The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conway Stewart Back On Track ?

conway stewart

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#81 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 19:02

I dunno about how it writes, but I'm sure it drives like stink!  :)  I'm not much of a race fan (Nascar or F1) but I do enjoy seeing the Stig blast around the track in those junk cars all the time.  :)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

#82 Happy Harry

Happy Harry

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 21:28

BUT, I think the current holders of the EU trademark would love him to get the USA rights.

To be able to really make a good company he would then have to apply for the EU rights so they will get some money for the name.

As it is, they have a name but no money, and I would be flabbergasted if someone from the UK would buy/lease it from them before 2018.

D.ick

Conway Stewart Ltd. was incorporated on the 18th June 2013 with directors Mr Amos Peek and Mr John Sorowka. I'd suspect it wasn't simply because they liked the name !! Maybe there's more been going on behind the scenes than we know, we don't yet know why CSGBs cancelled the licence to the last UK incarnation of CS. Your last statement may be a bit premature, needless to say the issue of the UK TMs will be settled sooner rather than later because the majority shareholder in CSGB is being wound up. CS Ltd would, I suspect, be interested.

I'm sure those behind CS Ltd. would be far from happy with what's occurring with the US rights, which was a simple error as is Caltagirone's to keep the W-E TM up to date. Would someone else picking that up in an opportunistic move be ethical? The legalities and the ethics can be very different.

I suspect the OP was more a "fishing" exercise at present to judge sentiment to the move rather than "set in concrete".   

Edited by Happy Harry, 06 December 2014 - 03:50.

#83 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 14:48

What I find particularly funny is how people who are so unconnected with the company feel the need to jump in with "ethics" and "morality".    If I am not mistaken, the previous edition of CS was exactly that - a new business started under an old brand.    And so is this one.

As long as it is done legally, more power to the OP.     CS is, like Monty Python's parrot, pushing up the daisies.   They get no special dispensation on what happens to their brand now - if it was important to them, they, or whoever the brand owners are, should have thought through it earlier.

People need to separate the realities of business and law from their own wishful romanticised idea of "how things should be".   There are plenty of defunct brand names that have been taken over by new, opportunistic businesspeople and revived.     

And how does the process followed by Manu to obtain the brand name change anything re the pens he is producing?   And as long as it is not illegal, this is something between him and the current copyright holders, not us*.   

Making a profit isnt a bad thing.    A lesson that CS apparently didnt realize.   Hopefully, the new version, if it takes off, will.

*Is it just me or is there a certain level of hubris in regular customers demanding answers from Manu?   Martin is a different story, given his business relationship with the erstwhile CS, but the rest of you?   Neither the old CS nor the new revival owe you ANY answers.     Atleast have the courtesy of asking politely, instead of with this sense of entitlement that seems to pervade through your posts.

Sheesh.

Edited by de_pen_dent, 07 December 2014 - 14:50.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

#84 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2014 - 15:26

What I find particularly funny is how people who are so unconnected with the company feel the need to jump in with "ethics" and "morality".    If I am not mistaken, the previous edition of CS was exactly that - a new business started under an old brand.    And so is this one.

As long as it is done legally, more power to the OP.    

Sheesh.

The past is past but what we don't want is for it all to happen again. I think Martin has summed it up rather well.

The real problem is that Manu has announced that he is going to resurect CS before he has the means to do so. He has only APPLIED for the US trade name. If he gets it then he still has to obtain that trade name for the rest of the world before he can market the pens to the UK, EU. etc. As Happy Harry has said Manu is only fishing and, if he is not carefull, he will catch a very large crab. I don't know about "more power to the OP", at the moment he has none. But we shall see I have no doubt. 

Peter

#85 jebib111

jebib111

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 16:05

It's still a "Conway Stewart".  I have always liked the pens but in my opinion the price point was just a little too high.  I've never had a problem wasting investing in fountain pens but for that reason many times I passed on the CS and "invested" in something else.

#86 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2014 - 16:56

OK.

I had hoped a normal conversation would be possible. But some members have to revert to name-calling. Which I have hidden.

So this topic is now closed.

Thank you to those with constructive opinions, pro and contra.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conway stewart

Sponsored Content

|