The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

(Don't) Ignore This Post — A How-To

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:50

No, not really. But this is about how to ignore other members signatures', comments, or even messages.

It's inevitable that some members will get on other members nerves. Moderators and Admins deal with offenses with banning, suspension, or warnings, etc. Short of that, here is something you can do to restore some peace and joy to your FPN experience. Change your settings to ignore specific members.

Start at the upper right by your name:
15872591201_4f691bf80c_o.png

Click on "My Settings" and you'll get to your "Ignore Preferences." It doesn't mean, ignore my preferences, but set who I can ignore!

15688814547_14d9c9fd98_o.png

Click on "Ignore Preferences" and you can choose whom to ignore, and what to ignore. You ignore signatures or posts altogether. And you can top that off by ignoring messages.

15688814577_407179b439_b.jpg

Of course, moderators cannot ignore anyone. We're need to recognize trouble and trouble makers, of course. 

One more thing: if you're being ignored, take this in stride please. If people are not responding to your posts, let it drop. Else risk a slap on the wrist, or worse.

That is all. Carry on.

Doug

Sponsored Content

#2 countrydirt

countrydirt

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:46

But what about the righteous indignation? ;)

- Troy

#3 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,799 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:43

Depends on how righteous and how indignant.

Doug

#4 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 14:16

I am ignoring this thread.... Or am I? ;)

#5 Ceilidh

Ceilidh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 14:24

Isn't this thread about Schrodinger's cat?

#6 DJW1066

DJW1066

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:47

Isn't this thread about Schrodinger's cat?

Well, yes and no.
Posted Image

"On such a full sea are we now afloat; and we must take the current as it serves". Julius Caesar, Act 4, scene 3.

#7 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2014 - 21:29

How come there's nothing in this thread??,,

:)

#8 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2014 - 23:31

A useful and helpful post, but in the Calligraphy Discussions area? Perhaps it should be moved?

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#9 kenfraser

kenfraser

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:49

As soon as this topic appeared, I made use of it.

#10 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,444 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:25

Personally I don't think ignoring any members is either productive, necessary nor conducive to growth on this forum. Sure people have fallings out (just look at me, there's one member I cannot even speak to anymore, despite trying to smooth things over), but allowing it to fester on is, IMHO, rather immature. If I wish to 'ignore' a particular post I just skim past it. At least I don't miss anything important that way.

Edited by Cryptos, 01 January 2015 - 02:25.

#11 kenfraser

kenfraser

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 15:24

Personally I don't think ignoring any members is either productive, necessary nor conducive to growth on this forum. Sure people have fallings out (just look at me, there's one member I cannot even speak to anymore, despite trying to smooth things over), but allowing it to fester on is, IMHO, rather immature. If I wish to 'ignore' a particular post I just skim past it. At least I don't miss anything important that way.

I disagree with your opinion but, of course, you're entitled to it. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.

#12 abstract49

abstract49

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 20:33

It's tempting to put this to use, and I may in the future, but I have mixed feelings.

I can think of at least one frequent poster whose unpunctuated, disjointed ramblings are difficult to make sense of, to say the least. Sometimes it's annoying, and sometimes I move on to the next post without using any more mental energy to decipher it. On the other hand, he (I believe it's "he") sometimes makes some sense and lends some insight and/or simple fact worth considering; so, I don't know whether I really want to ignore him entirely. It's not too hard to give his post a try, make a quick decision, then act accordingly.

#13 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,444 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 22:41

I disagree with your opinion but, of course, you're entitled to it. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.

Of course. My position is based on the implicit understanding that I can only change and improve myself. Ignoring someone else does not address either of these points.

What surprises me is that anyone finds another member's posts to be such a big deal as to feel the need for an ignore button.

Edited by Cryptos, 02 January 2015 - 19:43.

#14 blINK

blINK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 22:46

What surprises me is that anyone finds another members posts to be such a big deal as to feel the need for an ignore button.

Quite a valid point. I'm fully capable of deciding which posts I desire to ignore without needing a button.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

#15 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 6,405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 22:54

There have been some members who have just been trolls. They simply wish to disagree with you. Engaging with them never gets you anywhere.

There are others who simply cannot or will not see your point of view. Again, it is not worth the effort to deal with them.

Finally, we have had one or two members who have been 'targeted' by other members with offensive or tactless comments. The members are perfectly reasonable to others, just unreasonable to their targets.

If after two or three polite replies, those types of members will not even consider one's views, then that's what the "Ignore" list is for.

We have lost too many good members because of disagreements that went on too long. Hopefully this feature will help.

Granny Aching

#16 kenfraser

kenfraser

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 23:18

Finally, we have had one or two members who have been 'targeted' by other members with offensive or tactless comments. The members are perfectly reasonable to others, just unreasonable to their targets.

If after two or three polite replies, those types of members will not even consider one's views, then that's what the "Ignore" list is for.

Exactly.

#17 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,444 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 23:23

Some people write things that may be objectionable or plain stupid - I'm sure I have been the author of more than my fair share of both - but occasionally the same person says something of real value or interest - I have yet to do either of these, alas - but if the ignore button is used you will never know.

There is a major difference between reading a post and engaging with its author. Doing the first and not the second seems like a reasonable middle way to me.

#18 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,693 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2015 - 00:40

I strongly agree with Cryptos.  I was attracted to this option when it was recently offered but after thinking about it I believe his reasons make better sense.  In much the same way I read ALL editorials printed even those from columnists that are noted for opposing views of mine.  I strongly believe in freedom of the press & have had a difficult time balancing the idea that each person MUST be entitled to his opinion when it is diametrically opposed to mine.  BUT this is the only way for a balanced society to function & this forum as well.  Everyone should feel "free" to contribute & understand that another's "mileage may differ."  Today I read with interest a link discussing the Sonnet by Parker which supported this view.  I have found that that is often the case for each pen or ink I see discussed.  Certainly we will benefit from all opinions & hopefully will be able to make our own decisions as better informed from doing same.

Secondly his point of choosing not to engage is equally valid.  If confronted by a mad dog, hissing cat or foot stomping bull most persons will choose to take another path.  I think we are probably safer for having witnessed all three situations as we know there is the possibility of them existing.  If someone wants to join the fracas then good luck to them!  I will follow my Mother's advice: "a still tongue can be a wise tongue."  

#19 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 6,405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:38

From XKCD

Note, whilst I wholeheartedly agree with XKCD on this point, I am not addressing it to anybody specifically. It is just a general comment that reflects my view on this topic.

Granny Aching

#20 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:45

I once ignored someone on fpgeeks. I ended up un-ignoring(?) him because I wouldn't be able to read his post but I could read everyone's response to his post and I would become curious as to what he wrote. Other than that one individual, it is very difficult to offend me. I work in a prison.

Sponsored Content

|