Swan Lever Fillers - What Do I Have Here?

Daddy-O

Having got over my highly autistic flourish I've had a look at the link Cob, you're right she is interesting, thank you.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wet-Noodle

• Cob

• Effin1

• Goudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That paper looks a bit challenging for a flexible nib to me - the photo suggests that it is highly textured; am I correct?

If so try on some decent cream-laid stuff that it smooth and see how you get on. And don't forget to try a few different inks - Florence of Miss Darcy's Library has some excellent suggestions of stockists in I think the 5th or 6th arrondissements.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Yes, that's Conqueror, I could feel the Swan 1 going for a full épilation job! Mark you I do admit that that was a bit of a leg pull, I'll do something more serious shortly. I'll chase up those addresses, I know one great place for interesting stationary on the Left Bank, another in the passage Choiseul in the1st, and one close to us in the haut Marais at Saint Paul.

Well yes Cob Le facteur he is, but 'e is still Le postie to me!

My 100/ 60 is a lot of fun, what a surprise that this delicate looking writing instrument is so full of expression! At the moment I'm going for the Ralph Steadman look and slightly expect to explode the nib into a banana look-alike at any moment.

I think 3/ 10 for artistic expression and nul point for technical merit so far don't you?

Remember Paul Pennyfeather "There will be a prize of half-a-crown for the longest essay regardless of any merit" Your half-crown awaits!

Now when I was in Haute Savoie we had une facteuse (what is the female of "postie"?) a delightful friendly lady whose son bred the checkens we used to purchase when one or other of ours croaked or was taken by les reynards de merde; oh for un fusil de chasse. I hate foxes; the chickens were my friends, I was so angry one morning when I found the hen-run laid waste with blood and feathers everywhere.

But I am hors topique!

Now I go!

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Talking of hors topique, I fear I've rather hijacked Daddy-o's post... Not good. How are your "finds" coming on Daddy-o? Are you settling in with them?

Would that be a Postéette Cob? Probably not.

Talking of hors topique, I fear I've rather hijacked Daddy-o's post... Not good. How are your "finds" coming on Daddy-o? Are you settling in with them?

Would that be a Postéette Cob? Probably not.

Postrice?

Better. If she was very experienced, knowledgable, then she might qualify as a posteriori sort of postrice.... Which is not to say a prostate postrice.

All of which Cob adds to our better understanding of Mabie Todd 200/ 60 bladders, I think I'm going to be needing one on Monday, as my less than perfect 200/ 60 is due to arrive (with the postie).

Can you very kindly advise on the probable bladder diameter?

Better. If she was very experienced, knowledgable, then she might qualify as a posteriori sort of postrice.... Which is not to say a prostate postrice.

All of which Cob adds to our better understanding of Mabie Todd 200/ 60 bladders, I think I'm going to be needing one on Monday, as my less than perfect 200/ 60 is due to arrive (with the postie).

Can you very kindly advise on the probable bladder diameter?

[sorry Daddy-O]!

A SM200/60 should take a 16.

Or is it a L200/60 (leverless)? If so it gets trickier.

Cob

It is identified as a Mabie Todd Vintage Swan Fountain Pen 2SF-MED BCHR (14k Flexible)

It definitely has a rather grotty leaver. So my guess is: NO water, GENTLE heat and ease the section out gently remove old badder and debris, clean the nib section only under running water, brush out the body (pipe cleaners and very narrow brush, gently do best to clean leaver. Check nib under loop, check iridium, dip test, if OK cut new bladder to correct length, dab shellac on clean nipple, on slip new bladder. Leave it to set. Reassemble, fil and .... pray.... '

It is identified as a Mabie Todd Vintage Swan Fountain Pen 2SF-MED BCHR (14k Flexible)

It definitely has a rather grotty leaver. So my guess is: NO water, GENTLE heat and ease the section out gently remove old badder and debris, clean the nib section only under running water, brush out the body (pipe cleaners and very narrow brush, gently do best to clean leaver. Check nib under loop, check iridium, dip test, if OK cut new bladder to correct length, dab shellac on clean nipple, on slip new bladder. Leave it to set. Reassemble, fil and .... pray.... '

A 2SF is not a 200/60!

