The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Cracks In Platinum 3776 Sai?

platinum sai crack demonstrator

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 14:18

I recently ordered one of these. Nice looking pen, but when it arrived there was a hairline crack along the barrel. Really fine, possibly more of a scratch.

Anyhow, the seller was really great and sent a replacement - but if anything the second one has got an even worse mark on it.

Is this a problem with this model or is it possible to get a clean pen?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Sponsored Content

#2 GAtkins

GAtkins

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 15:43

Any chance it's similar to this?

http://www.fountainp...terial-problem/

Glenn

#3 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 16:05

Wow you can get a limited edition pen so easily?! Hmm I dunno

#4 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 17:23

Any chance it's similar to this?

http://www.fountainp...terial-problem/

Glenn

Oh wow - no, nothing like that. Just a scratch or fine crack along the barrel .... Doubt I could pick it out with my camera ....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

#5 E8x8

E8x8

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 20:52

It's a manufacturing artifact common to a range of  Platinum pens. According to one retailer, it's nothing to worry about. 

"Please note that most Shoji pens have minute cracks or scratches in the gripping section. Platinum describes this as an artifact of the manufacturing process and does not consider these pens to be defective. These hard-to-see imperfections are cosmetic only and do not affect the reliability or writing qualities of the pen itself."

- From http://nibs.com/Plat...3776-Shoji.html

Enjoy your pen.

#6 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 13:38

Thanks. Before I saw your pen, I sent the second one back, and the retailer checked their stock and ALL of them had scratches.

Generally I like the pen, so I took it back. But surely Platinum must be able to make a pen without scratches on the barrel? TWSBI can do it .....

No, it's not a deal- breaker, and I'll enjoy writing with it. But there will always be that niggle and after all, it's not a cheap pen.

#7 ahtzib

ahtzib

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 18:26

It's a manufacturing artifact common to a range of  Platinum pens. According to one retailer, it's nothing to worry about. 

"Please note that most Shoji pens have minute cracks or scratches in the gripping section. Platinum describes this as an artifact of the manufacturing process and does not consider these pens to be defective. These hard-to-see imperfections are cosmetic only and do not affect the reliability or writing qualities of the pen itself."

- From http://nibs.com/Plat...3776-Shoji.html

Enjoy your pen.

I was looking around for information about cracked Platinum sections and was very interested to see this thread, especially the quote about the manufacturing process. Classic Pens (i.e., nibs.com) has updated their site since 2014, and no longer has an entry for the discontinued Shoji pen or this quoted disclaimer about these "artifacts of the manufacturing process."

I'm hoping that such cracks really aren't a defect because, though I've not seen this disclaimer anywhere else I've looked, I've swapped out my Oshino barrel via distributor Luxury Brands (who have been quite helpful) and it doesn't seem possible to get a barrel without a hairline crack. (And at nearly an inch long, the "artifacts" are hardly "minute.") My section has a similar hairline crack, as well, though I haven't tried replacing it because so far it isn't leaking.

As long as the pen doesn't leak, I guess it's okay. But for the cost of the pen and the quality of the nib, it seems like using materials that don't fracture would be a paramount consideration. (And as Platinum seems to be pushing their special edition acrylic 3776s towards an eye-watering $500, this would seem to be a particular concern!) Other pen makers (e.g., Pelikan, Pilot, Sailor) use clear or translucent acrylics that don't similarly develop hairline cracks as part of the manufacturing process, so it's disappointing that you can't get the same quality from Platinum.

At the very least, I'd like Platinum to be more up front about their process and the resulting "artifacts." As great as the nib is, I ultimately would have passed on the Oshino if I'd known what I was actually going to get.  

Edited by ahtzib, 05 September 2020 - 18:34.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, sai, crack, demonstrator

Sponsored Content

|