The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Chinese Pens And Cursive Italic/stub Nibs

italic jinhao stub nibs frankenpens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grape Bear

Grape Bear

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:33

Hi, guys! I have been bitten by the fountain pen bug recently, and have found out very early that I want to write using a stub/italic nib for the rest of my life. This poses a bit of a problem for a few reasons - my budget (and comfort level) doesn't quite reach the price threshold for pens with good CI or stub nibs (and grinds are even more expensive); I am a lefty with small handwriting, and so anything over 1.0 transforms by cursive into almost undecipherable squiggle. 

At the moment, I am using Lamy Safaris with 1.1 italic nibs (which are a touch too wide), a Pilot plumix (whose nib is earmarked for a Pilot Metropolitan or a Baoer 388 if I am brave enough), and a Jinhao x750 with a 1.1 Knox nib, and a Kaigelu 356, which was ground to a 0.6mm (too fine) that I got off ebay. I like the pricepoint and looks of the Chinese pens, as they look classy without the price tag and I can potentially get a few of them to play with without breaking the bank.

I was wondering if any of you knew where I could get Chinese pens with italic nibs or stubs as a standard, as custom grinding would cost several times more than the pens cost? I would prefer not to go the route of putting frankenpens together (i.e. buying an italic nib and replacing the stock nib).

Second, if I did go the frankenpen route, which of the good cursive italic or stub nibs (i.e. Edison, F-C Mayusama nibs, etc.) would potentially fit into what Chinese pen body? Has anyone ever done a hybrid Chinese pen using any of these nibs or nib+section before?

Thanks heaps in advance!

Sponsored Content

#2 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

Just the kid with the fountain pens... no, don't mind me...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:17

Instead of trying to find italic nibs, why don't you grind them yourself?

Here's a link for you to check out: http://www.marcuslin...ludwig-tan.html

The step by step tutorial should work out just fine for you, like it did for me.

~Epic

Letter Writers Alliance

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#3 PabloAU

PabloAU

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:29

I have successfully fitted 1.1 Knox (K35), a 0.8 and 0.6 Nemosine nibs to my Jinhao x750. The 0.6 is my favourite of the bunch. The Nemosine nibs have much gentler corners than the Knox, which I suspect will work in your favour as a lefty.

#4 Grape Bear

Grape Bear

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 14:47

I have successfully fitted 1.1 Knox (K35), a 0.8 and 0.6 Nemosine nibs to my Jinhao x750. The 0.6 is my favourite of the bunch. The Nemosine nibs have much gentler corners than the Knox, which I suspect will work in your favour as a lefty.

I've tried the Nemosine 0.8 - was a bit too wide and the line too stubby for my taste, although maybe it was partly because of the ink I was using (Big Bad Heron). I will try the 0.6 mm next time. The reason I asked is because there are a few interesting looking pens apart from the JinHao I wanted to try (like the Kailgelu celluloid ones) but none of them obviously use an italic nib. :)

#5 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 15:43

I have fitted a home ground Broad Italic to one of my Kaigelu 316's. The nib was a JoWo broad (same make as the Goulets nib) and made a very nice 0.8mm wide BI.

Regards,

Richard.

#6 Grape Bear

Grape Bear

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 21:51

I have fitted a home ground Broad Italic to one of my Kaigelu 316's. The nib was a JoWo broad (same make as the Goulets nib) and made a very nice 0.8mm wide BI.

Regards,

Richard.

Interesting! I have a Goulet 1.1 nib #6 with no section waiting for a home - will that fit?

#7 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 14:12

Interesting! I have a Goulet 1.1 nib #6 with no section waiting for a home - will that fit?

Yes. The K316 with an Italic nib & a plastic (rather than brass) barrel finial is as gorgeous as my Parker Centennial.

Regards,

Richard.

#8 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:34

Noodler Ahabs and Konrads also use No. 6 nibs. And the flow is adjustable to one's needs.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: italic, jinhao, stub, nibs, frankenpens

Sponsored Content

|