Massdrop Experience

ralfstc

So basically its not worth it? Anyone tried rakuten?

I've tried Rakuten a couple times, but only with the Bunkidou seller on their for my Platinum Century 3776 (both the black and red one) then later on for some cheaper stationery I couldn't find locally. No problems with them, but not sure about any other sellers, since it's basically like an Amazon market place, multiple sellers, same site. (Massdrop is of course the same, not every person initiating the drop is the same person, but least with Rakuten, I get my order within 3-4 days).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• wimg

• Jamerelbe

• FinalEleven

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been viewing the MD site along with the email alerts I receive daily. Not impressed with most of their deals, I'm starting to see shipping tacked on and the price is uncertain until enough buyers jump in. The savings aren't great and the wait isn't of interest to me as we're living in an impulsive online world (although I try my best to avoid shipping cost at all times). I've only seen one drop of interest ever which was the 3 pack of large Rhodiarama which are a bit hard to find but they kept changing the available colors constantly and eventually they had what I wanted but I was closed out at that point. In any event, I thought I would comment as a thread has developed.

I bought a few things on MD. I'm happy with what I have committed to and do a little research before buying from them.

Right now I'm waiting on a pair of JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors that were quite a bit cheaper than other sources. They sent an e-mail offering people to opt out since it's taking a little longer than expected.

I'm sure MD will be pretty good until it gets bought by Amazon and goes down hill like Woot did.

I've been viewing the MD site along with the email alerts I receive daily. Not impressed with most of their deals, I'm starting to see shipping tacked on and the price is uncertain until enough buyers jump in. The savings aren't great and the wait isn't of interest to me as we're living in an impulsive online world (although I try my best to avoid shipping cost at all times). I've only seen one drop of interest ever which was the 3 pack of large Rhodiarama which are a bit hard to find but they kept changing the available colors constantly and eventually they had what I wanted but I was closed out at that point. In any event, I thought I would comment as a thread has developed.

Horses for courses I think, but for mine, it's worth watching Massdrop and jumping on board if the deal works for you. Of course shipping is included in the price (plus a little extra for us foreigners), but that's part of the calculation. I love Goulet Pens (and Anderson Pens), and I've bought from JetPens once without hassle - not to mention Aussie webstores JustWrite and NoteMaker - but Massdrop in my experience has some really good deals. I've had to bail out of three so far (Lamy AL-star, Karas Kustoms INK, and Pilot Metropolitan), because on reflection I realised my wallet would not thank me - nor my family, if the bank balance started dipping too low!

• 9 months later...

Anyone who has any experience of the delivery process? Especially for shipments to EU.

When I track my goods DHL says " Processing Completed at Origin " on 16-Sept-2015"

I then use the Postal tracking number to see how it goes, the Swedish Postal service says there is not such a tracking number. When I then try the German Postal service they say "The item arrived at the International Logistics Center MT Newark on Sep 16, 2015". After that, nothing.... Today it's 21-Sept-2015. What is taking so long? At least it should have been shipped from the US.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

MD shipping does take a bit of time. It's normal for it to disappear for days and then appearing again. I believe they use multiple carriers and there's a few handoff, which explains why there are multiple tracking numbers and some works with your postal system and some doesn't. It's the compromise we have to give to keep shipping cost reasonable.

I'm in Asia and its normal for MD to take up to 3 weeks to get to me. EMS is usually a week and normal first class mail about 2 weeks.

I have done a 2 Pilot Drops, A Lamy 2k Drop, F-C drop, Rotring & Levenger.

0 issues thus far. Every drop has been flawless.

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Anyone who has any experience of the delivery process? Especially for shipments to EU.

When I track my goods DHL says " Processing Completed at Origin " on 16-Sept-2015"

I then use the Postal tracking number to see how it goes, the Swedish Postal service says there is not such a tracking number. When I then try the German Postal service they say "The item arrived at the International Logistics Center MT Newark on Sep 16, 2015". After that, nothing.... Today it's 21-Sept-2015. What is taking so long? At least it should have been shipped from the US.

