The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diamine Midnight Vs J. Herbin Bleu Nuit

diamine j herbin midnight bleu nuit comparison

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Dark blue ink (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Which dark blue ink?

1. Diamine Midnight (14 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

2. J. Herbin Bleu Nuit (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:40

Long story short: I'm looking for a reliable dark blue ink...I'm not a big fan of the blues, and I easily discarded Pelikan Blue-Black, Waterman Blue-Black, Waterman Florida Blue, Pelikan Royal Blue, Pelikan Edelstein Topaz, R&K Salix and Noodler's BBK...

Still, I'm pretty stubborn, so I want to give blues yet another chance; that's why I want to try one of these two, but can't decide which one.. they both have similar hues, albeit Midnight is somewhat more saturated. So which do you think should win a spot in my ink repertoire, based mostly on behavior? (I like the color of both, at least on the computer screen...). Thank you!

Edited by Murky, 18 November 2014 - 11:44.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Sponsored Content

#2 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 17:02

"... easily discarded Pelikan Blue-Black"???? :o

#3 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 18:17

"... easily discarded Pelikan Blue-Black"???? :o

Well...not actually thrown away...just put aside...indefinitely...it's just too grey for my taste.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

#4 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 20:15

Have you considered Lamy Blue-Black?

#5 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 20:28

Well...not really, after trying R&K Salix, I don't want any more blue-back IG inks (I love Scabiosa though :D)

So again, I'm just looking for a comparison of those 2, J Herbin Bleu Nuit and Diamine Midnight; they are the only ones that interest me right now, and I want to choose one of them!

Edited by Murky, 18 November 2014 - 22:12.

#6 martinbir

martinbir

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:47

Bleu Nuit is a blue black style ink and you have already decided against several of those.

Perhaps Midnight will suit you better. It is a rich, deep blue with little shading - I think of it as my accountant's ink, very smart and very safe; rather like a pin-stripe suit.

#7 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:53

Hmm..I've decided against Pel BlBK, Waterman BlBk and R&K Salix because they change color way too much (to grey or teal). I've read somewhere (a post by The Good Captain I believe) that dry J Herbin Bleu Nuit looks like wet Pel BlBk (which I really like...too bad it fades to grey). And I do love shading...a lot! :D

Edited by Murky, 19 November 2014 - 12:14.

#8 ttakacs

ttakacs

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 17:27

JH Bleu Nuit shades and is wetter than Diamine Midnight Blue, which is one of the driest inks I know.

#9 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• 2,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 23:00

DMidnight also has that beautiful red sheen, that comes out on the edges with a wide nib. It might be my choice if I was limited to one ink.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#10 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:42

I've seen so many opinions in favor of Diamine Midnight, that I've decided to go for Bleu Nuit (crazy right!? :vbg:)...the thing is, I've noticed my taste in blue inks differs somewhat fundamentally from other peoples'...whereas most people love Pelikan BlBk, R&K Salix, Pelikan Topaz, the Waterman blues etc., I just can't 'bind' with them...maybe J Herbin will be my salvation (I love their Lie de Thé). I'll let you know how I like it when it arrives.

As a side note, don't you (Europeans) find it frustrating that a French ink manufacturer only exports 100mL bottles to another continent (the US), and not inside Europe as well? :wacko:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine, j herbin, midnight, bleu nuit, comparison

Sponsored Content

|