Verve

contravox

Has anyone written with the Verve fountain pen or can point me in the direction of a good review? I think the design is brilliant and would love to read what others have to say before I take the plunge. Is it reliable? Does the finish hold up? How is the ink flow? That kind of thing. Cheerio!

"I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryan

• contravox

• Mikecorless

• PenHero

Penworld magazine did a full review of this pen in Vol. 17 no. 3. If you don't subscribe to this magazine, contact me by email and I'll scan and email you the article.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Hi there brian I would love you to send me the article on the Verve if you wouldnt mind as I love cross F P

Hi there brian I would love you to send me the article on the Verve if you wouldnt mind as I love cross F P

.No problem, I'll get it scaned tonight and sent off to you.

Enjoy,

Bryan

Bryan,

Sure, that would be great. Add me to the e-mail!

Thanks!

contravox@yahoo.com

-Robert

Edited by contravox

"I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde

Article scanned and sent off. Not the best scan because the pages were a little dark. If you know how to sharpen the images, you might want to do that.

Enjoy,

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks a bunch for the article scan. It's interesting to read that Cross doesn't want to market this fine pen as a writing instrument, so much as a fashion accessory. I'm still thinking of buying one, but my idea of "fashion accessory" is carrying my 20 lb. Sheaffer Legacy around in my shirt pocket, stretching the bejeezus out of my poor pocket. I like the big pens though, and that's why the Verve appeals to me. I just hope it doesn't weigh as much as that black and gold Cold War Rocket I love and use so much. I should head down to Artlite and find out for myself if the Verve is flexy, lays down a wet line, and all-around as sexy in-hand as it is on paper.

Good Day,

Robert

Robert,

It's a beautiful, elegant pen to hold in your hand. I have written with one, very smooth, though I didn't notice much flex. I prefer a more ridged nib, and this one felt just about right. I have broken down and bought one....yet! :lol:

You have great taste!

Bryan

Would you mind telling me what you paid for it ?

Hi Mike,

If you are refering to my last post, I havn't bought one as of yet. I'd like to, but still have one other pen I "need" to buy first.

From what I see, these pens prices vary a lot based on their finsh. Approximatley, low $100s to Mid $300s.

Bryan

My favorite is the mid-line Merlot finish. It sells for the mid $200 range. The Rhodium and Chrome finishes are cheaper, while the Platinum is in the $300's. Personally, nothing says "Pen Royalty" than a purple pen with a big white-gold spear on the end of it (yeah, so I have a few issues...it's probably why I carry a Legacy I ...self-defence ya know). I just wish Cross could have made it a piston-filler. *sigh* Ooo...did anyone happen to catch the latest 150th anniversary pen to go on e-bay? It was a mint solid sterling version and it sold for $250.00!!! If you like gauty pens...or the Townsend, the it would have been a dream buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Bryan or anyone who has the image of that penworld magazine about Verve,

I am seriously considering to buy a Verve (I prefer the platinum one... )

and would really like to know whether Verve is really worth that money I would pay. It sells about $400 here in Hong Kong. So I would be glad to read that articles you guys had mentioned.

my email: ronaldphl@gmail.com

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English. Thanks alot

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Could someone explain what the 360 degree nib is?

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Dear Bryan or anyone who has the image of that penworld magazine about Verve,

I am seriously considering to buy a Verve (I prefer the platinum one... )

and would really like to know whether Verve is really worth that money I would pay. It sells about $400 here in Hong Kong. So I would be glad to read that articles you guys had mentioned.

my email: ronaldphl@gmail.com

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English. Thanks alot

Wow, sorry it took me so long to send this off to you. I can accross your post for the first time tonight.

Bryan

My favorite is the mid-line Merlot finish. It sells for the mid $200 range. The Rhodium and Chrome finishes are cheaper, while the Platinum is in the $300's. Personally, nothing says "Pen Royalty" than a purple pen with a big white-gold spear on the end of it (yeah, so I have a few issues...it's probably why I carry a Legacy I ...self-defence ya know). I just wish Cross could have made it a piston-filler. *sigh* Ooo...did anyone happen to catch the latest 150th anniversary pen to go on e-bay? It was a mint solid sterling version and it sold for $250.00!!! If you like gauty pens...or the Townsend, the it would have been a dream buy.

Actually, although the finish is the obvious reason for the price difference, the additional, and very cost contributing reason is the nib. The Platinum and Merlot pens have 18K nibs, while the Selenium Blue and Radial Chrome pens have stainless steel nibs.

Actually, although the finish is the obvious reason for the price difference, the additional, and very cost contributing reason is the nib. The Platinum and Merlot pens have 18K nibs, while the Selenium Blue and Radial Chrome pens have stainless steel nibs.

Interesting, I thought they all had gold nibs. Even at the $200 price range, cross should have at least included a 14k nib :angry:

Bryan

Interesting, I thought they all had gold nibs. Even at the $200 price range, cross should have at least included a 14k nib :angry:

Bryan

Stay tuned. Cross has plans for the model.

• 4 months later...

Interestingly, I just asked an eBay seller and was informed that they all (4 finishes) have gold nibs. He has 8,000 positive feedbacks (even though only a minority of his sales is pens) so I don't think he is misleading intentionally.

Michael