Music Nib -- Japanese Or Otherwise

miatagrrl

A few days ago I used someone's Sailor with a music nib, and now I'm obsessed! I was amazed by how responsive the nib was. I'd love to have one to sketch with. I know that the Sailor is sometimes not considered a true music because it doesn't have 3 tines, but I'm not that fussy -- I thought it performed beautifully. It looks like on nibs.com that it can be purchased as a standard issue on some Sailor pens (not a custom order), so that's good news. But before I rush out and get one, I thought I'd ask: Should I look into other music nib manufacturers, Japanese or otherwise? Does that third tine make a huge difference? Is there something else I should be getting obsessed about instead? (I'm only interested in contemporary pens that I can purchase easily... I'm not in it for the hunt!) Thanks --

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miatagrrl

• KBeezie

• tinta

• maverink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tina

You might want to have a look at the Platinum music nib. I bought one used from the classifieds section on this website, and I think that the Platinum nib is slightly cheaper than the Sailor if you buy it new. It writes beautifully, although I have no idea what it would be like for sketching.

Steven

Hmm, most people say that the Sailor Music nib is one of their less impressive nibs. I think most people say that the Platinum music nib is the best among the big 3 of Japan. I really enjoy the nib, but I'm not a fan of the rest of the Platinum pen. For me, one of the main draws were the 3 tines. I like how the nib looks.

yes i have the platinum music nib it is a smooth nibcompared to the other japanese music nibs

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

I had the Sailor music nib on a 1911S pen, and I discovered that it has a sweet spot -- if you hold it just right, it writes like a dream, but if you turn the pen too far to the left or the right, you lose the sweet spot, and the nib gets drier and scratchier.

I think the 3 tines on the Pilot and Platinum music nibs make the sweet spot wider and smoother.

Personally, I enjoy the Pilot music nib on the Custom 742 pen (#10 size nib), and it's also available on the Custom 74 (#5 size nib).

Scientia potentia est.

I haven't found that to be true for the Pilot music nib -- it's smooth and easy.

The only small complaint I have is that my music nib is really quite wet, and I'd like to get it adjusted a little.

Scientia potentia est.

None of the Sailor 14K MS nibs distinguished themselves in their original factory grinds... even when these nibs/pens were initially set up by Mr. Mottishaw at nibs.com (no affiliation).

I tried a number of times to use a Sailor MS nib as a daily writer, but soon realized that these nibs are more designed for music notation, than for Western cursive writing.

However, these wide, two-tined nibs provide tons of tipping material for further (italic style) customization.

My present Sailor pens have a variety modified Sailor 14K MS nibs, from a 1.1 mm. CI to a 0.6 mm. "round nosed" CI. (Two of them were modified by Mike Masuyama, the rest by ground John M.)

I do most of my writing with these excellent stubs & cursive italics.

PS: I have read some positive reports about the three-tine stainless Franlin-Christoph 1.9 mm Music nib (made by JoWo).

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

PS: I have read some positive reports about the three-tine stainless Franlin-Christoph 1.9 mm Music nib (made by JoWo).

Using one if those now.

Works decent even in the non fc feed. (little too wet with fc original feed which has those little pockets toward the front of the feed that keeps the nib wet and ready) I can show samples in either syrah (wetter) or Salix (dryer/sharper and shades well with it).

Edited by KBeezie

I have one of these F-C 1.9 mm. MS nibs, but haven't been able adjust the flow to my liking. Wet but controlled.

It lays down massive amounts of ink, even with a fairly dry Scabiosa.

I'm in the process of returning it to Jim @ F-C so that he can give it a tweak.

A sample writing with Salix would interest to me (& I'm sure also the OP).

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

I have one of these F-C 1.9 mm. MS nibs, but haven't been able adjust the flow to my liking. Wet but controlled.

It lays down massive amounts of ink, even with a fairly dry Scabiosa.

I'm in the process of returning it to Jim @ F-C so that he can give it a tweak.

A sample writing with Salix would interest to me (& I'm sure also the OP).

This is it with Salix in the feed that my Monteverde uses (can't fit the F-C feed or unit into the Monteverde, just the nib). Showing both Noodler's Liberty's Elysium, Followed by Salix, then Salix again but with the nib being a little further away from the tip of the feed.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/nibs/f-c_19music/salix.jpg

Inside of a Noodler's Ahab with the Ahab's default unmodified feed with Parker Penmanship Ruby.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/nibs/f-c_19music/ruby.jpg

Inside of the Taccia Momenta with the F-C nib unit I got with the Masuyama Needlepoint nib (which spreads out towards the front and has 4 little 'pockets' in the tip of the nib, that doesn't look like the generic feed you get with a bexley, monteverde, jinhao etc).