Perhaps it's just a matter of your parcel being held up at customs? I don't know how things are in Sweden, but I do know that in Germany, if the customs office decides my parcel needs taxing I end up waiting days (sometimes weeks) before being informed my delivery is waiting at the local customs office.

Edited by I.M.

Perhaps it's just a matter of your parcel being held up at customs? I don't know how things are in Sweden, but I do know that in Germany, if the customs office decides my parcel needs taxing I end up waiting days (sometimes weeks) before being informed my delivery is waiting at the local customs office.

But according to the tracking information I get, the goods are still in Newark, NJ, USA....

Usually it says samething like "At import terminal", when the goods have arrived to Sweden but not passed customs.

YNWA - JFT97

I have done a 2 Pilot Drops, A Lamy 2k Drop, F-C drop, Rotring & Levenger.

0 issues thus far. Every drop has been flawless.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the end cost on the Lamy 2k drop? I've joined the Herbin 1670 and Rhodia No.18 pad drops. Both deals were sufficiently 'sweet' to get me to buy-in. I do like that you can 'commit' at a lower cost and wait to see if enough people join to reach it.

I really like MD. They introduce me to new products and their service is as good as (if not better than Amazon). Their p&p to Australia is amazing and quite honestly I don't know how it is sent from the US cheaper than a company in Australia sending to me. I never mind the wait and their communication is excellent.

I agree with Ian1964 - delivery charges on pens are very favourable for Australian buyers. I find most parcel tracking from Massdrop goes silent once the package leaves the US - if there's any tracking at all! - but so far none have gone astray.

I just tried it once and was exasperated at the wait,but I think worst case, the problem and risk could be contacting the responsible party for a defective item. Or wrong item. Or broken, etc... Imagine the wait!

I'm so far happy with Massdrop. They offer a lot of things I have never heard of and the discussions are usually pretty good.

There was a bit of a wait on a set of monitors, but that was due to a dockworkers strike.

I was happy to be able to order Super5 inks (I had ordered some before Goulet quit selling them, but now I will have them all). The drops for ink have not been too bad and since I have more ink at home the wait isn't terrible.

I played the MD game once with their first J. Herbin drop (the regular inks, not the 1670s). The delays in getting the inks to MD were outrageous, and I'm surprised that MD agreed to do business with them again.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I played the MD game once with their first J. Herbin drop (the regular inks, not the 1670s). The delays in getting the inks to MD were outrageous, and I'm surprised that MD agreed to do business with them again.

I got my J Herbin Chivor (I know its a 1670 ink) pretty soon after other folks received from other sellers. It seems like they're going fine with the Herbin drops.

I've tried Rakuten a couple times, but only with the Bunkidou seller on their for my Platinum Century 3776 (both the black and red one) then later on for some cheaper stationery I couldn't find locally. No problems with them, but not sure about any other sellers, since it's basically like an Amazon market place, multiple sellers, same site. (Massdrop is of course the same, not every person initiating the drop is the same person, but least with Rakuten, I get my order within 3-4 days).

Rakuten is much different than Amazon:

- Points "rewards" that you can use on next purchase

- individual resellers have better control of shipping costs as they give you a personalized shipping charge per order instead of flat rate

- Rakuten periodically does a store "highlight" on their home page, which is worth it to visit

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to clarify in case people get the wrong idea.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I have had anything bad happen with purchasing from Massdrop yet. The only problems that I've encountered are delays in manufacturing or shipping due to issues out of their control.

I have ordered:

Retro 51 Massdrop Limited Edition Fountain Pen

Pelikan M600

Taccia 8 pen Kimono Pen Roll

Monteverde Jewelria Carbon Fiber

Lamy Vista

2 Pilot Metros

Karas Kustoms Retrakt

BungBox Hatsukoi Sapphire and Dandyism

as well as other non fountain pen related things.

I've only experienced delays in the Retro 51 drop due to a wrong estimated ship date. The problem I have is with the USPS. They take forever in getting the items from NJ to NY for no reason at all.

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

The problem I have is with the USPS. They take forever in getting the items from NJ to NY for no reason at all.

Seems like they take forever to get the stuff from NJ to Europe as well..... :angry:

YNWA - JFT97