So Tell Us About Your Neponset

gbb

Since my observation on use was serious, I shall give the serious response.

When i draw in a dark or low light situation, i usually only use my vanishing point as i dont want to loose the cap and, it is difficult to know how you are putting the nib down to draw. I will use a sign pen or roller ball too.

When i tried the Neponsit during a performance, (and a Tedx talk) the largeness of the nib and tip made it easy to put down to draw - in a dark or low light situation.

It probably isnt as good as a roller or my platinum to use to work into wash areas, it works on Moleskin watercolor paper, but i dont use that for quick drawings of performers.

Still don`t quite see how a big nib would help but if it does it for you :)

Thanks btw for giving me another reason to purchase a pilot capless!

If I wanted to do lot`s of sketching in the (semi-) dark I`d consider attaching a miniature flashlight torch to the pen - just a thought.

PS: Even though I have a small heart beating for Noodler`s pens I`ll give the Neponset a pass. Sorry.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Limner

• tinysnail

• TeaHive

• gbb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on how you look at it. I'd rather buy three Neponsets I get to either love right way or tinker with (tinkering is fun as heck) than be given a free Jinhao. It is 100% fair that many people want perfect performance out of the box, but I think the point with a lot of Noodler's pens is that you get to learn how to adjust the pen to make it your own special brand of perfect.

I would agree with you at the Ahab price point but for the cost of the Neponset I expect better quality control. I mean, for the price of 3 Neponsets you could buy a insanely awesome vintage wet noodle.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

So it seems that, like most other Noodler's pens, the quality control is abysmal.

Pity, I was looking forward to trying one of them out, but I'm not paying 80 bucks to play Russian roulette as to whether I'll get one that works or one that doesn't.

I just love how Jinhao's 2 dollar pens have better quality control and are more reliable than an 80 dollar Noodler's.

Jinhao's dont have flex. a flex nib has to be able be able to write well unflexed but then increase the ink flow 10x at the drop of a hat, no easy feat.

I got one of the prototypes from the contest, so it's probably not quite the production version.

That said, I've had a great experience with it so far. It wrote the first time I inked it up. It has written well no matter what ink I put in it.

My only concern has been that I realized that this pen does not fit well with my regular writing habits. I just don't have much use for a music nib.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

When this pen was first announced, I wanted it so badly. The mystique of the music nib was enough to create the pull in me as I love all my other so called music nibs from the Japanese pen companies as well as Franklin Christoph. I was able to get one finally from FPH after repeatedly missing announcements from the Goulets and the Andersons.

Now that I have it in my hands, I question whether the pen is all it is made up to be. I for one, really appreciate the dedication that Nathan Tardif and all his efforts to create a different business model focused on the enjoyment and useability of fountain pens rather than it's status and symbolism.

As a basic writing instrument, it's get's the job done because it wrote straight out of the box. But we did not buy this pen just so that it wrote. As a flex pen, it rather falls short. First the nib requires an amount of pressure that's tiring and just not enjoyable. Also it's simply not fine enough. I find for me, the best flex pens are the ones that starts very fine and flexes an appreciable amount. I was comparing this nib with the steel "flex" nib that came in the Visconti calligraphy set. I have to say I prefer the performance of the Visconti nib unit despite the fact the Visconti nib does not flex as wide. The reason why is that this nib starts out much finer, and the overall effect is just much nicer.

On top of all of that, the quality of the pen is not an improvement over it's other much lower priced brethren. Which goes to mean that all the money you're paying for is primarily focused on the nib and perhaps the ebonite body. I guess what I am trying to say is that at $70 this pen is now in the price category where you can buy really decent pens.

Yeah kudos to Mr Tardif for being able to introduce a product that otherwise no manufacturer would touch with a 10 feet pole. However I wonder whether he is chasing an ideal that most of us simply don't understand or appreciate.

Still don`t quite see how a big nib would help but if it does it for you :)

Thanks btw for giving me another reason to purchase a pilot capless!

If I wanted to do lot`s of sketching in the (semi-) dark I`d consider attaching a miniature flashlight torch to the pen - just a thought.

PS: Even though I have a small heart beating for Noodler`s pens I`ll give the Neponset a pass. Sorry.

Performers, actors, playwrites are not fond of audience with lights at their performance.

I have to say that some of the criticism of Noodlers pens is justified, in that they often require a bit of struggle to get to work. They can be made to work, and with the ebonite feeds, they can be customized to be used with other nibs.

