Montblanc 146?

Hitkiss

Hi everybody!

I want to afford myself, for my birthday, the "long-lasting" black piston-filled fountain pen that I've always dreamed of. I like the Montblanc 146 a lot. It fits my budget and it seems to be just the right size for my hand.

But I can't find a full review on this pen, and I can't make up my mind. I've read a couple of articles on this network saying that Montblanc was a bad choice. Is it that bad?

Could someone owning a 146 tell me what he thinks of it? Had I better go for a Pelikan m800, as it seems to be the fountain pen that everybody loves? (Even though, I don't like it so much in black on the pictures I saw)

Thank you very much for your answers! I've been dreaming of getting that kind of fountain pen for so long, I really don't wan't to be disappointed.

Have a great day! This website is great!

post-4-1174242864_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sleek_lover

• Mike S.

• georges zaslavsky

• Srehman

If your heart desires it, by all means, go for it. Montblanc didn't made it's name by making bad pens for decades. The 146 is superb pen, and it will serve you well...

Nenad

life is nothing if you're not obsessed.

A lot of folks here really love their MB 146 pens. Some people just don't like MB's "luxury marketing," and think MBs are over-priced in general. I myself have an earlier MB 144, not a 146, but it writes like a dream and the F nib is really great.

Maybe you'll want to spend time reviewing the Mont Blanc forum to see what experiences owners have had w/Montblanc service (should you ever need it), compared to Pelikan customer service.

Otherwise, go for the pen you really want! After all, YOU are the one who's going to be writing with it!

smile.gif

Petra

I have a 146 -- though it is a "vintage" one from the 70s and not current production -- with a fine nib and I like it quite a bit. It is a very solid performer and a substantial-feeling pen in the hand without seeming overly heavy. It is a comfortable size as a daily user and has the classic Montblanc look.

In terms of looks and size, the 146 compares to the Sailor 1911 and the Pilot Custom 823. My MB 146 is a bit heavier than the Sailor (due to the all-brass components in the piston filling system, I suspect. I don't know if the current production models have brass in the piston mechanism or not), and a bit lighter than the Pilot.

Of the three, the Sailor holds the least ink (due to its converter filling system), the 146 holds a good deal of ink (because it's a piston filler), and the Pilot holds an unbelievable amount of ink (it's a vacuum filler and fills up nearly the whole barrel). The MB and Pilot pens give you the ability to see how much ink you have (the Pilot has a translucent barrel, and the MB has an ink view window -- slits, actually). You have to unscrew the pen and take a look at the converter to check the ink level on the Sailor.

The fine nib in my MB is about the same as the medium nibs in the other two pens. It is very smooth and has a nice bit of flex, much like the other two. The ink flow is very good, with no skipping or other performance issues to speak of. I would buy the 146 again (I paid $175 for mine at my local vintage pen shop and feel it represents a very good value for money at that price).

In my view, a lot of the negative things you read about Montblanc on this site stem from the fact that Montblanc is to the pen world what Rolex is to the fine watch world: it represents the recognized "status symbol" product among people who know little or nothing about the subject. People see a person wearing a Rolex and assume he or she has "made it." They make the same association with MB pens. One of the first lessons that you learn when you start getting into watches is that Rolex does not make the best watches (who does is a matter of opinion), but Rolex is very good at cultivating its brand caché and, as a result, is able to command premium prices for its products. Pen lovers go through the same thing. They come to the hobby thinking MB must be the best because that's what they've been told as consumers. Then they learn that, although MB makes good pens, what they're really good at is marketing their products and, especially, their brand image. MB creates buzz by making "limited editions" (even though they make 18,000 of some of them) and putting them in fancy packaging and selling them through boutiques. They clamp down on anyone who advertizes discounts on MB products. They work very hard to manage the perception of the brand in the mind of the public, and it's a strategy that seems to pay off.

In absolute terms, Rolex does make good watches, just as MB makes good pens. If you are indifferent to the statement a MB pen makes about you (both to those who know nothing about pens and to those who know a lot) or if it is one of the things that attracts you to the pen (and there's nothing wrong with that, if you ask me), and if you think the price is fair, I think you will find the 146 to be a very nice pen and one that will provide satisfying long-term service. If you want a pen that will mean nothing to people who know nothing about pens but will garner nods of knowing approval from pen lovers, get the Sailor 1911 or the Pilot Custom 823. I think they are a bit less expensive (though I haven't priced a new 146 lately) and are equally well made. In fact, I think you will find that the quality control of Pilots pens is among the best on the market, especially considering the price.