Essentially same thing but wetter.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/nibs/f-c_19music/salix_fc_feed.jpg

I haven't found that to be true for the Pilot music nib -- it's smooth and easy.

The only small complaint I have is that my music nib is really quite wet, and I'd like to get it adjusted a little.

I had the same issue with my Pilot. No affiliation, but I ultimately send my Pilot Custom Heritage 912 to Mike Masuyama and had the flow adjusted. He also made the tip a bit more squared-off, providing better line-width variation.

For the sake of comparison, I re-scanned the above one with Salix (very last scan) but slipped in a Goulet 1.5 for comparison sakes.

Refresh if you don't see it.

Edit#2: Also the right tine was out of alignment (slightly down), I adjusted it and checked with a 60x loupe to show they were all lined up, and wrote onto the same sample above and uploaded it's replacement. Though call me crazy, seemed nicer out of alignment lol.

Edited by KBeezie

Just looked at a Pilot 912 at Goulets that will be available in stub or music.

Has anyone used a Pilot stub? What would be the nib grade of a Pilot stub?

Hmmm . . . this is all very interesting, and now I'm wishing that I could get my hands on a Pilot and a Platinum with music nibs to try out! (The only Pilots I have are the low-end Metropolitans and Preras, which I love for everyday use. The only Platinum I have is the very low end Preppy.) I've had my eye on that Pilot Custom 912 at Goulet, too, since I saw that the music nib will be an option. Your complaints about the wet nibs are probably not an issue for me (as a sketcher) -- most pens are too dry for me, and I love it when they are a bit too wet for writing.

Keep talking (especially about music nibs). . . I'm learning a lot.

Edited by miatagrrl

Has anyone used this Platinum?

http://www.gouletpens.com/Plat-PNBM-20000-1-MU/p/Plat-PNBM-20000-1-MU

If so, any comments about its music nib? This seems like a reasonable price for a pen with a gold nib. One reviewer is complaining about the plastic-y body, but I don't have a problem with that if it has a great nib. (My favorite sketching pen the past 2 years is a Sailor with a fude nib that I paid $15 for! I hate the cheesy body, but I still use it because I love that nib so much. My plan is to upgrade to a "real" Sailor with a fude nib soon.)

Has anyone used this Platinum?

http://www.gouletpens.com/Plat-PNBM-20000-1-MU/p/Plat-PNBM-20000-1-MU

If so, any comments about its music nib? This seems like a reasonable price for a pen with a gold nib. One reviewer is complaining about the plastic-y body, but I don't have a problem with that if it has a great nib. (My favorite sketching pen the past 2 years is a Sailor with a fude nib that I paid $15 for! I hate the cheesy body, but I still use it because I love that nib so much. My plan is to upgrade to a "real" Sailor with a fude nib soon.)

The music nib on the Century 3776 is highly regarded.

Also you can get it for bout $156 + $12-15 shipping directly from Japan: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/pnbm-20000/

Or about $90 shipped if you didn't want the music nib. (I've bought two of my Century 3776's from the Bunkidou seller on there).

Also in regards to the comment "For a pen with a gold nib", I can get a Platinum PTL-5000 with a 14K nib for $50 or less, or a vintage pen with a 14K nib for low as $15-20. All three of my Pilot Elites with 18K Nibs were under $50. The Platinum PTL-10000 I got with an 18K Medium was less than $60.

PS: You can also get the Pilot 14K Music nib on a Custom 74 for about $95 shipped.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkk-12sr/

Edit: A video review of the Platinum Music Nib.

Edited by KBeezie

I have a Platinum music nib, a sailor and a noodlers.

The Platinum is lovely for drawing, it is not tempermental and keeps up with my rapid hand. It is soft so i can work back into wet washes.

The sailor is ok, rounded, but haven't used it in 18 months or so.

The noodlers i have had for two weeks. It is interesting, makes interesting marks. I have been drawing with it continually, but have not tried it under all circumstances. It skips sometimes lately when drawing from life.

The platinum is my favorite and i carry it always.