It is somewhat annoying to hear people complain about the Neponset, an ebonite pen, which is lovely in the hand, (at least mine), and has a decent filling system which holds a bit of ink, and an ebonite feed and basically good nib. Because of the feed, you can certainly set up another nib which will change the whole character of the pen. Here is an example of a vintage nib that looks quite similar to the neponset steel nib, but a bit more expensive. http://www.nibs.com/vintage-warranted-fountain-pen-nibs.htm

If you look around, you will find many different pens, e.g. from Ranga on Peyton street pens, a great dealer, that are priced at about the same price for the same sized pen. Steel nibs etc. I cannot understand the complaining. When you look at pens in ebonite from places like Edison, or vintage ebonite, e.g. in Red, you will certainly be in the $100 price range, in general.

This is a very good pen. I am sure that there are problems, but then again, I bought a Pelikan m800 and the nib had to be exchanged, along with most other Pelikans I have used. And they are not as cheap, nor are they in Ebonite.

All I can say is great job Nathan

Performers, actors, playwrites are not fond of audience with lights at their performance.

I understand. Even though I wonder if it wouldn`t be possible to mute the light just enough to ,well, throw a bit of light unto your notepad.

Excuse me, I`m just guessing here as I personally don`t sketch in stage surroundings :unsure:

I definitely will--I broke down and got a plain black one (although I have a skin sensitivity to ebonite) and I love it. I lucked out and got one that works perfectly after only a quick flush; a Konrad I bought at the same time, however, still refuses to write.

I agree that it's a great pen for sketching--it makes a type of mark that I can't get from any of my other pens: a thick, 'chunky' line. I've mostly been using it for writing, though. I have small hands but I love the size and bold line.

(some comparative sketch tests)...

post-9000-0-92046400-1417829921_thumb.jpg

I definitely will--I broke down and got a plain black one (although I have a skin sensitivity to ebonite) and I love it. I lucked out and got one that works perfectly after only a quick flush; a Konrad I bought at the same time, however, still refuses to write.

I agree that it's a great pen for sketching--it makes a type of mark that I can't get from any of my other pens: a thick, 'chunky' line. I've mostly been using it for writing, though. I have small hands but I love the size and bold line.

(some comparative sketch tests)...

These are delightful!

I think I'll probably go for one of the acrylic ones. I have a Konrad in Himalayan Ruby that needs a matching friend :)

Im definitely on the fence given that you re paying a $50 premium over the Ahab for a nib which apparently doesnt yield its ink easily, so on the one hand whats the point? Otoh, I like my ahabs and would love a slightly bigger and flexier pen. Anyway.

Otium cum dignitate, negotium sine periculo.

Thank you, tinysnail! I was testing paper stock as well, hence the I.D. labels on them. The ink is Platinum Carbon Black.

I know it's a crapshoot that I'll get an acrylic Neponset that works as well as my ebonite one, but I've got my eye on a Python in Pearls; it'll go well with my Rattlesnake & Adrenalin Konrad.

Linda,

Those are great drawings! Thanks so much for sharing. I love the picture of Konrad. I think I want him. :)

Awesome drawings!!

I can't wait to get my Neponset it in for artwork. Looks like I'll be investing in some Platinum Carbon black soon. Hero Carbon seems to dry up in my Ahab too quickly.

My Neponset just came in (I'll post my doodles a bit later), and I love it! With a few exceptions, that is. Fairly minor ones, but still, it's not perfect. My feed will need to be hacked to get it flowing properly. It's a bit of a struggle to keep it primed. But wow, does it flex!

And more irksome, my converter seems to be actually glued in. For a pen I plan to use for drawing, I would like to be able to use it as an eyedropper for massive ink capacity. When I opened the barrel, I got a huge whiff of what I THINK is super glue.. It won't budge from the threads. So if anyone has any tips on vaulting that problem, please share. -_-

Other than the need to hack the feed (not really an issue, as most Noodler pens need some kind of adjustment) and the glued-in converter (the only real problem), I LOOOVE my Bengal Tiger Neponset! I thought the orange would be slightly more subdued based on the photos, but the brighter orange is growing on me. Mine doesn't have much marbling with the brown/black, so perhaps that's why it seems a tad garish. And the size feels just right. It doesn't seem all that bigger than either a Konrad or Ahab without the cap posted. But even while posted, I find it comfortable and balanced.