Is a 146 "better" than a Pelikan 800? Hard to say. I like cigar-shaped pens, so to me, the 146 is a better looking pen, but Pelikans have a classic look of their own and a very loyal following. They both have piston fillers and hold a lot of ink. The two practical differences between the Pelikan and the 146 are: 1) the Pelikan has user-interchangeable nibs, so you can replace the nib and feed down the road if you want to try a different nib; and 2) the Pelikan has short-turn cap threads, making it easier to get the cap off quickly (which is great for taking notes in meetings and such).

I'm afraid this may not be very helpful, but I think it's an interesting topic. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.

Mike

Hi

I own both the 146 and the m800. My 146 is a vintage one from 1965 and my m800 a 1989 one. Both have very flexible nibs, very smooth writers and both hold a good capacity of ink. I was offered my 146 but bought my 800 at mora stylos.The 800 feels somewhat larger than the 146 but the 146 is more ergonomic. What mike s said about Montblanc is true, the 146 is classic among classics, it is what a red sub 1680 is to Rolex. The 800 is another philosophy, its equivalent in watches would be the ingenieur from IWC. Wether you choose a 146 or a m800, you buy a lifetime pen from a top german pen maker with lots of experience in pen manufacture.

Good luck whatever you decide.

regards

georges

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Mar 18 2007, 07:59 PM)
The 800 is another philosophy, its equivalent in watches would be the ingenieur from IWC.

That's a great analogy, Georges.

By the way, I was going to note that the analogous product in the stereo world is Bose -- if you asked random people on the street who makes the "best" loudspeakers, I bet a lot of them would say Bose. I bet not 1 in 1000 would say Wilson or one of the other audiophile specialty firms.

I may be extremely biased, but I think Rolex and MB make better watches and pens, respectively, than Bose does speakers.

Mike

I have what looks to be a modern MB146 (fine, stiff nib) as well as a M800, both purchased off of Pentrace GB in used but very good condition.

IMHO, I think that the MB146 is slightly more ergonomic, but its cap doesn't post as securely if that makes any difference to you. Conversely, I think that the modern M800 has a brass piston mechanism whereas the newer MB146's are all plastic. I have no idea if this makes a difference in longevity, but in my pair, the M800 seems to have the more smooth/solid mechanism.

Both pens have been good users. Easy on the hand, smooth though pretty stiff nibs. My suggestion is to go to your local pen store and try them out as they are definitely different weights/shapes. If there was no significant difference to you ergonomically then I would suggest going for the Pelikan because.

A) The M800 nibs are easily interchangeable, and hence this opens up all sorts of possibilities for speciality grinds without the expense of purchasing multiple pens.

cool.gif Pelikan is carried by the great nibmeisters such as John Mottishaw and Richard Binder. As far as I know, no such expert offers new MB's online. Given the quality control problems that all pen manufacturers have, I would try to purchase any new pens only from a nibmeister. They will insure that you won't waste time sending a brand new pen back for repair !

Good Luck

Ken

Hello, I have a very limited experience, since I bought my MB 146 only 2 weeks ago. It was beautyful and well balanced. tongue.gif

My only problem was that the store where I bought it did not allow me to try it inked, so when I was at home I found the fine nib I chosen too much broad. Anyway it was saturday afternoon and the store was now closed (I bought the pen during the morning), so I called a MB boutique in my city and they offer to send the pen in Milan to exchange the nib, I went in the boutique and they allowed me to try an extra fine nib, it was perfect, and I decided for the exchange. Now I'm waiting for the return (unfortunately, it should arrive in Naples between monday and tuesday, when I will be in England wallbash.gif).

So as I suggest you to try the nib inked before to buy the pen; from this point of view maybe it could be better to go in a MB boutique. Also take into account that a normal store will probably offer you a discount with respect to the MRSP.

Genny

I have to add that I used Aurora black as ink, later on (my MB was already travelling to Milan) I discovered on this forum that MB 146 and Aurora black was not an ideal marriage to obtain a fine line. So as with respect to me you started right asking here.

Genny

Hitkiss,

The 146 was my first expensive FP and it still write really well after going twice to MB for major repair. I broke the nib long time ago and I shattered the barrel last year. I'm afraid to write with it, I have the feeling that my MB is jinx.

My second good pen was a Pelikan 200 and after more than 15 years, I must say that the Pelikan is a much better writer. I got a second 200 from Richard Binder lately and I will certainly get a 1000 one of these day.

I seriously doubt I would buy another MB. OK, I'll buy a MB after I buy at least one or two pen from these brand: Sailor, Omas, Stipula, Nakaya, Visconti, Danitrio, Bexley, Tibaldi, Platinum and the list can go on...

If you like it, just buy it! It's all a question of taste.

Samovar

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

QUOTE (Samovar @ Mar 18 2007, 10:44 PM)
OK, I'll buy a MB after I buy at least one or two pen from these brand: Sailor, Omas, Stipula, Nakaya, Visconti, Danitrio, Bexley, Tibaldi, Platinum ....

