Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Violet - Purple - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa and Cult Pens Deep Dark Purple. Love them both, but Scabiosa needs a very wet writer. I keep it in my Pelikan MK10 which leaks a bit. ^^

fpn_1541455659__cult_pens_deep_dark_purp

I have Scabiosa in a Bulow (rebranded Jinhao) x750 at the moment. None of my other pens is wet enough to show this lovely ink to advantage.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have Scabiosa in a Bulow (rebranded Jinhao) x750 at the moment. None of my other pens is wet enough to show this lovely ink to advantage.

As a matter of fact, I use Scabiosa only in my Pelikan MK10 since it leaks and I have an extra-saturated Scabiosa! It's so dry otherwise.

Pelikan 4001 Violet, Rohrer & Klingner Cassia, Scabiosa and Cult Pens Deep Dark Purple:

fpn_1541624956__pelikan_4001_violett_rk_

fpn_1541624996__cult_pens_deep_dark_purp

fpn_1541625028__rk_cassia_scabiosa_corni

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

VERY CUTE

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

Lamy Dark Lilac. Now I understand why people went bananas over this ink. Not only is the hue a seductive shade of purple, it has all of these rich, luxurious dark undertones to it that make it fascinating to look at.

If this ink were still available, it would certainly be on the nomination list for the "Best Purple EVAR" award. Instead, it will join Parker Penman Sapphire in the pantheon of legendary "unobtainium" inks.

fpn_1543097269__lamy_dark_lilac.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Lamy Dark Lilac. Now I understand why people went bananas over this ink. Not only is the hue a seductive shade of purple, it has all of these rich, luxurious dark undertones to it that make it fascinating to look at.

If this ink were still available, it would certainly be on the nomination list for the "Best Purple EVAR" award. Instead, it will join Parker Penman Sapphire in the pantheon of legendary "unobtainium" inks.

fpn_1543097269__lamy_dark_lilac.jpg

DL is a great ink but fortunately it’s pretty easy to replicate an extremely close colour copy, being very similar in behaviour & feel; even with the same sheen. I’ve written several letters each featuring both DL and my mix, & not one recipient noticed any difference etween the two

Verba volant, scripta manent

Migo, have you posted your mix recipe and a picture here too?

Yes, I have one fill of Dark Lilac left from the sample vial and would love to mix up a "twin" for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lamy Dark Lilac CRV, with goodpens

Other inks featured: Private Reserve Plum, Noodler's Purple Mountain Majesties, Diamine Lavender, Sailor Shigure, Diamine Bilberry, Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu

fpn_1544392679__lamy_dark_lilac_crv_good

ErrantSmudge, thanks for including the ink names as text so nerds like me can find the samples with a search engine;-)

Since Dark Lilac is unavailable I tried to fake it.

http://statland.org/PenPix/dl2.jpg

http://statland.org/PenPix/dl1.jpg

I see there is a writo here: the second scan also shows a mix of Thornton inks, not Hero. In person the mixes look more black and less purple -- sort of black ink with shading and purple highlights. I think the best ratio is somewhere between 3:1 and 4:1 but things change rapidly in this range so you may have to tune to the pens and papers you use.

I saw no signs of sheen, but then I almost never see sheen with the pens and papers I use.

And here is a scan of an ink I bought in response to this eBay heading:

3D4A 25ml Fountain Pen Ink Painting Drawing Creative Non-Carbon Ink

http://statland.org/PenPix/Karkos.jpg

The scans underestimate the difference between the original and the doctored versions. The ink was listed as "Burgundy.", "wine red." and "Bordeaux" depending on what part of the listing you read. It arrived the color of sliced fresh strawberries. A little Thornton Blue made it a maroon that is close to the color of some red wines. I like it better than the many premixed "Burgundy" and "Bordeaux" inks that have a dirty brown tinge. I called the worst of those "Dregs of Wine".

Edited by bob_hayden

• 5 months later...

