The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Flex Nibs - More Flexible Over Time?

flex nib ahab noodlers

11 replies to this topic

#1 purlbeforeswine

purlbeforeswine

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 21:35

Do flexible pen nibs become more flexible over time? For instance, leather shoes tend to be stiff at first but will become more supple and stretch a bit with wear. Does this go for flex nibs (ie: the more you use the pen, the more flexible the nib becomes). 

Sponsored Content

#2 Kyou-chan

Kyou-chan

NEMeOw

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:03

I am certain the experts on metallic properties and engineering can weigh in better than I can on those topics.  However, I do tend to feel as though a lot of my friends who find their nibs "getting softer" over time are merely developing better musculature for the flex-writing process :)

#3 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:04

I don't think so! It's all in the mind?  ;)

https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#4 cadfael_tex

cadfael_tex

Pen Chappy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:14

I'm not sure if it totally answers the question but Richard Binder has a good article on his site - http://www.richardspens.com

#5 playtime

playtime

Flexible

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:28

may well, likely because of less careful use.

a well fitting shoe, whose leather is more form fitting and broken in (like a baseball mitt) is good. but a pen whose flex has softened further is not necessarily good. A flexible nib's ability to spring or snap back permits the dramatic swells that flex nib enthusiasts adore - and a nib that softens over time may be losing that snap....

YMMV

J

Edited by playtime, 21 November 2014 - 22:28.

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived.  I have three, but hardly ever use them.  After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

#6 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:42

Noodler's nibs seems to need a small break in period but that could be the placement of the nib and grip. But GNibs are flexible are 1st try.

#Nope

#7 Mauricio

Mauricio

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,642 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:45

Welcome to FPN.

The answer to your question is no. What some incorrectly call as a nib getting more flexible is actually called a damaged nib, either by being over sprung or getting into metal fatigue. Other than this, it is a pure personal perception issue: Someone getting used to and more comfortable using a certain flexible nib, which does not mean that nib is getting more flexible.

Tu Amigo!
Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net
Posted Image
E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

#8 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:54

Welcome to FPN.

The answer to your question is no. What some incorrectly call as a nib getting more flexible is actually called a damaged nib, either by being over sprung or getting into metal fatigue. Other than this, it is a pure personal perception issue: Someone getting used to and more comfortable using a certain flexible nib, which does not mean that nib is getting more flexible.

Another thing to add to his comment. If the place where the slit ends has some discoloration or some wavy chrome. That is when you know your over flexed it.

#Nope

#9 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,902 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 23:19

I personally think yes it does get softer. But the effect is very slight. You just get a soft nib, not a flex nib. Originally with my Ahab and Konrad, I had to apply pressure to get the fine-medium width I like. Now I have to use a very light hand to avoid spreading too much. Again, the effect is slight. Fine becomes medium. The nib doesn't become a calligraphy nib.

#10 balson

balson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 23:30

there is definitely a break in period for modern steel flexible nibs.  it seems like its anywhere from a week to a month depending on how much you use your pen and how hard you push it.  

some people are quick to dismiss the structural stability of noodlers nibs.  but even with major modifications like the prevalent "ease my flex mod" where a tremendous amount of material is removed from the nib, and the nib receives a lot of stress from heat from the Dremel, there are only two reports of sprung noodlers nibs in the FPN forums.  

#11 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 23:35

there is definitely a break in period for modern steel flexible nibs.  it seems like its anywhere from a week to a month depending on how much you use your pen and how hard you push it.  

some people are quick to dismiss the structural stability of noodlers nibs.  but even with major modifications like the prevalent "ease my flex mod" where a tremendous amount of material is removed from the nib, and the nib receives a lot of stress from heat from the Dremel, there are only two reports of sprung noodlers nibs in the FPN forums.  

I sprung my nib more trying to do that mod than anything else.

#Nope

#12 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:33

Do flexible pen nibs become more flexible over time? For instance, leather shoes tend to be stiff at first but will become more supple and stretch a bit with wear. Does this go for flex nibs (ie: the more you use the pen, the more flexible the nib becomes). 

fpn_1416615997__forging_a_new_path.jpg

Fred

Please note, Noodler's nibs are ersatz flexible {IMVHO}..please do not make any further

contact re Noodler's ersatz nibs. If we / I can assist you in some other matter in the future..

by all means call again..................{freakin' happy smiley face time}

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flex nib, ahab, noodlers

Sponsored Content

|