The sac is probably still a 16 (the size is the measurements in 64ths of an inch). You will need some sort of stretcher to fit the sac to the peg - a correctly-sized sac will not "slip on", a pair of blunted dividers will work if you do not have the correct tool. You will need some sort of tool - e.g a dental probe to remove all the old sac most likely and a barrel brush to clean out the interior.

Try not to get the section too wet externally - it will discolour. If you are not equipped to remove the nib and feed, then you should have a rubber bulb to push water under pressure through the section; in most cases I have found that this is not enough and the nib and feed must come out (more tools); it is surprising how persistent the muck in the small feed channels can be; soaking the section might soften it but you will end up with a café crème coloured section.

When you refer to the "grotty lever" what does that mean? Do you mean it it doesn't move or are you referring to the gold plating?

Best of luck with it.

Cob

Thank you Cobb,

Yes, sorry a 2SF.

I probably have all the necessary tools and enjoy working on and restoring delicate objects. Your advice is very useful.

One parts supplier identifies the 2SF as a size 18 so I might get both.

Thank you Cobb,

Yes, sorry a 2SF.

I probably have all the necessary tools and enjoy working on and restoring delicate objects. Your advice is very useful.

One parts supplier identifies the 2SF as a size 18 so I might get both.

Quite likely! I had one a long time ago; I have never known why Swan produced an 'SF2' and a '2SF' I have had only one 2SF and l that was a long time ago; I think I still have the (cracked) barrel somewhere.

C.

Wet Noodle The pen is fully restored and ready to write. The picture of the lever made it look awful but it's actually in very good condition. I re-plated it. Nothing to do but fill with ink. I will take my own pictures next time and check everything but the next lot will not be as cheap.

Something odd. I received an email notification of a reply from Effin1 in this thread (I think) but there is no sign of it here. The message was

"

Wet-Noodle,

Effin1 (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/user/80360-effin1/) has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Swan Lever Fillers - What Do I Have Here?".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wet Noodle The pen is fully restored and ready to write. The picture of the lever made it look awful but it's actually in very good condition. I re-plated it. Nothing to do but fill with ink. I will take my own pictures next time and check everything but the next lot will not be as cheap."

I've replied privately of course, but it looks as if Effin1 's SF2 was an excellent buy. I will give it a good home here in Paris. He's right to review his prices.

I could be wrong but I think you bought the MT SF2 from me so I was letting you know it is fully restored and ready to write and the lever looks fine. If you did not buy from me sorry.

He's a she and I don't normally sell so cheaply but I had a change of medication and so asked my handyman to list just to sell. I'm trying to sort out all the flexy nibs. They are all gold and on 1st tier pens. I had a data base but I bought so many pens in 2014 just repairing took all my time. I've got about 60 pens to write test so I better get my finger out. I was hoping to list 5 pens each week but I've only found a couple. I've got about 26 inked so don't want to ink any more until these are fully tested and cleaned out.

I've replied to Effin1 privately, but basically yes, I did buy my 2SF... (NOT 200/60) from her NOT him, and yes I'm delighted, as well as hopelessly confused.

Clearly I should come off my French NHS mood enhancers, quietly sit in a corner somewhere, stare at the wall and gather my wit - gathering my 'wits' might be asking too much.

Il postino had better watch it tomorrow morning, I'll be lying in wait for him and Effin1's 2SF with pot of Diamine Denim Blue in hand and ready to plunge!

Slurp. Cob, this time I'll take your advice and avoid testing its flex on a Kleenex.

Bonjour Effin1,

The Mabie Todd 2.S.F. Has arrived safely here in sunny (at last) Paris. You are right of course, it's a super pen, in really excellent condition and the nib is such fun! Weeeee!

I'm delighted to have purchased both your pen and Cob's Mabie Todd 100/ 60. And not just that, but to have made contact with you both on the FPN forum, which is the icing on the cake of course.

Now I have every incentive to get to work, to write and to improve my scrappy style - I always wanted to tackle this, and now have the time, inclination and... AND not just one but two thoroughly inspiring fountain pens!

I'm spoiled.

Kind thoughts to you both

Wet-Noodle

post-120509-0-64188300-1424090655_thumb.jpg

Yes glad you are pleased - Elfin's pen looks to be excellent - can we have a picture please as I have never seen a slip-cap SF.

Rgds

Cob