The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Really? I'm Not Sure If I Find This Amazing Or Ridiculous.

jetpens eraser pencil

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:13

I'm sure a lot of people here receive the Jetpens newsletter in their email. When I saw this today, I had to ask myself if I could one day bring myself to buy this thing, as I frequently use wooden pencils and erasers. Even the promo video is tongue in cheek and the thing looks like a joke to me... I'm a stationary freak like a lot of you out, but this... I don't know.

Would any of you pencil users buy (and actually use) an item like this? I really am curious.

Here it is:

http://www.jetpens.c...I-Blue/pd/12947

Sponsored Content

#2 Suji

Suji

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:14

I wouldn't but then again I almost never use pencils, except for Scantron.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

#3 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:21

The alternative that is usually done is the eraser crud is brushed onto the floor.

So I can see the value if you are on carpet, as you would not want the eraser crud going into the carpet.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 23-25, 2019 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#4 Tberry010

Tberry010

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:22

When most drafting was done with pencils at a slanted desk there was almost always a brush on the surface easily grabbed to sweep those erasure leavings off the image.  If I had to erase a lot I might consider it, but it looks fairly small and is a little expensive for what it does.

#5 Betweenthelines

Betweenthelines

The road goes ever on and on..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:45

Cute.  Reminds me of this guy:

e9313222dd47314a362f1d794927d8a2.png

#6 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:48

If I used pencil more often, I'd consider it. My current system involves using my hand to sweep eraser "dust" onto the floor and then later on vacuuming it. That seems like it'd eliminate two steps.  ;)

#7 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:09

If I used pencil more often, I'd consider it. My current system involves using my hand to sweep eraser "dust" onto the floor and then later on vacuuming it. That seems like it'd eliminate two steps.  ;)

Yep, that's what I do. I have to vacuum anyway, so there you go. For some reason, it reminds me of the most wonderful of inventions, the Rotato!

Betweenthelines: what is that?

#8 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:09

When most drafting was done with pencils at a slanted desk there was almost always a brush on the surface easily grabbed to sweep those erasure leavings off the image.  If I had to erase a lot I might consider it, but it looks fairly small and is a little expensive for what it does.

I was thinking along this line, as well.  The draftsman brush is actually quite expensive, in 2014.  My buddy, Phil, draws in pencil and 

colors with ink.  Any dirt on the paper is havoc for the ink that follows.  Phil uses a very soft sweeper brush, and a low-intensity hair

dryer.  He doesn't think much of the toy.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#9 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:20

Back in my drafting days, I'd have used it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#10 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• 1,185 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:21

Oh I used to have this but have probably given it away. It's quite an old design so I'm surprised to see it. It works and it's cute although somewhat unnecessary. 

--another stationery freak--

#11 Betweenthelines

Betweenthelines

The road goes ever on and on..

• Member - Gold

• 811 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:22

Yep, that's what I do. I have to vacuum anyway, so there you go. For some reason, it reminds me of the most wonderful of inventions, the Rotato!

Betweenthelines: what is that?

He's the little cleanup robot from Wall-E. :)

#12 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:30

Now if it would clean up those little paper punch circles that resist being picked up by fingers: maybe, maybe it would be worth a try. I usually use a dough eraser that doesn't leave behind crumbs plus it would take up space on an already overcrowded desk.  But, maybe if it picked up those pesky paper punch circles!  And, if it could be painted with acrylic paint to look like a little car my grandson might have fun playing with it.

Edited by linearM, 27 November 2014 - 05:35.

#13 PS104

PS104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:43

I love the feel of a wooden pencil. But they are not all the same. The Blackwings are a favorite (probably because of a higher quality of graphite and are used sparingly. I recognize that mechanical pencils have their own unique charms.

With regard to the eraser I personally I prefer to use the white vinyl,eg, MagicRub erasers by Faber Castell. They don't smudge and never seem to dry out like the regular erasers do. When I have to use a regular eraser I always have a piece of fine grit sandpaper on hand to rub the eraser on. It seems to make it work better by not smudging. They seem to dry out and/or collect body oil both of which are causes of smudging.

That being said this looks like a great stocking stuffer

#14 martinbir

martinbir

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:40

Looks like fun.

I do use mechanical pencils and I think this little gizmo would encourage mistakes. No point letting it sit in its garage all day, is there?

#15 Kuhataparunks

Kuhataparunks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:57

Some people have so much money they just want something to spend money on.
Come on... People BUY trash bags quite literally for the purpose of throwing them away. Throwing away money, right? In a sense. So I use old dry cleaning bags, they work great, and they're free and plentiful.

#16 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 18:14

Looks like a lot of fun!

#17 Polanova

Polanova

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 21:40

It looks like the best use for it would be to stick it unto the wall in it`s original packaging

(like I do with my Midori cutter - cool design object).

Useful?

Compared to my broad brush (20 cm): Hardly!

#18 DanielWS

DanielWS

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 23:34

I still have my horse hair drafting brush from junior high school but if this gadget picks up crumbs from cheese Danish I'd be very tempted.  That wet sugar stuff from the Danish gives me fits with my drafting brush.

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." The Dalai Lama

#19 mike.jane

mike.jane

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:49

Well I wouldn't buy one mainly because I don't use a pencil much (and my desk is already full as it is). But I think it's certainly not a bad idea in the eyes of some people.

Plus, it's cute and the design is appealing all around. The video on the website is quite elaborate for s/th so...small and well made.

There seems to be a pun in the slogan, but I don't get it: 'Sweeps anywhere passes' Can someone explain this to me? I love me a good pun.

I even throw you the link to the vid on youtube and the right position in the video. that's how serious I'm about this. http://youtu.be/qS8JdnJNcZU?t=2m14s

#20 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:20

As if I really needed to clutter my desk with something that isn't ink, paper or pen...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jetpens, eraser, pencil

Sponsored Content

|