The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

I Don't Know Where To Ask This, But I Need Sheaffer Snorkel Parts

repair snorkel

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pingo5

pingo5

The one and only

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 00:06

Well i went and screwed up >.<
my ink sac broke(no idea how, it was fairly new i'm pretty sure) and i didn't get around to it, so somewhere along the line i managed to break the gold filler tube(the pen was a gold and black sheaffer snorkel... gold filler tube. i'm not sure what exact model it is, can't remember.
i don't know where to get replacement parts however... they sell sacs on ebay, but at this point i'm looking for a new spring, sac protector, sac, sac plug, and (gold) tube :S
i'm lost as of where to ask. this pen is setimental, and i want to get it back into working condition. i believe all the other parts of the pen are in good working order...even though i kind of listed everything in it.

one potato two potato three potato four

Sponsored Content

#2 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 00:16

Well i went and screwed up >.<
my ink sac broke(no idea how, it was fairly new i'm pretty sure) and i didn't get around to it, so somewhere along the line i managed to break the gold filler tube(the pen was a gold and black sheaffer snorkel... gold filler tube. i'm not sure what exact model it is, can't remember.
i don't know where to get replacement parts however... they sell sacs on ebay, but at this point i'm looking for a new spring, sac protector, sac, sac plug, and (gold) tube :S
i'm lost as of where to ask. this pen is setimental, and i want to get it back into working condition. i believe all the other parts of the pen are in good working order...even though i kind of listed everything in it.

Can you clarify? What didn't you get around to?

How did the Snorkel tube, spring, sac protector, and plug all get damaged?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#3 pingo5

pingo5

The one and only

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 00:17

Alright i went back and dug a little more;
it's a Sheaffer Statesman Snorkel, white dot, no gold on triumph nib, had a gold filler tube.black plastic and gold(plated?)clip and stuff..

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 00:35

If you were one of my board operators who called with equipment down, I'd be saying "take ten slow, deep breaths and calm down."  It rather sounds like you broke your pen and are on a panic. 

Daniel's question is valid - how  did you break the pen.   Why do you need the spring and all of the other parts in addition to the snorkel tube?  Would you like to send some pictures?   It may not be as bad as you think, it might be worse.  If you broke it fiddling around with it, do you have a reasonable expectation that you could fix it yourself, or perhaps would you be better letting someone with more experience fix it for you?  Trying to fix it yourself might compound the problem.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 pingo5

pingo5

The one and only

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 00:38

Can you clarify? What didn't you get around to?

How did the Snorkel tube, spring, sac protector, and plug all get damaged?

--Daniel

I was being stupid, didn't have the disassembled pen in a bag, probably fell on the floor, found the tube basically in half. spring was rusting, and the ink sac was basically gooed to the inside of the sac protector; if there's someway to get it off i can spare that, and if there's some way to save the plug (the tube was having troubles staying in the plug) i can save that too and just would need a tube, spring, and sac. the sac burst a while ago i suppose(based from it being gooed to the sac protector and hard to get out) if i can still use the partially rusting spring. the tube can't be replaced however. i need a new tube and sac for sure.
it happened a while ago, and i decided it was time to get around to fixing it. it's not like it has nib problems; so it shouldn't be a difficult difficult fix.

Edited by pingo5, 18 November 2014 - 00:41.

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 9,947 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 00:44

We all clean the goo out of the old sac guard, there isn't a magical hidden source of new ones.  You can try a number of things but it is never fun. 

Try a wire brush and some WD-40 on the spring.  To clean the inside of the spring use a bore brush.  You can remove the oil residue with iso-propanol.

Buy plug, I'm guessing you mean the point seal.  You should just replace the seals.

FB

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#7 pingo5

pingo5

The one and only

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 00:50

We all clean the goo out of the old sac guard, there isn't a magical hidden source of new ones.  You can try a number of things but it is never fun. 

Try a wire brush and some WD-40 on the spring.  To clean the inside of the spring use a bore brush.  You can remove the oil residue with iso-propanol.

Buy plug, I'm guessing you mean the point seal.  You should just replace the seals.

FB

i'm pretty sure the point seal goes into the nib section; i'm going to pull another problem out and say i can't find the plug that the sac attaches to and goes into the sac protector.
thanks for the advice on cleaning those though! that crossed a few things off the list of what i need.

but as you said, probably best to get new seals also.

yet another edit; No oring at top. not sure if there's supposed to be one there.

Edited by pingo5, 18 November 2014 - 01:04.

#8 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:24

You say this pen has sentimental value, it really is a case  of sending it out to a repairman to complete for you.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#9 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,421 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 13:49

What worries me is that you want to repair this pen yourself, but have a lot of "I think" statements in your posts.  Don't even try repairing the pen until you  know  what is what, and how it should be fixed.  There are lots of resources with correct information on line.  

Better yet, don't do it yourself.  It doesn't matter to me who you send the pen to but please, rather than risk screwing up a pen let alone one with sentimental value, send it to a qualified pen mechanic.  There are lots of people who can do a good job restoring the pen. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

#10 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 15:33

What Ron said.  Snorkels are not exceptionally difficult to restore, except (and it's a big EXCEPT) there are a lot of ways to screw up the job.  A pen with sentimental value deserves to be restored by someone who knows exactly how to do it and has restored a bunch of them.  Send it out, you'll be glad you did.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#11 kilk

kilk

Kilk

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 19:28

I also need section unit of a Snorkel Fountain Pen..

It was broken around 25 years ago :) I tried to mantle it with epoxy, but failed..

The material is so weak to glue the broken parts.. 

If I can not find an original one, I ll try to make it on lathe.. The only matter is to open four channels (in top hole) for sac protection unit.. I hope I can find...

logo100x50.png

Exclusive Writing Instruments

http://www.kilk.istinstagram@kilk_kalem

Istanbul/Turkey

#12 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,421 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 20:43

Epoxy wouldn't be the material to use to repair a snorkel section.    There isn't enough contact area for epoxy to hold.  The best thing to do is to solvent weld using a solvent containing methylene chloride.

For those who need replacement parts, basic snorkels are still fairly inexpensive.  Sections can be used for both open nib and Triumph nib pens, so donors aren't hard to come by.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens

#13 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 20:57

I will attest to the good sense of sending it out.  I tried restoring a Snorkel, and I ended up with a parts pen.  I gave it away.  I am AOK with that.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#14 pingo5

pingo5

The one and only

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:04

Epoxy wouldn't be the material to use to repair a snorkel section.    There isn't enough contact area for epoxy to hold.  The best thing to do is to solvent weld using a solvent containing methylene chloride.

For those who need replacement parts, basic snorkels are still fairly inexpensive.  Sections can be used for both open nib and Triumph nib pens, so donors aren't hard to come by.

true.
now the problem is costs. i don't believe that i would be able to afford a repairman :P i got a job now, but only being able to work weekends i don't get that much money.
i'm sure at this point it won't be cheap anyways.

#15 TimGirdler

TimGirdler

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 18:22

Pingo5:

I live in Martinsburg, WV.  I can help.  Email me at: tim@timgirdlerpens.com and put the phrase "FPN Snorkel" in the subject line.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, snorkel

Sponsored Content

|