

You got me to thinking about a comparison. I decided to line up Diamine's November Rain and Sailor's Tokiwa-matsu in a face-off. The two seem similar at first, with NR having more of a blue cast, and T-M having more of an olive cast. When seen directly above, they look like dark green inks:

fpn_1542126260__2018-11-13_111942.jpg

But then, if you look at an angle, the magic begins:

fpn_1542126278__2018-11-13_112006.jpg

Close-up views are amazing. Even the wash with a swab sheens:

fpn_1542126291__2018-11-13_111953.jpg

fpn_1542126304__2018-11-13_111959.jpg

OOO very nice.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Welcome aboard! I like the pen too.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Lamy Crystal inks... is that something new?

Yes, 10 new colors 🙂 If you go over to the Lamy brand section, there are 2 topics with more samples over there.

Interesting. I haven't seen that one. Thank you for sharing.

This is my favorite green. Smoky and dark (the blue backlight does make it a lot more blue in person. It's smoky but not brown, very much an evergreen tree color)

Also a LE from birmingham. I'll be sad, ordered three bottles to keep me stocked for a long time, but I'll be sad when this is gone. it's super well behaved too. No sheen, lots of shading.

fpn_1543646471__untitled.jpg

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

So pleased I spent yesterday's super long bus ride scrolling through this thread!
This morning I was tempted to add "a drop of Helianthus" to the breather hole of a couple of my more murky inks with very pleasing results; Rachel Carson transforming into a rather fetching olive while Jean Jaques Rousseau put forward a nice antique gold. Onto a good thing I dug out a couple of my "beautiful inks that are too dark to use"; KWZ Hunter Green and Sailor Jentle Doyou - terrific! Finally Hunter Green reveals it's concealed beauty, or at least hints at it, whilst Doyou is a cool brown with a yellow sheen!
Helianthus is a magic elixir indeed - thanks to whoever-it-was passed that wisdom on!!

Edited by pgcauk

Just in case that's confusing:
The top three rows are irrelevant (noodling while waiting for last night's supper!), but do show Rachel and Jean alongside some of their friends (Fern Moss, Umber, York Brown and a very scratchy version of Oster's Khakhi would be my guess), the column on the far right shows the original colors, the symbolic sketches show the Helianthus cocktail mix!

Subject to scanner limitations yada, yada, (which in this color range are quite limiting indeed!).

Ooh, those are gorgeous!

Love the 'doodling', those would make awesome borders. The color combinations are great!

I also mixed up some inks yesterday, love this particulate bright green:

post-146308-0-30697400-1543766233_thumb.jpg

Made from Noodler's Yellow, Army plus eel turquoise in a rough 1:1:1 mix

Edited by uceroy

• 4 weeks later...

After a two-year quest (and significant dollarage!) I finally have some greens I am happy with (that aren't purely seasonal).
Here's my four finalists in each of my four categories; earth green, stone green, tending yellow and tending blue

fpn_1546111237__greens_dec_18_final.jpg

. . . . and here's a summary history to show how I got here (written in the four finalists - to present each of these in their own color would be quite a labor!).

Honorable mentions in the Stone Green category to De Atramentis' Cement (=Charles Dickens) and J. Herbin Vert Empire.

New additions in the Earth Green category (my favorite!) are Rikyu Cha and Stipula Calamo Verde Muschiato, both of which give an initial impression of magnificence, but neither of which have pushed Jean Jaques of his podium just yet!

fpn_1546111490__greens_dec_18.jpg

This is my favorite green. Smoky and dark (the blue backlight does make it a lot more blue in person. It's smoky but not brown, very much an evergreen tree color)

Also a LE from birmingham. I'll be sad, ordered three bottles to keep me stocked for a long time, but I'll be sad when this is gone. it's super well behaved too. No sheen, lots of shading.

fpn_1543646471__untitled.jpg

Ooh. I like this color. Thank you.

Still available at Birmingham. They just lowered all ink prices ($6/30ml) so maybe I will order it while they have it in stock. I like many of their colors and the business is run very well.