Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Red - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

Pelikan and Lamy and regular Pilot red are all very classic fountain pen red inks. Tons of shading, a very interesting take on red and if you want a “true” red chances are you will HATE them. If you want a lively and very inky red suitable for extended writing they should all be good. I’m not positive the Pilot and Lamy are in this thread, but the Pelikan definitely is. I believe they’re all on the decent dry time end of things.

Just in looking this thread over to page 11, I found Diamine Poppy, De Atrementis, and Montblanc Corn Poppy Red. If I can confirm 3, it’s a safe bet there’s at least one more.

Caroubier is great stuff in my book, but it can also strike people as washed out or unpleasant due to the shading. But if you like the looks of it, you might well like Pelikan, Lamy or Pilot too. If you determine you want a bit more gel ink look, Kaweco Ruby Red and J Herbin Rouge Opera will be more blue toned and less shading. And Platinum’s Flame Red.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite strange I haven't tried for the classics up until now, maybe I'll try a Sheaffer Skrip or Pelikan 4001.

I'll also keep on a lookout for Caroubier, thanks for the suggestion.

Oh I forgot, my reference for red gel ink are on the Uni-Ball Signo gel pens, the color is perfect for marking up my work documents hence I'm looking for similar bright color with no darkening / black halo effect

I ADORE CRVs

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I ADORE CRVs

Hope you got my recent pack of CRV for your amusement... I thought the "envelope" might grab your attention... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Krishna Jungle Red

fpn_1535653381__2018-08-29_ink_5.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Krisha Jungle Volcano and Krishna Azaelia

fpn_1535653263__2018-08-29_ink_3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I posted scans of some burgundy inks in the purple thread and Amberlea suggested I share them with the red folk as well. The posts are #s 442 and 443.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/279353-inky-t-o-d-color-swatches-violet-purple-please-post-your-pictures-and-tell-us-your-thoughts/page-23

http://statland.org/PenPix/burgundy1.jpg

BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT! I love them! (What's the blue and the pink?)

Pink Krishna Azelia #477

Levenger Cobalt

• 3 weeks later...

Now, having discovered the links on your page amber, I am in trouble and have just, after going through this thread, ordered a whole load of inks, pens, pencil leads etc!

Pure pens, as mentioned by Halloween, are a great find for Noodlers inks and pens here in the UK!

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Pure pens, as mentioned by Halloween, are a great find for Noodlers inks and pens here in the UK!

:thumbup: Glad to enable help!

:thumbup: Glad to enable help!

:lticaptd: I'll bet!

Your posts on here are wonderful, Thank you for all your work.

So many colors available.. I'm gonna end up becoming an ink hoarder seeing all your beautiful swatches 😂

My limited palette of 'reds'

Maybe cactus fruit is more of a pink/purple

In my current pen, the burgundy and black swan look too similar. The latter will be going into a flex nib pen as soon as it arrives 🤔

post-146308-0-06769900-1543046906_thumb.jpg

I enjoy the eel inks for their cleaning abilities. Platinum red looks great in a huge nib (though it is pink until you see their pink).

Rohrer and Klingner Fernambuk. Is it a red? Is it a pink? Is it a red-pink? Is it a pink-red? Who knows?

fpn_1543097299__rk_fernambuk.jpg

So many attempts at red ink are red-pink that I have to wonder if we need an ink that is intentionally red-pink;-)

So many attempts at red ink are red-pink that I have to wonder if we need an ink that is intentionally red-pink;-)

+1. I prefer orangey reds to pink reds, although I've been tempted to buy Fernambuk just because of the name (Sherlock Holmes fans will understand).

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a scan of an ink I bought in response to this eBay heading:

3D4A 25ml Fountain Pen Ink Painting Drawing Creative Non-Carbon Ink

http://statland.org/PenPix/Karkos.jpg

The scans underestimate the difference between the original and the doctored versions. The ink was listed as "Burgundy.", "wine red." and "Bordeaux" depending on what part of the listing you read. It arrived the color of sliced fresh strawberries. A little Thornton Blue made it a maroon that is close to the color of some red wines. I like it better than the many premixed "Burgundy" and "Bordeaux" inks that have a dirty brown tinge. I called the worst of those "Dregs of Wine".

• 4 months later...

My wife is a classical archaeologist, and Hadrian is her favorite Emperor, so Montblanc's new Homage to Hadrian ink was a must-buy. An interesting red/orange/brown kind of hybrid color. I quite like it, though a nice wet nib like on this Eversharp helps flatter it quite a bit. The photo isn't the best, but I think it is fairly accurate.

Wq10qv0.jpg

Edited by VivaTerlingua