Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Violet - Purple - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those are beautiful!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Decided to practice some uncial calligraphy and rounded up all my Diamine purples, plus noodler's nightshade (yes there's a typo :crybaby:) because I didn't like to leave a blank line. 2.5mm Leonardt nib on Fabriano Ecoqua 85gsm dot grid A5.

Under led light

fpn_1562658222__purple_led.jpg

Under morning sunlight

fpn_1562658268__purple_sun.jpg

My favourites: Eclipse (username checks out), Bilberry, Imperial purple.

OO YES

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

I put some of my own Violet noodlings and musings here, but Amberlea suggested I add a swatch or two here too, so here goes! Nothing comprehensive, just exploring, but those Birmingham Pen Violets are rather interesting?

fpn_1557090795__blue_violet_through_red_

I really like that Diamine Damson...I wonder if it would almost like an off black when used with an EF nib.

MB Lavender Purple is too red for my taste.

I really like that Diamine Damson...I wonder if it would almost like an off black when used with an EF nib.

MB Lavender Purple is too red for my taste.

The following review shows an example of Damson in an extra-fine nib. The reviewer also comments on the behavior of the ink, saying it will look nearly black in a wet pen but that in a drier one it produces a "washed out gray-purple line."

http://www.carpedavid.com/blog/2012/1/15/ink-review-diamine-damson.html

A Diamine ink that can look similar to Montblanc Lavender Purple, but not as red, in a fine nib is Diamine Grape. In fact, I have recently been using Lavender Purple and Grape in identical pens, expressly for comparison. But Grape isn't necessarily well behaved in every pen; I don't know about Damson. Are you expressly looking for an ink that will look black in a fine nib? If so, this thread is not to be missed:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/340788-your-favorite-purple-black-inks/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ENewton. I saw that thread. I think Ink of the Witch would be perfect...however I can't get over the price per ml.

Someone also gave me a sample of Diamine Grape...I am going to give that a test. I like a purple that is dark that it is off black. I have Kobe #32 Tamon Purple Grey. In a EF nib it looks Black/Purple to me...plus has some water resistance. I'm hesitant to run it thru my 149's because it's so saturated it might stain the window.

Thanks ENewton. I saw that thread. I think Ink of the Witch would be perfect...however I can't get over the price per ml.

Someone also gave me a sample of Diamine Grape...I am going to give that a test. I like a purple that is dark that it is off black. I have Kobe #32 Tamon Purple Grey. In a EF nib it looks Black/Purple to me...plus has some water resistance. I'm hesitant to run it thru my 149's because it's so saturated it might stain the window.

My favorite is Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, which looks close to black in a fine nib.

If you worry about staining, be cautious with Diamine Grape. I have not experienced staining with Grape, but I know that other people have.

• 7 months later...

OOO I agree.

This is Stipula IG Red one that I added to cartridges I had not cleaned. The Sheaffer is the closest to the unadulterated IG Red.

fpn_1585302972__img_20200327_013017-2.jp

fpn_1585087084__img_20200324_142403_2.jp

I admit I fail to understand how the De Atramentis is sepia or brown...

Yes, a red, a violet I might consider brown, but not sepia. :)

• 5 months later...

Still trying to decide on the details of the swatch card format I'm going to use for my ink cataloguing project. Here's another experiment:

fpn_1599875914__pilot_iroshizuku_yama-bu

The card shown is 52.2mm wide and 49.5mm tall, to give you a sense of scale. (The front-on images are scaled to be true to size on my 13-inch MacBook Pro's screen.) The cards used for the actual catalogue will be narrower, out of necessity.

The more I think about it, the less I see the functional value of doing a 1-2-3-pass swab using a q-tip or make-up applicator stick on my swatch cards, although not exactly for the reason — sometimes 'volunteered' by some fellow members in response to seeing others' swatches and reviews — that it would be misleading because one doesn't go all out to acquire an ink to do swabs, so the focus ought to be on showing writing (and preferably nothing else). Other than for taking up more surface area for greater visual impact, I just think it's an inefficient use of space and poorly controlled (and thus also apt to be inefficient) use of ink. To see the gradations of potential shading when writing, a small round rubber stamp leaving a series of (increasingly incomplete) impressions would probably give a better idea whether the shading would be smooth/blended, if it will manifest at all. (Yes, I still need to work on improving my stamp-inking technique.) Two, or even three, passes as with intersection points of crossed pen strokes? I can see the effect of it in cross-hatching as well as writing particular Chinese characters. As for showing the potential for sheen...

I'm also moving away from the idea of 'artistic' ink splatters to elicit the maximum sheen, and/or show how rich the colour can be when laid on thick. The stamping (when I get it right) will already do a bit of that, and how I'm 'filling' the ink bottle in the imprinted image on my swatch cards will also do that in a relatively more confined space and controllable manner. If an ink is apt to exhibit sheen when writing, then it would be evident also in hatching and stippling; and I like it better that one has to look hard/closely for the sheen in the fine lines and tiny dots.

What I'm not sure about yet is which section of the vane on the quill feather is best filled with what, out of hatching, cross-hatching, solid-filling, stippling and washing.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@Smug, - WOW that is a great explanation of the differences.

• 3 weeks later...

Visconti "Orchard in Bloom" ink. Anyone else seen it up close?

fpn_1601751893__img_0200.jpeg

Edited by HalloweenHJB

WOW, thank you for sharing!

• 6 months later...

large.2013-Ink_818.jpg.001834ad29add27b094ad36471298f66.jpglarge.2013-Ink_795.jpg.8534ffdf4d4ab70b72d1348c365cb6ef.jpg

Noodler's Mix with Tsvetayna

FPN Dumas Tulip Noire

large.2013-Ink_573c.jpg.5e5bec64b1a42894242e40fe4de45012.jpglarge.2013-Ink_558b.jpg.719a56c1c7c605bfd7e2a55c198184c6.jpg

large.2013-Ink_524.jpg.9ee5afdbff0a0690da3c790e63b9d250.jpg

Scabiosa

Rohrer & Klingner