The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Diamine 150 Anniversary 1864 Blue-Black

1864 blue-black diamine 1864 blue-black diamine inks

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bhavna

Bhavna

Inkredibles!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 15:13

How I love this colour!

fpn_1417273963__1864_blue_black.jpg

fpn_1417273110__all_inks_swatch_sml.jpg

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 15:14

Definitely not my color.

#3 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:42

I just love this ink! Phil at Diamine asked me if I thought it was a bit too dark, or similar to black. Personally I don't think so at all and said so. The resultant 1864 went ahead into production without change and I'm very glad at the result.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#4 schticy

schticy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:55

Great review - this is one of my favourites too. A really solid blue black (in all the ways that my Waterman blue-black just isn't). I've tried it in a few pens - and it's worked beautifully in all of them.

And I can confirm there's definitely some lovely sheen available with a wetter nib - here's a closeup of the M1000 with a double broad nib on rhodia:

blueblack-sheen.jpg

#5 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 18:04

Great review - this is one of my favourites too. A really solid blue black (in all the ways that my Waterman blue-black just isn't). I've tried it in a few pens - and it's worked beautifully in all of them.

And I can confirm there's definitely some lovely sheen available with a wetter nib - here's a closeup of the M1000 with a double broad nib on rhodia:

attachicon.gifblueblack-sheen.jpg

Nice - very nice!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 22:45

Is it my imagination or is this darker and richer looking than Eclipse (which is an ink I like a whole lot)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,080 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:47

I love the reviews!  Thank you.

If you get around to it, I'd love to CRV these.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#8 Bhavna

Bhavna

Inkredibles!

• Member - Gold

• 1,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2014 - 16:31

Thank you so much for this delicious image of sheen!
If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

#9 Bhavna

Bhavna

Inkredibles!

• Member - Gold

• 1,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2014 - 16:32

Is it my imagination or is this darker and richer looking than Eclipse (which is an ink I like a whole lot)?
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Marginally richer, this more moody to my eyes.

#10 Bhavna

Bhavna

Inkredibles!

• Member - Gold

• 1,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2014 - 16:33

I love the reviews!  Thank you.

If you get around to it, I'd love to CRV these.

Excellent. On way, enjoy.

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,080 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2014 - 19:31

Woo Hoo!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#12 bstnnyc

bstnnyc

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2014 - 22:04

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of these reviews Bhavna. Blue Velvet was initially the ink I was most excited to try from the Anniversary Inks but after seeing the full pages of writing it's definitely this one!

And thank you for the sheen image schticy; now I'm definitely sold :P

I just love this ink! Phil at Diamine asked me if I thought it was a bit too dark, or similar to black. Personally I don't think so at all and said so. The resultant 1864 went ahead into production without change and I'm very glad at the result.

I'm so happy you helped push for this dark of a color The Good Captain; I cannot wait to try it!

#13 Bhavna

Bhavna

Inkredibles!

• Member - Gold

• 1,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2014 - 19:52

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of these reviews Bhavna. Blue Velvet was initially the ink I was most excited to try from the Anniversary Inks but after seeing the full pages of writing it's definitely this one!

You are most welcome. I like your colour choices and you should absolutely see both side by side, they are electric..!

#14 English

English

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 15:46

I have a couple of samples of the 1864 blue black from Goulet. Love it, especially how it dries quickly. It's still not available from US retailers ... They all seem to be waiting for their shipments to arrive. It's killing me because my 2 samples are almost gone. I had been using Noodler's Blue Black. On Rhodia paper especially, though, it takes so long to dry. Was very pleased to find the 1864 doesn't have that issue. The color is wonderful and has a slight sheen even after drying.

C'mon Diamine - get that boat to the U.S. loaded and let us have some of this ink on this side of the pond :)

#15 Bhavna

Bhavna

Inkredibles!

• Member - Gold

• 1,404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 18:05

I have a couple of samples of the 1864 blue black from Goulet. Love it, especially how it dries quickly. It's still not available from US retailers ... They all seem to be waiting for their shipments to arrive. It's killing me because my 2 samples are almost gone. I had been using Noodler's Blue Black. On Rhodia paper especially, though, it takes so long to dry. Was very pleased to find the 1864 doesn't have that issue. The color is wonderful and has a slight sheen even after drying.

C'mon Diamine - get that boat to the U.S. loaded and let us have some of this ink on this side of the pond :)

Has it arrived yet? I am sorry you have had to wait, but very exciting that you have been able to sample some! I use 1864 in some way pretty much every day which is really lovely. 

#16 J85909266

J85909266

Fountain Blade

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:17

I thought I was going to love this one, but I just didn't. It's not really a blue black. It's a stealth black. Ninety percent of the time, it just looks black. It has to be great lighting to see the blue.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

#17 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2015 - 16:29

I thought I was going to love this one, but I just didn't. It's not really a blue black. It's a stealth black. Ninety percent of the time, it just looks black. It has to be great lighting to see the blue.

Yes, I just got a sample of this and found this to be the case as well.  It's *definitely* a darker color than Eclipse.  

I'm still trying to decide if I like it....

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#18 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2015 - 17:18

Great review. In the spectrum of Blue-Blacks this is definitely one of the darker I have tried. I like the fact that is so very dark. Rich color & subtle blue tones with some sheen and shading that comes out with broad nibs. Sounds like people either love or not care for this ink?

"Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into are awake through the years with transferred touch and go on glowing for long years. And for this reason, some old things are lovely warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

#19 Scribble Monboddo

Scribble Monboddo

Not-so-serious nibbage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 14:57

I quite like this but wasn't so sure that it really made a big enough impression to warrant the mark-up.  The Blue Velvet did, though. 

#20 Pira

Pira

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 17:19

For what it's worth, here is a Tree Test I did back in December:

15819745250_b44b3f0728_z.jpgBlue Black tree by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1864 blue-black, diamine 1864 blue-black, diamine inks

Sponsored Content

|