The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fsu Ink Color Help

color ink garnet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 breathelove

breathelove

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 19:13

I'm new to the forum and in need of desperate help. I'm an artist and I have sold some commissioned work for Christmas involving the Florida State University (FSU) logo and I'm having a hard time finding an ink to match it. I read in a post on here back in 2011 or 2013, I can't remember, about somebody liking Private Reserve Fiesta Red as a match to the Garnet color in their logo. Has anybody else used this ink? Or does anybody have any suggestions for an ink that would match the garnet for FSU? I will be mainly doing line work, but I'd prefer a smooth ink that doesn't have variations in color. If I can't figure out any other colors, I'm just going to order the PR Fiesta Red and hope for the best. At $10 a bottle, usually, I can't afford to buy oodles of ink to try. The amount of reds are endless so I'd go broke. ;) Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Content

#2 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 19:53

Have you looked at the swab comparisons on Goulet Pens? You can get sample vials of a bunch of different contenders rather than buying a full bottle.

#3 SinglesRazor

SinglesRazor

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 20:04

FSU student here.  I would go with Diamine Syrah or PR Black Cherry.  The FSU version of garnet was created by mixing red and purple to a certain shade, so it's not the bright standard red you would think of normally, nor is it really a true purple.  If you want a good idea to compare colors, the RGB code is R,84 - G,1 - B,21.  

#4 breathelove

breathelove

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 20:15

FSU student here.  I would go with Diamine Syrah or PR Black Cherry.  The FSU version of garnet was created by mixing red and purple to a certain shade, so it's not the bright standard red you would think of normally, nor is it really a true purple.  If you want a good idea to compare colors, the RGB code is R,84 - G,1 - B,21.  

Okay, thank you! I'll give those a try! :)

#5 breathelove

breathelove

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 20:16

Have you looked at the swab comparisons on Goulet Pens? You can get sample vials of a bunch of different contenders rather than buying a full bottle.

I didn't know I could do that. I'm new to ink and pens and such. I usually just use Microns. Thanks for the help! :)

#6 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 20:19

I didn't know I could do that. I'm new to ink and pens and such. I usually just use Microns. Thanks for the help! :)

Samples are even on sale right now, so it's a good time to try 'em! :)

#7 breathelove

breathelove

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 20:25

Samples are even on sale right now, so it's a good time to try 'em! :)

Well that just made my day ten times better! Awesome!

#8 Davros

Davros

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 20:38

The fountain ink database is awesome; it doesn't have *every* ink, but it has many inks, and they're sortable by hue.  If you hover over the hue box, it'll tell you the value.  (The RGB code posted has a hue of 346.)  http://www.fp-ink.info/en/?

There's a fair number of inks in that range, including Montblanc Burgundy, Diamine Red Dragon, and Organics Studio Mercury.  I don't see any that are an exact match, but you might be able to fake it, or do a little mixing to adjust things ever so slightly.

#9 breathelove

breathelove

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 20:56

The fountain ink database is awesome; it doesn't have *every* ink, but it has many inks, and they're sortable by hue.  If you hover over the hue box, it'll tell you the value.  (The RGB code posted has a hue of 346.)  http://www.fp-ink.info/en/?

There's a fair number of inks in that range, including Montblanc Burgundy, Diamine Red Dragon, and Organics Studio Mercury.  I don't see any that are an exact match, but you might be able to fake it, or do a little mixing to adjust things ever so slightly.

wow, thank you! I'm feeling much more hopeful now. This has been bothering me since last week because i was coming up empty. 

#10 hbdk

hbdk

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 21:04

Dear me - I thought FSU meant Former Soviet Union; I am a camera collector and FSU cameras...ohh well never mind :P

Just want to thank you for the above mentioned link - great resource!

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: color, ink, garnet

Sponsored Content

|