My First Parker 51. Uh, What Is It?

jdllizard

Bought my first Parker 51, but I'm new to these so any info on my particular 51 would be much appreciated. Hopefully I didn't over pay for a worthless pile of parts.

http://goo.gl/WNdWZC

Looks good to me but as I said, I know squat about Parker 51s.

John L

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jdllizard

• FarmBoy

• OcalaFlGuy

• TimGirdler

Just looking at the eBay pictures, it seems like it is in OK shape. I think the pen will need a full restoration to work properly. Also, the cap can be refinished (with a brushed finish) to restore it to its former glory.

This pen might sell--fully restored--for $125-$150 depending on who is selling them. I'd sell this pen, again, fully restored, for $125. So, having paid in the $55 range (including shipping) you can put some good money into it and still not exceed the resale value. Overall, you did well.

We offer full restoration and re-brushing of the cap. You can contact me through the website in the signature below, if you'd like.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

If you want to stay local, Danny Fudge is in Papillion and repairs pens.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I just received a P51 vac back from Danny. It hasn't been inked up yet (sent two pens to him, and the other had priority!), but it looks gorgeous.

I'd check with Danny first on the cap, I wasn't aware Danny refinished caps.

Caps and nibs are somewhat the issues lately with 51s IMO. All the other parts are somewhat available for reasonable prices, prices on nice nibs and caps are rising and they are getting a bit harder to find. Refinishing a cap will run $35-45 IF the restorer is able to get the jewel out without snapping it. (He should be, but IT happens.)

I would think this pen, fully restored by Farmermums here on FPN would have been around $100, probably a bit less than that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I'd check with Danny first on the cap, I wasn't aware Danny refinished caps.

Caps and nibs are somewhat the issues lately with 51s IMO. All the other parts are somewhat available for reasonable prices, prices on nice nibs and caps are rising and they are getting a bit harder to find. Refinishing a cap will run $35-45 IF the restorer is able to get the jewel out without snapping it. (He should be, but IT happens.)

I would think this pen, fully restored by Farmermums here on FPN would have been around $100, probably a bit less than that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I would send the cap to someone that specialized in metal repairs. There are about 3 people I can think of. The repair of the 51 could go to any one of the restorers that has the ability to do these but I'd still send the cap to someone that specializes in it.

I'd be willing to bet the 60 minute drive to see Danny would be worth the effort. He doesn't bite that I know of.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'm not to concerned with the appearance of the cap, there are no dents or anything that I can see in the pictures, and as for the finish, that's just part of the pens patina. If it does wind up needing a resto on the brushed finish I can probably handle it myself. I've done similar work on watches with good results.

I've sent Danny Fudge an email about two other Vacs several weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back from him. I'm sure he's great, but so far I'm not thrilled with his communications.

John L

I'm not to concerned with the appearance of the cap, there are no dents or anything that I can see in the pictures, and as for the finish, that's just part of the pens patina. If it does wind up needing a resto on the brushed finish I can probably handle it myself. I've done similar work on watches with good results.

I've sent Danny Fudge an email about two other Vacs several weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back from him. I'm sure he's great, but so far I'm not thrilled with his communications.

Like me, Danny doesn't do pens on a full-time basis. So, if you're desire is to have Danny fix your pens (which is no skin off my nose at all), just know that it may take him longer to respond than a full-time pen guy.

ETA: By all accounts Danny does fantastic work and I'm sure it would be well worth him doing the work.

Blessings,

Tim

Edited by TimGirdler

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

Like me, Danny doesn't do pens on a full-time basis. So, if you're desire is to have Danny fix your pens (which is no skin off my nose at all), just know that it may take him longer to respond than a full-time pen guy.

ETA: By all accounts Danny does fantastic work and I'm sure it would be well worth him doing the work.

Blessings,

Tim

Well he hasn't responded at all in at least 2 weeks so I'll need to find someone else and that someone might as well be you.

I have 2 Parker vacs that need restoration, one debutante and one standard sized, the standard also needs a new nib (might be salvageable with a nib job) and the clip needs tightening. I will wait till my 51 arrives in the mail though in case it needs a full resto as well.

John L

Although there are many good pen repair people, I second the comments about Danny. He has done dozens of pens for me and is great to work with.

Danny is also a Pastor of a Church that somewhat recently moved. I think this is the Church's first Thanksgiving at it's current location.

I suspect that between his church family and home family, he's pretty busy right now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Danny is also a Pastor of a Church that somewhat recently moved. I think this is the Church's first Thanksgiving at it's current location.

I suspect that between his church family and home family, he's pretty busy right now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Ok, since he is local to me, I'll drop him another email and see if he responds. My Parker Vac collection is up to 5 that need a resto, (plus a working Gray debutante pen and pencil set and a restored golden pearl with the striped jewels and section).

I'm finding them as addictive as the Esterbrooks.LOL

John L