Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Red - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, wow, I love it!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Verlaine! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I agree Pilot Mixable Red sheens easily (even on papers other than Tomoe river), but it also feathers easily. -_-

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

That's true! The Mixable cartridges feather a lot. Some are terrible, like Pink, Orange, Sepia. Some not as bad, like Red, Blue, Violet.

I've only tried the Red (though I think I still have a Black cartridge that also came with my Parallel), I didn't realise it was one of the better behaved colours. I'm staying away from the others, for sure, I don't think the paper I have on hand could handle them. :mellow:

I don't think there's anyone left unfamiliar with J Herbin's Rouge Hematite, but I'm trying to organize my ink notebook (and stay organized!) so here it is, my only red ink. :P

26861145811_dd9fa14cb4_z.jpg

26861085041_b0cdf4aa27_z.jpg

I think my bottle must have come from the 3rd or 4th batch (at least), and as it is, the gold shimmer is a lot more subtle than in Emerald of Chivor.

I don't think there's anyone left unfamiliar with J Herbin's Rouge Hematite, but I'm trying to organize my ink notebook (and stay organized!) so here it is, my only red ink. :P

26861145811_dd9fa14cb4_z.jpg

26861085041_b0cdf4aa27_z.jpg

I think my bottle must have come from the 3rd or 4th batch (at least), and as it is, the gold shimmer is a lot more subtle than in Emerald of Chivor.

Love! It would be the perfect red ink if it didn't stain so terribly,..

Love! It would be the perfect red ink if it didn't stain so terribly,..

The staining is annoying. I was using it with dip pens only until I found a pen I cared for sufficiently little to use it with. :P

• 2 weeks later...

All ink fans are required to post their version of Rouge Hematite. I don't know which incarnation I have, but it's exquisite. The scan does not show the amazing sheen, but that's what makes this ink all the more mysterious and desirable!

fpn_1420327051__rouge_hematite-hjb.jpg

Oh now I know which new red to try!

I can't take it .... really, I'm swooning.

18 pages of RED? My favorite ink color of all time.

I've added several to the shopping cart already. Each one will require it's own demonstrator though .... it's just unbearable all this red.

Love those lipstick colors of yours! Here's what I have on the desk:

fpn_1417471911__red_inks-1.jpeg

fpn_1417471927__red_inks-2.jpeg

Stop stop! I can't take it anymore!

Pass the smelling salts. All this red has me undone.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Red/2014-Ink_181c.jpg

Do you mean, perhaps, Waterman's Audacious Red ? Or is there a simple Waterman's Red?

Warm colors --a variety, but mostly reds...

fpn_1417660228__ink_colors-warm-dec_2014

But where does one find Diamine's Deep Dark Orange in the US? I only see it being offered in the UK at Cult Pens. Anyone have a lead for me?

And then there's what courses through my veins, occasionally, in the evening ;) .

fpn_1422658602__wine_face_off.jpeg

And isn't there a Syrah out there too?

Now, all of the sudden, the reds have a mouth flavor.

Loving your pages. Thank you.

A

Oh boy! That's my secret but will tell you anyways! I take a smoothing kit and run the nib until it is buttery smooth. Sometimes, I create a small "foot" with the tip to fit my hand positions.

Then, I take the nib and see how wet it is. If I don't like it (I rarely do), I take a plastic sheet (from Pilot Parallel) and run it through the tines. If it doesn't fit, I flex the nib out a tiny bit to get the sheet firmly slotted. 15 minutes of the sheet being there, followed by back and forth motions really make the nib very wet. Do some more smoothing and adjustments as I see fit afterwards.

Different story for Noodler's pens though! Those are a different beast!

and what is this every so mysterious Pilot Parallel plastic sheet? Might you give just one more hint for us sleuths?

This ink has pens that it really loves and others that it tolerates.

oh oh oh oh!

Might you offer a source for this one? I've not yet tried a Kwzi ink, nor had I even heard of them until recently.

A

and what is this every so mysterious Pilot Parallel plastic sheet? Might you give just one more hint for us sleuths?

Well, the Pilot Parallel (flat nibbed calligraphy pen) comes with a very thin plastic sheet that is normally used to clean out paper fibers stuck in the nib. It's similar to a brass shim, but much more flexible and can get into very tight nibs due to its thinness.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

The Feverish and Swoony Red Ink Shopping List now includes

• Herbin Rouge Hematite

• Levenger Cardinal Red

• Diamine Deep Dark Orange

• Mont Blanc Corn Poppy Red

• Parker Quink Red

• Sailor (Kingdom Note) Nipponia Nippon (Crested Ibis)

• Diamine Wild Strawberry

I tend to like the bright pure reds, without pink or purple tones. Any other suggestions?

Now to order the list; I shall have to plan my orders over the next months.

Thank you to all of you for this most delicious and outrageous and feverish conversation/show and tell.

The Feverish and Swoony Red Ink Shopping List now includes

• Herbin Rouge Hematite

• Levenger Cardinal Red

• Diamine Deep Dark Orange

• Mont Blanc Corn Poppy Red

• Parker Quink Red

• Sailor (Kingdom Note) Nipponia Nippon (Crested Ibis)

• Diamine Wild Strawberry

I tend to like the bright pure reds, without pink or purple tones. Any other suggestions?

I think of myself as a red connoisseur, so you may not want to see what I have to suggest. ;)

The MB Corn Poppy Red is deeper than it sounds, so if you want brighter, then Diamine or de Atramentis Poppy might be useful. Akkerman China Town Red is also very vibrant and bright.

Just the other day I had a chance to play with Pelikan Edelstein Garnet —I was thoroughly impressed, but it leans ever so slightly to the orange side, if that doesn't bother you too much I think you might like it. I saw that you had Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange (EXCELLENT choice!), so you might like the particular shade of Garnet.

Also, if you want to deeper and more moody, I could suggest a few of the richer reds. Let me know!

Edited by HalloweenHJB