Sailor Jentle Epinard

yogalarva

Part of me really hates reviewing a discontinued ink, because if you fall in love with it, you can’t get it. But, I was sent this ink by a Twitter friend to add to the my next round of epic ink testing and it seemed like a shame not to write a review while it was in my pen, so please forgive me for teasing you with a no longer available ink.

fpn_1416918203__tumblr_inline_nflgb3g3og

This ink another one of those that’s kinda ugly at first, but then you fall for it because it is complex and quite beautiful once you get past the initial color shock. I thought that it was quite similar to Diamine Salamander, but when I look at that review I see that they aren’t really that close in color at all. The similarity is in the fact that they are both green-browns, which doesn’t sound appealing at all but I seem to really enjoy those colors.

fpn_1416918341__tumblr_inline_nflgg0j9qs

As you can see, this ink shades nicely. It’s a fairly unoffensive shade of green that I think could be good for everyday use. My only gripe is that it seemed to dry quite quickly on my nib, such that if I paused while writing I would have to go over my first few letters twice to really get the ink flowing again. Otherwise, no troubles with feathering or bleeding.

fpn_1416918370__tumblr_inline_nflgidvfqs

This ink was also somewhat water resistant, which was nice because I would have been very sad to lose my swamp monster doodle forever. It also played nicely on all the papers I tried, though it did smear a bit when highlighted (I make sure to wait a few minutes so that the ink is totally dry before highlighting, sometimes even a full day).

fpn_1416918409__tumblr_inline_nflglaqbtz

At the end of the day, I just can’t recommend this ink because, as I said before, it is discontinued. I managed to find it on Amazon, but otherwise had little luck and to me it seems silly to hunt down discontinued inks, even if you love them. Sure, you can build up a stockpile, but why not find a new favorite ink that’s currently in production? Anyway, after perusing the Swab Shop at Goulet Pens, I think that you could probably find a similar color in either Diamine Evergreen or Noodler’s Sequoia, both of which can be purchased without much fuss and are a good deal cheaper than trying to find the Sailor ink.

This ink was provided for the purpose of review and I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

Full page scan of the review:

fpn_1416918456__tumblr_inline_nflgvjetb9

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yogalarva

• AlejoPlay

• dan in montreal

• JowBow

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. I didn't know it had been discontinued! It was still on my wish list and now I'm almost glad I never got any. I remember finding a few bottles of Rotring Ultramarine and loving the color and properties and then discovering it was no longer in production. It's very hard to come by now.

I really like the calmness of this Épinard. Thanks for the Diamine and Noodlers suggestions. Do you find this Sailor ink is similar to Herbin Vert Empire?

Do you find this Sailor ink is similar to Herbin Vert Empire?

Thanks! I actually have not tried that ink yet but I just added it to my JetPens wishlist so I'll have to get a teeny tiny bottle when it comes back in stock. Looks quite similar at first glance. :-)

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

At the end of the day, I just can’t recommend this ink because, as I said before, it is discontinued. I managed to find it on Amazon, but otherwise had little luck and to me it seems silly to hunt down discontinued inks, even if you love them. Sure, you can build up a stockpile, but why not find a new favorite ink that’s currently in production? Anyway, after perusing the Swab Shop at Goulet Pens, I think that you could probably find a similar color in either Diamine Evergreen or Noodler’s Sequoia, both of which can be purchased without much fuss and are a good deal cheaper than trying to find the Sailor ink.

This ink was provided for the purpose of review and I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.....

Oh, gosh. If you have any interest, please DO hunt down this ink. It is a fabulous green, beautiful and well-behaved. If you can't bear using a discontinued ink, then, I guess, why love anyone at all? The nature of existence is impermanence.

The nature of existence is impermanence.

Haha, of course! Full disclosure - I did buy a bottle of OS ink after I learned they were being discontinued. :blush: But personally, I prefer to buy in production inks since it's hard to convince me that anything discontinued is that special as to afford the premium cost and effort.

I have this ink and in my experience it's richer and more saturated. It's my favorite green ink (and thankfully PR Avacado and Sailor Jentle Tokiwa-Matsu are close enough that I won't cry when I run out of the bottle I have).

Thanks for the excellent review! Sad to learn that this color is no longer made. I love your soak test! It brought a smile to my face.

If Sailor brought back some of those other inks, they can probably be convinced to bring back Epinard . . . of course, it's so close to Tokiwa-Matsu, I am not sure why they would anytime soon, but I guess they proved that they can bring back inks if they want to.

That'smy nex sailor

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

If Sailor brought back some of those other inks, they can probably be convinced to bring back Epinard . . . of course, it's so close to Tokiwa-Matsu, I am not sure why they would anytime soon, but I guess they proved that they can bring back inks if they want to.

Bring back Apricot!!!!!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia