Onoto President Review

chandelle

First impressions

Pen manufacturers generally do a good job of having me drool over their products with great photos and Onoto did a particularly good job with what was, curiously enough, an understated picture of the President. It was distinctively staid enough for me to try and buy it, and I did. To find a dealer for that model wasn't straightforward but I found one. And then there were delays because, in Onoto's words, "We are waiting for the gold-plated cap bands. They were due in last Thursday but unfortunately Eddie Hiscox - the plater - has been off ill, and we are not sure when he will be back".

Anyway, the wait was worth it. The pen arrived in one of the better boxes I've seen and just felt great when I first held it. Everything about the pen suggested attention to detail and meticulousness to fit and finish. I proceeded to ink it up and it wrote straightaway - and hasn't stopped :)

Appearance and Finish 4.5 out of 5

The President has a stately feel to it. There are no sharp edges and its texture that can be seen in the pic is lovely. The top of the cap has a very nice insignia and is probably one of the few pens whose top I tend to gaze at a fair bit. The clip is neat and functional but a little too tight, enough for me to not rate it a 5.

http://i.imgur.com/TbPC6Ae.jpg?1

Design, Size and Weight 4.5 out of 5

Nearly perfect. Those two words would sum up my thoughts about it.

The barrel transitions to the section seamlessly and make for a pleasant experience. What I don't like is the number of turns required to unscrew the barrel; two turns too many.

http://i.imgur.com/8WnSakn.jpg

Nib and Performance 5 out of 5

The President is a wet, wet gusher and I love its 18 ct Broad nib. It's adorable. There are occasional hard starts but generally, writing with it leaves me chuffed.

http://i.imgur.com/nG9iEOL.jpg?1

Filling System 4 out of 5

I know that there are debates for and against the use of cartridge converters but in my view, a pen in this price bracket should be a piston filler. With its wetness, my converter empties quicker than most other pens that I have. That in itself isn't a problem but a piston filler would've made this pen more proper, for the want of a better term.

Value for Money 5 out of 5

This cost me $550 and I'm told that the material under the skin is silver, so I reckon that it's par for the course. I've had the clip band discolor due to tarnish - a wipe with the polishing cloth supplied along with the pen removed it instantly, btw - so this might be a pen that requires regular cosmetic maintenance.

Conclusion

Great writer, distinguished-looking pen. I wish it didn't come with a $550 price tag but it is what it is.

------------------------------------------------------

'Nothing' isn't impossible. I've done it all my life

http://fountainpenreviews.wordpress.com/

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• da vinci

• chandelle

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice pen, thanks for the review :)

I do like the brand generally, but for some reason I always hesitate before making a purchase and I haven't bought one yet. I think the Nelson looks spectacular (although the price is understandably high!).