The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Permanent Browns With Shading?

permanent brown ink shading

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 13:39

I am looking for permanent brown inks that offer shading...and are reasonably well behaved and require only regular cleaning to avoid clogging and staining problems.

Suggestions?

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

Sponsored Content

#2 spotted and speckled

spotted and speckled

Miami, Florida

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 14:09

Waterman. Havana Brown was the best brown of all time, and of course, it is discontinued. I haven't tried the new brown but you could get a sample and check it out. Before you invest in a large brown supply, check out all the ink reviews The only inks I have ever had problems with are browns, and I practice meticulous pen hygiene.

Not sure that Waterman is technically Permanent. Maybe you could also check out an Iron Gall Brown, hard to find. Walnut inks are wonderful but I would be very hesitant in putting them in a fountain pen.   http://www.paperinka...com/walb10.html

Much Love--Virginia

#3 Amberjack

Amberjack

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 16:07

As I understand it, Havana Brown wasn't reformulated but, as with all their other inks it was just renamed.  

Goulet recently did a 'Monday Matchup' with Waterman Absolute Brown, http://blog.gouletpe...rs-ebonite.html

If someone knows otherwise about Waterman inks I'd be grateful to hear from you.

AJ

Letter Writers Alliance

#4 stonezebra

stonezebra

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:41

I enjoy using Noodlers #41 Brown which is 'bulletproof' and with a little dilution shades nicely. I also recommend trying samples.

#5 dspeers58

dspeers58

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:31

Iroshizuku Tsukushi- is a nice brown ink with some shading and seems to do pretty well when soaked in water.  it is not permanent like a iron gall, but is good

#6 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2014 - 14:04

I think that Noodler's has a few brown inks that are permanent and light enough to shade, though I have no yet tried any myself.  J. Herbin Lie the The is also a great shader, super low maintenance, and somewhat water resistant, as you can see below:

fpn_1416665052__tumblr_inline_negpv25jqq

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

#7 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2014 - 14:38

Noodler's Galileo ....  total bulletproof..   If you can get FPN to sell you a bottle.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#8 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2014 - 20:37

Thanks to all for your comments. I'll check the reviews and order a few samples.

I do have a bottle of Lie de The and have a pen loaded with it. I like it a lot, so looks like it may be a prospect for permanence.

Any other suggestions? Any Iron Gall brown inks?

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: permanent, brown ink, shading

Sponsored Content

|