The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Do Conway Stewart Nibs Trend On The Large Side?

cs conway stewart cs nibs comparatively larger nibs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 b1lynch

b1lynch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:25

From what I can gather Conway Stewart Fine nibs are 0.7mm which makes them the same size as a Pelikan M and the Conway Stewart medium is 0.9mm which would put it between a Pelikan B and BB - does that sound right?   ...of course you may or may not be a Pelikan users, so I am really asking if generally CS nibs are known to run large vs. other nibs?  Does anyone have any info?

....I ask because I recently purchased a CS 58 with an EF nib which I was assuming would be way to small for me because I generally like a medium nib although I do have a Lamy 2000 F and a Montblanc 146 F which I regularly use when writing on standard office / copier paper.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Sponsored Content

#2 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 15:35

So was it too small?

#3 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,230 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 15:41

I personally have two Conway Stewart's with EF nibs and they seem to be fairly fine, but not as Fine as my Sailor with its EF nib.
The only Pelikan I have has a BB nib so I cannot compare.

#4 b1lynch

b1lynch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:16

So was it too small?

Delivery delayed due to insufficient postage - first time that's happened!

...I'm sure the nib will be too small but I'm unclear if I need to jump to a fine or a medium.

Bill

#5 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:34

Conway Stewart EF nibs are anything but. You may find them to be more than wide enough for your purpose.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#6 Barnaby Bumble

Barnaby Bumble

Extremely Rare

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:29

If it's wider than a Pelikan medium, it's really wide.  My M800 medium writes more like a broad.  In fact, I have a broad nib that writes narrower than it does.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

#7 juacal

juacal

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:37

I personally have two Conway Stewart's with EF nibs and they seem to be fairly fine, but not as Fine as my Sailor with its EF nib.
The only Pelikan I have has a BB nib so I cannot compare.

I agree (two Churchills with F and EF nibs) and definetely finer than my Pelikan's EF nibs.

#8 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:04

I agree (two Churchills with F and EF nibs) and definetely finer than my Pelikan's EF nibs.

+1 on my Marlborough F which is a true fine or even on the thin side, whereas all my Pelikans have been more like one thickness up in the nib size (EF = F). Not to add a wrench in the works, but I've been wondering whether the plating of the nib comes in to play. The 14 or 18k nibs with rhodium plating have all tended to be thinner than gold-colored nibs. Could just be a coincidence though...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cs, conway stewart, cs nibs, comparatively larger nibs

Sponsored Content

|