Best Inexpensive Chinese Pens

Mister John

Here is my last chinese pen. Bought for 2 $, I've gave him a new flexiblr gold nib and it writes .... perfectly !!!!!

The question is ..... and now, which one will be my next one ?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/267952-which-one-will-be-your-next-fountain-pen/

fpn_1425424542___thi4234light.jpg

What is the brand / name of that yellow beautiful pen? I couldn't find it. Thanks!

Brandon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thier.

• Ian the Jock

• richardandtracy

• mknoblauch

Another great and cheap chinese Jinhao pen with carved shells ..... I've just changed the nib .....

fpn_1428053441___thi4445.jpg

Lovely pen, do you have a model number for it?? I'd love to find one to add to my own collection.

For the record, I bet Montblanc has sold many of the Year of the Golden Dragon pens in China. At the asking price, it requires a wealthy buyer, and it carries a prestigious name. There are many Chinese who are wealthy, and enjoy and appreciate luxury goods, including fountain pens.

Lovely pen, do you have a model number for it?? I'd love to find one to add to my own collection.

Just have a look on Jinhao carved shells on Google

What is the brand / name of that yellow beautiful pen? I couldn't find it. Thanks!

Brandon

Brandon; I cannot see any brand on it ..... Sorry I bought it from Ebay ....

I bought a Baoer 801 in stainless steel for $1.70USD with free shipping. The pen is slim, attractive, and somewhat retro. Very simple, but a well designed pen, with a hooded nib. It is a very smooth writing pen, on a par with some that I pair $50-100 for, which makes it an incredible bargain.

I also believe Hero makes some very expensive pens. Hero is very large, of course, and I don't think the expensive ones are readily available in the US. I have had luck with several of their models, all of which have been mentioned here, all of which were under $25USD.

Another vote for Hero 616. Puts tons of western pens to shame. Tipped steel hooded nib, built in filler, well built collector, good japanese fine line, hard as a nail so your coworker can use it. They dont dry out either. Nib is the same size as a crows quill, so you can swap them out for them, and the feed works. All this for less then five bones. If you threw a western name on it, it would be a $40 pen easy. I buy them by the dozen to give to people who want to try a fountain pen.

Another one is the Jinhao 599, which is a pretty good "clone" (copy) of the Lamy Safari, but for 1/10 the cost, while still providing a nice writing experience. They make a hooded version with a extra fine nib that I have yet to try, but looks good.

My Jinhao x450, while having a good nib, tends to dry out, and is so heavy that if it was my daily use pen I would no longer need tools to open walnuts or remove the lugnuts from my car, as my hands would be super human.

Another vote for Hero 616. Puts tons of western pens to shame. Tipped steel hooded nib, built in filler, well built collector, good japanese fine line, hard as a nail so your coworker can use it. They dont dry out either. Nib is the same size as a crows quill, so you can swap them out for them, and the feed works. All this for less then five bones. If you threw a western name on it, it would be a $40 pen easy. I buy them by the dozen to give to people who want to try a fountain pen.

What about ink? I'm giving away Prepppies and give my friends a couple of extra cartridges.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

What about ink? I'm giving away Prepppies and give my friends a couple of extra cartridges.

Hero blue black is a really good ink but only comes in bottles but that is mitigated by the fact that it is very cheap, jinhao cartridges will also do the job.

Another one is the Jinhao 599, which is a pretty good "clone" (copy) of the Lamy Safari, but for 1/10 the cost, while still providing a nice writing experience. They make a hooded version with a extra fine nib that I have yet to try, but looks good.

My Jinhao x450, while having a good nib, tends to dry out, and is so heavy that if it was my daily use pen I would no longer need tools to open walnuts or remove the lugnuts from my car, as my hands would be super human.

Fellow 616 fan. Yay.

I have a couple of the hooded Jinhao 599 and actually prefer them to the open-nib variety.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Fellow 616 fan. Yay.

