• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miatagrrl

• Erik Dalton

• Blaine

• Algester

I've been using Sailor's Miruai for about 6 months in a few pens (Sailor Pro Gear Full and Sapporo & a Lamy Safari) and haven't noticed any problems. Certainly no clogging! I haven't noticed any flow issues at all, actually, and they all start up and write perfectly from the very moment I uncap them and put them to the page. I haven't been fastidious about cleaning between fills of the same ink either.

So, as far as I can tell, this new Sailor ink behaves exactly as I've come to expect from the old Sailor's inks. I'll let you know how the other four Seasons go (waiting on a few new bottles). I'd be curious to hear of others' experiences though. Might my one bottle of Miruai be the exception to the rule?

I do remember people mentioning on the forum before, however, that Sailor inks do not play well with other brands. So if a pen were previously filled with a non-sailor ink and not thoroughly cleaned before a fill of Sailor ink, that might lead to problems. Just a guess at how the rumour got started....

I've been using Yama-Dori,Tokiwa-Massu, Miruai, Souten, and Shigure for several months now with no issues at all. You can expect the same great writing experience as the previous versions of the Jentle Ink series.

The new formulas have only been out for a few months right? It doesn't make sense in my mind for them to switch all the formulas, Sailor would be much more likely to pull all the colours and release new ones. Perhaps that is the origin of the rumour you heard. That a few months ago Sailor released a new line of inks? But the new inks are just as high quality as the old from what I can see.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

Yama-dori has been perfectly fine for me as well- no clogs whatsoever.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Great to hear that Yama-dori is back. Or was it always there?

I thought it was a special edition ink. It's one of my favorites.

Never heard such a thing, and I follow Sailor inks avidly. Unfortunately, some people do like spreading rumours about ink, especially if they're brand fanatics or have something to sell.

Hey, welcome aboard!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The first I heard was reviews on JetPens. Later I read another review (I can't recall now which site) -- perhaps by the same person. Since all of you are happy, I'm going to ignore those comments. The colors look lovely -- I can't wait! :) Thanks again.

Just went to JetPens and I saw what you're talking about. That guy gave bizarre reviews to three of the newly-released inks, claiming a formulation change and clogging, yet praising the colors. "If you let your pen sit overnight or longer, you will have a difficult time starting up again," he claims. "The longer you leave the ink in the pen, the worse it gets."

Uh...I've left my pen loaded with Miruai alone for days on end and it starts right up when I use it. It's been in the same pen for weeks now.

So he either got 3 bad bottles (unlikely), is just leaving negative reviews for the heck of it, or the inks just don't work for him (like Noodlers and PR inks don't work for me).

Weird. :huh:

Just went to JetPens and I saw what you're talking about. That guy gave bizarre reviews to three of the newly-released inks, claiming a formulation change and clogging, yet praising the colors. "If you let your pen sit overnight or longer, you will have a difficult time starting up again," he claims. "The longer you leave the ink in the pen, the worse it gets."

Uh...I've left my pen loaded with Miruai alone for days on end and it starts right up when I use it. It's been in the same pen for weeks now.

So he either got 3 bad bottles (unlikely), is just leaving negative reviews for the heck of it, or the inks just don't work for him (like Noodlers and PR inks don't work for me).

Weird. :huh:

The guy may also have hard starters or poor pen maintenance.

Sailor inks never give me issues though. I have several pens I leave inked with the Blue and Blue/Black for a while and never ever have I had a problem.

I remember reading somewhere that sailor inks are basic. While most other brands are acid. So in an u nucleated pen, mixing an acid and a base, will form a precipitate