The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Solid Grey Color Esterbrook "educational Sample"?

esterbrook estie etsy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:20

I've never heard of an "Educational Sample" other than demonstrator models. Was this a salesman sample given to schools for testing and try outs? Or something else altogether?

$_57.JPG
John L

Sponsored Content

#2 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:46

I am new to Esterbrook fountain pens.   It looks like a " J ".  I photo of the fill lever might narrow the period of manufacture. 

The solid color is unusual.   I , too, would suspect a salesman's pen.   Did a salesman order the inscription, or was it a 

company issue ?   Does the "plain, homely gray" have a purpose ?  

I will be following to learn more.

Thank you for sharing this one.  I hope you have a rare find.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,209 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:42

These usually turn up in White or Aqua but I've seen most of the other colors. The printing will come off if you do any polishing.

I no longer pay a premium for them but some people might. I do think it gives the pen a bit of interest.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 17:55

As mentioned, I saw one in aqua come up this summer, and was listed as coming from the estate of an Esterbrook salesman, and described as the sales sample pen.

#5 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2014 - 15:23

I'm with Todd, these come up often enough i wouldn't pay a premium for them.  In fact, I may very well not have a single one in my collection.  Or not, not sure really.  ;-)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, estie, etsy

Sponsored Content

|