The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fountain Pen Alternative To Speedball C-6 Dip Pen

speedball comic fountain

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maxgarn

maxgarn

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 17:47

I used to do my comic strip hand-lettering with Micron pens. I'd like to experiment something different. I heard great comments about the Speedball C-6 dip pen but I'd prefer to use a fountain pen instead.

What would be a good fountain pen that could compare to the Speedball C-6 dip pen for comic lettering?

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Content

#2 maxgarn

maxgarn

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 18:45

Actually any recommendation for a good fountain pen that I could use for comic hand lettering would be very welcomed.

Thanks

#3 Hooker56

Hooker56

Maduro

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 19:30

Maxgarn,

For an inexpensive FP alternative to Speedball dip nibs try to source an Osmiroid or Esterbrook Fp on ebay. Then search for Osmiroid nibs on ebay. The nibs are interchangeable and fit Osmiroid or Esterbrook pens and come in a variety of calligraphy points. The pens are cheap enough that you can have several inked at a time for different lettering.
"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

#4 Hooker56

Hooker56

Maduro

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 19:36

For example:

http://m.ebay.com/it...6070?nav=SEARCH
"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

#5 maxgarn

maxgarn

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:37

Thanks! Is there a big difference between what fountain pens can do compared to dip pens?

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,118 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 14:55

If I remember my Speedball nibs correctly, a C-6 is essentially a flat stub in the smallest size.  I believe it was officially called Oblong and had a slight right foot to it since there was an LC series as well.  Comparing to a relatively stiff Speedball nib, most fine (size) nibs on a fountain pen will be about the same.

If you wanted to try a non-tipped nib similar to a C point something like a Nonsense Sheaffer comes to mind.  Easy to find and easy to clean and get going.

For a more traditional tipped nib, I like the suggestion of  starting with an Esterbrook.  A 9556 nib is always a good starting point.

Which cartoon strip and are you close to any pen clubs where you could try out a pen or two.  You can also post a writing sample which would help identifying the nib style you like that matches.

Short answer, with fountain pens anything is possible.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#7 maxgarn

maxgarn

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:49

Thank you! I'll check that out.

#8 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:21

The ad link above is quite expensive (imho) unless you are a rush. You can find other sources located here in the US for Osmiroid pens as well as their & Esterbrook nibs. Just a heads up that the Venus nibs that fit both Osmiroid and Esterbrook may be much less expensive and will serve the same purpose.

Osmiroid also has some nibs that are called "Rolatip" and come in many nib sizes/configurations. These go with the Osmiroid pens that take a cartridge/converter set up rather than  the lever-fill ones.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#9 pendexter

pendexter

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:40

You could try out the Ackerman Pump Pen. I'm actually waiting for my second one in the mail. The guy found a way to put a dip nib in a fountain pen style housing. There are plenty of options, some for dip nibs, others for wash brushes, etc. 

The customer service and reputation leaves something to be desired, but the product itself is good, especially for the price. (they run about $20-25 each, and nibs are about a buck)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speedball, comic, fountain

Sponsored Content

|