I put some of my own Violet noodlings and musings here, but Amberlea suggested I add a swatch or two here too, so here goes! Nothing comprehensive, just exploring, but those Birmingham Pen Violets are rather interesting?

fpn_1557090795__blue_violet_through_red_

Edited by pgcauk

I love the Birmingham purples. Right now I have Birmingham Phipps Conservatory Verbena in a wet Parker 51. It's a beautiful, dark color and flows luxuriously.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw some C.X MADE ink on eBay and tried a bottle of their lavender (their INK CX-11). It turned out to be very close to Sheaffer USA Lavender which is no longer available. It looked darker in my tests but I was using a very wet pen with an M nib. Cost is about $1US for 7 ml which is equivalent to a little over $4 for 30 ml -- the new standard. I think only the Hero 23x is cheaper right now, but only offers four colors. The C.X ink had gold colored something suspended in it to provide a glitter effect. It took only a minute for that to sink to the bottom and the fountain pen I filled by skimming off the top seems to be doing fine with no signs of glitter or clogging. I also tried a dip pen right after mixing. I could not see much glitter effect indoors but outside there is a bit of sparkle at the center if you look carefully. To me it is similar to trying to see sheen. My guess would be that someone who actually wanted glitter would be disappointed. If you do want it, I think you will need to cap and shake the bottle before each dip. Otherwise, I see this as a cheap way to try multiple colors of bottled ink. You could buy the whole collection for less than a single bottle of many brands. Order a couple of similarly cheap Chinese pens at the same time in case the gold stuff does clog fountain pens.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/332160-best-fountain-pens-under-1-us/page-5

s-l1600.jpg

I posted this elsewhere, but I thought it was interesting enough to bring up here.

Birmingham Pens' have a huge range of Purples & Violets.

I have David O. Selznick Lilac Wind and samples of Waterfront Dusk, Allegheny River Twilight and Violet Starling (with two more in the mail!).

I really like the Violet Starling, but isn't it almost identical to "David"? Looks the same but feels different?

Wiping a newly filled nib on a piece of tissue was a revelation:

fpn_1561316358__birmingham_violets.jpg

That's Starling on the left, David on the right.

Ink and wash becomes quite revealing:

fpn_1561316859__boyd_sleeping_2_violets.

The upper (and rightest), David, has a more magenta wash with a blue outline.

The lower, Starling, has a blue wash fading to pink.

This seems to rhyme with my "feeling" that David is quite a solemn ink, while Starling is a good deal more lively, even though they look like the same color!

What an interesting world!
(Further notes for Birmingham obsessives:

David appears to have a similar base color to River Twilight, but with the addition of a soluble blue.
Starling looks to have very similar components to the (rather lovely) Waterfront Dusk, although the latter is much brighter purple.
Really looking forward to the arrival of Frick Building Stained Glass on the morrow now!)

(Further notes for Birmingham obsessives:

David appears to have a similar base color to River Twilight, but with the addition of a soluble blue.

Starling looks to have very similar components to the (rather lovely) Waterfront Dusk, although the latter is much brighter purple.

Really looking forward to the arrival of Frick Building Stained Glass on the morrow now!)

Yes, what fun for us that Nick is exploring purple to such an extent!

I really enjoy Waterfront Dusk, especially as a winter ink, and am intrigued by the idea that Starling might be duskier yet.

Allegheny River Twilight is a little too red for me.

Birmingham Pens Frick Building Stained Glass (but I think I'll call it "Frick!")

fpn_1561490435__birmingham_violets_audit

Near black in a wet nib, but add some width or water and you have full on Psychedelia / Carnaby St. / Haight Ashbury purple

(or maybe just a clown suit?)

Hmmm, I was looking to complete a secondary color triad with "my green" (= Kobe #49) and "my orange" (=Akkerman Steen Rood), and whilst this fits the bill in terms of color balance, I can't see me being that audacious!

The darker violets just look black in this company, but it works if I tone down my green a bit? Here's "David" and the Starling with Kobe #45:

fpn_1561490612__birmingham_violets_audit