I think we might have the same list! laugh.gif

Hitkiss,

Almost everything in this hobby is subjective - some love Montblanc and some hate it. As others have said, newbies (including myself) tend to think that Montblanc pens are the best but there is no such thing as an ultimate pen. I doubt that most of the people on this board have even figured out which pen is THE perfect for their own use. In my experience, my 146 was a great pen aesthetically and functionally but for reasons that I couldn't begin to explain, I like my Pelikan 800 and 600 better. Regardless of what any of us advise, you need to buy whichever pen appeals the most to YOU.

Ben

Hi,

Couldn't agree with you more Ben, I have wide variety of FPs, but no MBs this is partly because I haven't found one at the right price.

I also have an underlying and probably irrational prejudice as they are marketed as luxury pens and on the odd occasions I get to a proper pen shop usually find somebody there buying an MB not because they know anything about pens but have been seduced by the marketing, generally the sort of person that relies on 'labels' to provide them with style. I also think that they are rather overpriced but the other people will think the same about the pens I like.

I buy pens because I like them rather than for the cachet the brand will give me, very few of the people I work with have heard of Pelikan, but most seem to know that Mont Blanc = expensive luxury pen, but I still buy Pelikans because I like them.

I think Ben and Andy are right on. I am also not into status symbols, but I am into good pens. I have been fortunate in finding a couple 146's and a 149 at what I considered good prices, so I bought them, and I have not been sorry.

I think the MB 146 and the Pel M-800 are both really good pens whose quality is equal. They are different pens. The 146 has a torpedo shape; the 800 has a flat top shape. Their ergonomics are different but both are quite good. The 146 is made of a fragile resin, but that resin has a warm, comfortable feel in my hand. The Pel's celluloid is also warm, but in a different way.

Both pens write very well. Both are dead on reliable and write smoothly and consistently. One of my 146's is an older model with a mono-tone nib that has near vintage semi-flex. Otherwise, the pens have similar writing properties - springy and comfortable.

I go with the others in suggesting that you buy the pen that you want. A 146 is a good choice that you will probably be happy with for many years.

Great dialogue on the subject -- Mike's comments and analogy is great, and is great advice. I own both brands and I love both brands. I am a little more strict though when assessing quality of a brand. I look for consistency in "out-of-the-box" (OTB) quality over numerous purchases since that, to me, is more indicative of quality control than one good, or one bad pen. I own 9 MB's (149 &146) and 11 Pelikans (400's to 1000's). I would have to say that OTB quality of Pelikans is higher (more frequent), but I would not give up my MB's.

To me fountain pens offer and artisitic and emotional reward that can't be measured in quality alone --- that is why you should get the pen YOU want

The one genuine negative to be aware of with modern MB's is their shatter-prone barrel material. You might ask Lloyd about this - after an accident with one of his beloved MBs, he decided to keep his survivors at home and get a more survivable pen for everyday use. Something to be aware of and consider in the context of how you plan to use the pen, rather than an absolute reason not to buy. Oh - pens made before 1980(?) used a different, more resilient but less shiny material.

Personally I much prefer curved pens to the Pelikan tubular model. Sailor use the same shape and have legendary nibs, but they have small CC fillers. The similarly shaped Pilot 823 otoh reportedly has an even better nib and a high tech version of the old vac fillers. The other piston filler that comes to mind (not that I'm saying you should buy one ) is the ultra tough Lamy 2000 - a very different pen to the MB, but with a great reputation.

One extra thing to be aware of is that out of the box nib smoothness is *not* the great reason for buying a pen that you might imagine - a nibmesiter can make any decent pen glassy smooth for a few dollars.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

Lent is still in effect, so I would suggest you find some of my other posts on the subject of MBs in general and then think long and hard about where you will spend your money...

Okay, God, I am keeping my promise...I have not DIRECTLY bashed an MB so far during the Lenten season. Which is pretty damn good for a New Thought/deist like moi..

Bill

I can not really add much to what has been said already, but two things do occur to me.

1. I found the mb 146 fine nibs I tried to be rather tooth. The mediums I tried felt smoother but were pretty free flowing mediums. MB blue-black ink will slow the flow down a little, but the medium nibs are still free flowing.

At least this has been my limited experience of recent mb 146's.

Is there a store nearby where you can try them?

2. Maybe availability of service is an issue for you. Some people really go psycho at even the hint of having to send a pen in for service, or their diaper gets twisted if the pen is not sent back to them within a week. Are you of that psychology? If so, what are the service options in your area and the costs?

I am in the midwest US, and Pelikan service from Chartpak has been good. I have not used MB service and there is no boutique within three or four hours from me. However, as I said, I have not used MB service.

The Pelikan and MB are both good pens, IMO. Maybe some of these other issues will help you decide. Good luck,