Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Brown - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• pgcauk

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Adding my cards for two brown tones I own. An ink sample of Diamine Sepia and a cartridge of Kaweco Karamellbraun. Swab has been made with back of the nib because drops are for bottles.

The card of Sepia has a slight typo, I'll re-do it when I ink up another pen.

Diamine Sepia is rather dry for a Diamine ink in my experience. It starts brown and continues into ocre. It has great shading potential, but it doesn't flow as well as other great shaders.

fpn_1519294169__diamine_102_sepia_card.j

The spacing of the Karamellbraun card is... not good I know.

Kaweco Karamellbraun is a well-behaved child. It puts up a valiant fight against feathering even on the worst of papers. It's rather dry, it doesn't flow well in the line, so there's not much shading, but what subtle shading is there, it's nice because it's generally a deep brown and the saturated bits are a very rich dark chocolate brown.

fpn_1519294343__kaweco_karamellbraun_car

Paper is Rhodia Stapled Pad #18 A4 Blank.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Something strange happened while I wrote this typography exercise with Kaweco Karamellbraun. It started extremely darker than usual, and it slowly got back to normal.

I often see colors starting a bit darker when I write, no big deal, but the transition this time took so long. It amazed me.

This is KAWECO KARAMELLBRAUN with a Schneider fountain pen (nib width not indicated) on Rhodia. I didn't edit the scan with a photo editing software because it resembles the color very closely as it is.

fpn_1519820425__kaweco_karamellbraun_rho

Rohrer & Klingner SketchINK - Thea

This is from Rohrer & Klingner's new line of "Sketch" inks. These are pigment-based inks that work in fountain pens.

Thea is a complex grey, with warm undertones. I bought it thinking I could use it for sketches, with grey being a versatile color to work with in combination with other colors.

I'm double posting it to the Browns thread because it is almost a dusky sepia.

fpn_1519928437__r_k_sketch_thea.jpg

The ink is permanent (waterproof) when dry, but you can do washes with a water brush before it dries. Here's a sample of some doodles on Tomoe River paper.

fpn_1519929039__rk_sketch_thea_wash.jpg

This is my entry in the Clairefontaine paper category. Pen is Faber-Castell Loom M, ink is as show Pelikan 4001 Brillant-Braun, and paper is Clairefontaine Work Block A4 82602C.

Pelikan 4001 Brillant-Braun is a bright brown, more ocre than brown actually. With cheap Pigna and Blasetti notebooks it's a simple flat brown and it behaves well, minimal feathering and showthrough, no bleedthrough. On Clairefontaine it pools magnificiently at the end of the stroke, and even though it takes longer to dry (obviously) I think it's worth the expense.

But I know that students who look for inexpensive paper surely won't turn to Clairefontaine so be assured that this ink is a good ink for cheap, absorbant paper. Just don't expect it to be a looker on Pigna and the likes.

fpn_1520067582__pelikan_4001_braun_clair

• 3 weeks later...

Love this combo, although I ended up adding a few drops of Diamine Blue-Black to get a darker brown. Not in this case, though, the darker letters are simply due to the fact that I hadn't used this pen for a few days. I love when fountain pen inks do this.

Faber-Castell Loom Piano <M>, Pelikan 4001 Brillant-Braun, paper is a surprisingly good Pigna notebook A4 stapled.

PS: Now that I see the picture with my glasses I can see that I colored in the letters quite badly. I'll try to keep this in mind for future faux calligraphy exercises.

fpn_1521386790__pelikan_4001_braun_tell_

This is the result of my experiment in mixing Diamine Blue-Black and Pelikan 4001 Brillant-Braun. I like it very much. Deep, rich, shading dark brown..

Faber-Castell Loom Piano <M>.

Pelikan 4001 Brillant-Braun in a short standard international cartridge + 3 drops (from 5ml medical syringe) of Diamine Blue Black, standard line.

Paper is a page of a Pigna stapled A4 notebook.

fpn_1521387503__pelikan_4001_braun_mix_t

Brilliant Brown probably should go in my list of try to see if it feels like a sanguine conte crayon inks. And it’s cheap!

• 5 weeks later...

I really like Sepia.

The dark hue is Sepia, the lighter one is Brilliant Brown.

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown is in Pilot Pluminix B.

Rohrer & Klingner Sepia is in a no-name Chinese piston filler with stock F (very wet, more like M) nib.

fpn_1524132279__pelikan_4001_braun_-_rk_

Very nice comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is supposed to be a green ink??? What. Diamine, you're drunk, go home.

No actually. It flows a murky green from the nib, and then it dries brown-ish, especially on good paper. I can't begin to fathom what's inside this color, the chromatography will be extremely interesting.

Pen: Jinhao X740 fude nib.

Ink: Diamine Salamander.

Paper: Clairefontaine 90g/m.

fpn_1524509416__diamine_salamander_ghost

An ink I'm love using very much. Rohrer and Klingner Sepia. Pen is an OEM Chinese piston filler with a very wet F nib.

fpn_1524862709__rk_sepia_doodle_plant_01

And this is a velvety smooth ink, Diamine Macassar, in a Yiren 359 with F nib.

I purchased Macassar since it looked very close to Kaweco Karamellbraun, since I've received a cartridge of it by a very kind pen friend of mine, MsRedPen. I like the color but Kaweco is a touch dry. And Diamine's more lubricated, so I thought I'd be pleased with it and it turns out yep, very pleasant writing experience and very nice chocolate brown.

fpn_1524862803__diamine_macassar_doodle_

Old comparison between two brown inks. I actually bought Macassar as a pseudo-substitute for Karamellbraun, since I like the color but it's a dry-ish ink.

Diamine Macassar in Yiren 359 F.

Kaweco Caramel Brown in Scheider.

Paper: Clairefontaine 90g/m.

fpn_1525458944__diamine_macassar_kaweco_

Brilliant Brown is a very bright, cheery brown, and I wanted to show you by comparing it with a bright red ink.

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown in Pelikan Primapenna M.

Diamine Matador in Wing Sung 3003 EF.

fpn_1525520672__pelikan_4001_braun_diami

re: the Salamanger - Hmm, I was thinking this would be my next green but I might have to re-think that.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

re: the Salamanger - Hmm, I was thinking this would be my next green but I might have to re-think that.

Salamander is very much dependent on the nib you use. With a dry nib you can see the murky green/brown, with a wet nib it's a very dark gray, almost black, with a hint of brown. I'll put it in a wet nib and write/doodle something.