I have a couple of the hooded Jinhao 599 and actually prefer them to the open-nib variety.

I agree...I have many of the hooded Jinhao 599s. They are one of my everyday "work horse" pens. They write wonderfully for a $2 pen...and I really like the fine line they put down.

Fellow 616 fan. Yay.

:D I had originally bought the 599 simply because they offered a hooded option. Other than one that would always leak from the section, they've all been good writers. :)

So my 'Mont' pens arrived via aliexpress. Both are demonstrators but cc fillers. Both have a cap band printed 'Montblanc', but both cap bands are mounted on the cap crooked! One is gold with pierced metal in the form of a spider and a spider web. This one has a smooth nib, decent enough finish to it, fills no problem, writes well but very wet and has a little black jewel in the clip terminus and a fake Montblanc splat with an extra splat bit. It's a nice enough pen, a little on the heavy side, posts fairly securely and takes about thirty turns to uncap.

The other one was not so good. Smooth nib, but the ink literally ran out of it and within an hour of first inking the feed broke off and the nib with it. So now the search begins for a section and nib unit that will fit it, because the body of the pen is a really nice design. It's a little like the ripple demonstrators by Delta and Visconti. It is also a cc filler and is in silver. I could return it, but the cost of return would actually exceed what I paid for the pen! It also has a fake Montblanc splat.

Overall, if you want to take the risk and buy one then go for it, but be aware that you could easily get a complete dud. I know a few others who have also bought more then one and have received complete duds, unusable or broken pens among them. Shame really, because if they made these pens to a decent level of quality and without the silly fake Montblanc splat they would be onto a winner in my book.

Brandon

I believe Its an "unbranded" Huahong.

I've only found them available through Xiongfu1990 on ebay China.

I don' have a link for the yellow version, but here's the link to the red one I have from the same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Authentic-Senior-Collection-Acrylic-fountain-pens-Iridium-Point-pen-X-22-/351492138616

They have a fine nib and are very nice indeed.

Ian

I've really grown to like my Jinhao 9009. One of the wettest and smoothest pens I own. My Baoer 79 comes in as a close second. And my 3rd pen being the classic 159, which for some reason has a pretty springy nib and I like that

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

I really would like to try if a big pen suits me.

Is there a substantial but light pen I could get for up to $10 including postage. I hope for something that is similar in size (barrel diameter and length) to Pelikan M800 or MB 146, and light enough to be something more than a signature pen.

I would prefer it to be a 1.1mm or thinner stub, but "M" or "F" round tip would be acceptable.

I think you'll struggle to find anything other than a f or m nib, even Chinese b is more like a broad western medium.

Big but light isn't a combination that is found very often, however, the Wing sung 590 fits the bill.

It is biiiig, holds a gallon of ink and is very reliable, as well as being light.

Mine even has a bit of flex to the nib.

Its not everyone's cuppa though.

There are better pens out there, and depending on what you determine as "light" you could go for a Jinhao x500 which at 35g is comparable with the pelikan size wise.

Ian

Ksm, your specs cry out Indian ebonite...But these are sadly off the budget that you've indicated. Go up to around $25-30 and your get a pen matching you requirements of size and weight.

Big Chinese pens are metal based and these trends to be heavy. The jinhao 159 has a plastic barrel, so the weight is a bit lower comparatively...

A lifelong FP user...

I was surprised that there are no votes for Duke. I bought a Jinhao, a Crocodile, and a Duke. The Duke was the best of the three, so I've since bought several more. The D2 is the best writing of my Dukes, in fact it's in my top few pens, regardless of nationality. Duke claims a German connection. I also like their blue ink.

If you want to try an unusual, and good writing pen, try the Charlie Chaplain. It fat and heavy, but very nice.

Alan

PS I'm quite happy to write with the heavy all-metal, Chinese pens. But I prefer a lighter pen for carry.

Edited by Precise