Longevity Of A Noodler's Ink Ahab?

pharmboycu

Hi everyone!

Do any of you use a Noodler's Ink Ahab as a primary writing instrument? If so, how has it held up?

I've been using an Ahab flex daily at work for a few months now. The nib has developed a nice, soft flex which I really enjoy and fortunately, I was able to adjust the feed and channels to provide the gushing flow of ink I enjoy.

That said, a couple of weeks ago when I went to refill the pen I saw the piston mechanism had popped off the threads and would not stay on, as though it were stripped somehow. I ordered a replacement pen and installed the new piston mechanism and it's working fine again.

I wonder now about the long term durability of this pen as an everyday writer seeing extensive use? Was this pen made with such use in mind or would it be better for me to find a more durable alternative?

Thanks in advance!

John

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pharmboycu

• Limner

• Tas

• fromthecrowd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For $20 bucks it's still an affordable option to replace I think. Also, it's possible to convert it to an eyedropper, which should extend it's life. I'm not sure how long the pen has even been around. Since 2011? Perhaps someone who knows could chime in here. How old are the oldest Ahabs? How have they stood up to constant use?

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I don't have an Ahab, but I have used a Konrad as a daily user for quite a while since I got it ~6 months ago and it is holding up well.

That's interesting, first I've heard of an Ahab converter coming loose. I'll keep an eye on my own pens, just in case. Turning it into an ED might be an option. I've never done it but I'm sure others on here have. That way, you'd have 2 working Ahabs.

I haven't used my Ahab much, maybe a fill or two, since I bought it a couple years ago. I was looking it over the other day and noticed that the clear plastic piston parts have yellowed very dramatically since new. It seems to still function fine, but I associate aging and becoming brittle with "yellowed" plastics. I wouldn't say that I expect this pen to still be fine in another 10-20 years, even if it just sits, but it might surprise me.

My ebonite Konrad shows no such yellowing in the piston window and I suspect it will do better in the long term.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I've had mine for over a couple of years. I use them regularly and put all kinds of weird and wonderful concoctions in them. No Ahabs or Nib Creepers have failed.

The only one that's failed in any way has been the Konrad. It sounds like it's failed like your Ahab has. The piston twist mechanism had to be superglued to the body else it would pop out with every twist. Shame but easily overcome.

Love my Noodlers.

This is a photo of the piston mechanism in question. It does appear as though it has aged and turned yellow rather quickly. I've only used Parker Quink, Waterman, and Noodler's Dark Matter black inks in this pen.

As long as I can replace the mechanism at a reasonable cost, I'll keep doing it. Bear in mind this pen gets refilled every 2 or 3 days, so maybe I'm using it more than it was designed to handle?

Anyway, great idea about super gluing the mechanism. When/if I can no longer find pens to cannibalize that will be my recourse.

post-117817-0-58292600-1416878790.jpg

Edited by pharmboycu

Tas.. I have had the same problem with my regular Konrad, It seems like the plastic threads expanded and just wouldn't hold. I saved the nib and feed but junked the rest. I should have super glued it together,

Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

Tas.. I have had the same problem with my regular Konrad, It seems like the plastic threads expanded and just wouldn't hold. I saved the nib and feed but junked the rest. I should have super glued it together,

Aww, what a shame. I almost binned mine but thought if the glue works then I'd get a good couple of years out of before the O-ring perishes.

Don't give up on them. They really are wonderfully expressive workhorses. With my experience, I'd go Nib Creeper every time.

I've read about people saying the Ahab (and other models) barrels ended up cracking for them and leaking ink after some months of very heavy use, though they were in a hot and humid climate (Florida), so maybe that has to do with it.

I've had this issue on the threads being shot after using grease which held it together for longer. The eye dropper use is a great idea and the super glue even better what a great idea. Going back to one of them now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd stay away from super glue personally. Pretty nasty stuff. I used shellac on the piston knob on my Konrad. The whole mechanism would pop out when twisted sometimes. Worked like a charm.

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

-Fred Allen 1894-1956

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving this thread for an update. I've had two more piston mechanisms exhibit this same problem when transplanted into this pen. I can't understand what is causing it. I'm not overtightening the mechanism whatsoever. This last time the mechanism popped off while filling the pen from a bottle of Dark Matter. What a mess!

I'm frustrated now and the more I think about the super glue option the less I like it as it would prevent me from taking the pen apart for cleaning whenever that time comes.

It's so frustrating to have this happen, as the nib is broken in perfectly, writes "juicy" (even more wet than "wet")-- just as I like a pen to behave, and has perfect flow. First my Mont Blanc is stolen at work and now this... grrrr!!!!

Back to the Bexley, I suppose. In the meantime, Once I get the required number of posts, maybe I can find a Mont Blanc with the same kind of flex and flow as this Ahab in the classifieds... that would solve both my issues!

Thanks for listening to me vent and for any words of advice/encouragement.

Could it be that the threads of the pen you're transplanting the piston into (I'm assuming it's the original pen) are worn? Have you tried transplanting just the feed and nib into a new pen...?

Otherwise the only solution I can think of would be to convert it to an eyedropper-filler, and toss the pistons altogether.

Edited by Linda Medley

Good idea. In truth, I'd considered that but I was a little reluctant to do anything to the nib/feed just because it is perfectly tuned for my writing style. I may just have to try it though, at the risk of it going out of adjustment.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I've had two more piston mechanisms exhibit this same problem when transplanted into this pen. I can't understand what is causing it. I'm not overtightening the mechanism whatsoever.

How about trying some plumbing teflon tape between the section threads and the piston?

I got two Ahabs now that came with yellow piston mechanisms. They are both in orange demos (Topkapi amber) so dont know if it is normal.
Doesen't look dirty or uneven, like it could be intended, by the threads where it is more concentrated it is a golden colour. The smell or odour is a little different so should probably look into it.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. About two weeks ago I obtained another new Ahab. I opened it up and the gasket between the piston mechanism and section was split. So, I transplanted the nib, feed, and gasket to the section from the new pen and used the new section and new piston mechanism. It worked well until yesterday when this one failed.

I am extremely careful with my pens, perhaps even too careful, so I cannot understand why I'm experiencing failure after failure.

I'm beginning to suspect these pens are not meant to be used as extensively as I'm using them. I end up filling it most every day, although sometimes I can go two days on a fill.

Is there another make/model of pen into which I can transplant this nib or nib/feed? The nib is broken in nicely. I just need a pen with a mechanism which will be durable enough to use extensively daily.

Another update. About two weeks ago I obtained another new Ahab. I opened it up and the gasket between the piston mechanism and section was split. So, I transplanted the nib, feed, and gasket to the section from the new pen and used the new section and new piston mechanism. It worked well until yesterday when this one failed.

I am extremely careful with my pens, perhaps even too careful, so I cannot understand why I'm experiencing failure after failure.

I'm beginning to suspect these pens are not meant to be used as extensively as I'm using them. I end up filling it most every day, although sometimes I can go two days on a fill.

Is there another make/model of pen into which I can transplant this nib or nib/feed? The nib is broken in nicely. I just need a pen with a mechanism which will be durable enough to use extensively daily.

the nib is near with in the number 6 nib so thats a start normally you would be opt for a custom pen either by edison or any of the pen turners from the forums... maybe a Jinhao?