Jinhao Shooter Series. Wow

oneill

I have been posting comments about Jinhao & Baoer pens for years now but my latest purchase of one of the above has to exceed my wildest dreams for quality and design and of course price.They are advertised on the Bay for around $3.50 including postage and yes you may have to wait a few weeks before you get it but when you do you wont want to put it down for weight, Finger configuration, Nib, in fact the whole look of the pen, AND ITS PERFORMANCE. As usual with Jinhao it would be wise to first give the Convertor a wash out with a drop of soapy suds and ammonia, after that it should be plain sailing.In the meanwhile I am off to buy a bunch of them for Xmas Presents

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/2011481240704040_2.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oneill

• k3eax

• Aushiker

• jekostas

Great value, with the occasional failure of quality control.

I bid on 599's thirty times @ $2.01 . I won seven pens for a total of $12.40 . One dud.

I enjoy sharing them with the occasional Girl Scout and newbie.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Is it the same as the 599? They look very similar.

Yes it is the 599 and if you make sure you flush it out you should not have any problems/

Yes it is the 599 and if you make sure you flush it out you should not have any problems/

The first 599 I got from eBay had a broken feed. Couldn't be bothered to contact the seller so I just jammed a spare Kaweco F nib + feed in to the collar and it works like a charm.

May I apologise to anyone reading this report,the Jinhao shooter series may have more than one model, I have just looked at them again and I noticed that the plain one is a 559. and the one which appears to have a small window is 599, they are both alike apart from the small window

"Shooter", are you applying this name as a model designation to the metal and windowless version of the Jinhao 599 that was referred to a by some as the T1?

Shooter is how they are both listed on E-Bay as far as I know and yes one has a window the other not, also it appears that it is made from Plastic and is not a Brass pen as most Jinhao's are,They are both great pens and as I said before I think the Finger Hold is an outstanding feature as many people today don't know how to hold a writing instrument,this makes it easy for them.

The plastic versions of the 599 are quite different from the original 599. The original 599 has a lacquer over brass body and a plastic section. This also has the flat nib similar to the V-Pen as well as a feed that can freely rotate in the collar (the collar is hard rubber to provide grip).

The plastic versions of the 599 (often called 599a or 599c) are all plastic and have cut ink windows. They also have standard nibs with feeds that are keyed to the collar and won't rotate.

All that said, the bodys, sections and caps are all interchangeable so you can have some definite fun with them. You have to unscrew and replace the inner cap, though, as the cap clutch is different for different nib types.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/jekostas/Jinhao_zpsf22104cc.jpg

The plastic 599s also have a tendency for the barrel not to screw down tight to the section, in other words even when you screw them fully together, they're still a loose fit. Four out of my six have that problem.

Toodle pip<BR><BR><BR>

Zanshin, i found one of my 599s also to have a section to barrel loose fit problem which I corrected by wrapping a bit of cellophane tape around the threads..

• 2 weeks later...

There's actually 4 different versions of the 599, not course counting any that may have come out later this year.

Essentially

1st version : Metal cap/body, crimped nib that resembles Lamy (but not a clone like the Hero nibs), no ink window

2nd version : Plastic Cap/Body, same section, open style nib, ink window

3rd version : identical to 2nd version, but with crimped nib like first version.

4th version : identical to 3rd except the section has changed and with a hooded finer nib

http://kbeezie.com/jinhao-599-model-differences/

http://static.kbeezie.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/nibs.jpg

are Jinhao made in mainland China or somewhere else "Chines"? I mean Hongkong or Taiwan?

It is my understanding that they are made in China,They are listed as being in Shanghai

It's very well known that Jinhao/Baoer/etc is a Chinese brand. Item location that the seller lists doesn't mean anything by the way especially when you can buy a Faber-Castell from Malaysia, and a Jinhao from a USA store.

Edited by KBeezie

FYI KBeezie please note that Jinhao or Shanghai Qiangu Stationery company are listed in China.. Should you like to check for yourself Type Shanghai Qiangu Stationery Co and you can get their Mailing address from there.I hope this clarifies things for YOU.

FYI KBeezie please note that Jinhao or Shanghai Qiangu Stationery company are listed in China.. Should you like to check for yourself Type Shanghai Qiangu Stationery Co and you can get their Mailing address from there.I hope this clarifies things for YOU.

What's your point? The brand is already known to be Chinese, if it was being sold by someone in the United States showing the item location as United States, it's still Chinese, just means the inventory is currently stocked in the US, not an indicator of the product's origin of production.

Edited by KBeezie

Karl, while Shanghai Qiangu Stationary Company mail sound to you like a vendor, it is actually the manufacturer. And so, it is an indicator of the product's origin of production.