Lilybelle

Hello everyone! I'm Cindy.

I discovered this wonderful site a few months ago and felt I needed to join if only to say "thank you"!

I have only been using fountain pens for the past few months and still have much to learn! So far, I've made some truly cringeworthy mistakes- but after reading many comments on these forums- I feel you are a good-humored and accepting group of people (who won't throw verbal stones at me for a newbie mistake.) :)

A little about me- I am an academic librarian, mom, and wife- and a total tech geek (mostly Mac.) I enjoy writing as a way to unhook from technology and always feel much more productive when I actually hand-write out my thoughts/ideas.

I also have a love of all things office supply- mostly Levenger- and this led me to order my first Fountain Pen- the "True Writer Purple Majesty" with an extra-fine nib. I fell instantly in love with it and use it daily. A friend convinced me I would not truly experience what all the fuss was about until I tried one of the really expensive pens.... so after doing some research (nothing but Cross in stores near me!) I ordered a much-too-expensive "Pelican Souveran M600" in blue.

And here's where the "red-face" comes in.....Until it arrived, I had "assumed" it would use cartridges and somehow missed the fact that this is not the case. Couldn't understand how to remove the cartridge converter! Alas- I had never heard of and had no IDEA what a "piston-filler" was! Now I do......

It is no fun to order a fancy new pen with a piston-type fill mechanism and then realize you only have ink cartridges in the house. I knew enough not to use India Ink but there are no local stores to purchase good bottled ink. I realized I needed to back-up and learn much MUCH more before throwing more money at fancy pens! Or I should say "less" money. I now own a Pilot Prera demonstrator (jury is still out on this one) and a pack of multi-colored Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens- that I LOVE!!! But the Levenger True Writer is still #1 in my heart.

The Pelikan has since been filled with "Tender Purple" Waterman ink...but I cannot say it makes me happier than any of the other pens to justify the cost. Now deciding whether to return to Amazon or keep in a drawer until I am worthy (or even "need") an expensive pen!

Joining here in an attempt to save myself- and my poor bank account- from myself!

So hi!! :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilybelle

• RMN

• estie1948

• notVirtuThe3rd

Welcome to FPN! Definitely keep the Pelikan! It's without a doubt my favourite brand of fountain pens! :D

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Welcome to the FPNuthouse! Oops, did I really say that in public?

Meanwhile continue to enjoy yourself and be prepared to learn a lot, have many new friends (who will understand you) contribute as you can, when you can and what you can.

Used to live in Tacoma back in the '70s. Many a dinner at the "Ram"(?)

Even knew a librarian who worked there too.

Again, welcome and enjoy....

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!

Warning: FPN will not in any way shape or form curb your pen mania or spending. We are the biggest bunch on enablers you will ever meet!

PS: Love Pelikans! 400, 600, 800 etc, I think I am up to around 15 of them now!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome from another 'relative' newbie member! You will enjoy & learn much from this wonderful group of FP aficionados! Glad to have you on board :)

Edited by Helen350

Welcome !

Yes, the M600 is expensive. Do you like the pen ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello and welcome, Cindy. I'm glad you joined us. Don't be embarrassed about that little mix up with the Pelikan. Many of us have done worse than that even though we might not admit it. It is part of the learning process. For instance, I have a Traveler Fountain pen that I picked up in the late 1950s that has a clear body and I thought - long (and very unflattering to me) story, never mind. Please don't hesitate to share your questions and opinions. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hello Cindy and greetings from a native of Tacoma now living in northern California. A warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us. :thumbup:

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hi Cindy and welcome to FPN

Yes, that's a problem, cartridges with a piston filler. You can try to cut several carts open, but that will most likely go messy...

The other way round is better, you can refill empty carts from a bottle...

Enjoy your pens, and our forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 1 year later...

Hi Cindy,

I'm new to FP's, as you were when you wrote your intro. Living in Olympia, WA, I have no stationary stores to explore here where I can try pens. Do you have any suggestions for location(s) in Tacoma that offer quality fountain pens?

Thanks, Ken

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hi Cindy,

I'm new to FP's, as you were when you wrote your intro. Living in Olympia, WA, I have no stationary stores to explore here where I can try pens. Do you have any suggestions for location(s) in Tacoma that offer quality fountain pens?

Thanks, Ken

Hi Ken, and welcome to FPN

You're not likely to get an answer from Cindy, as she has not logged in to FPN since November 2014. ( you can see that when you hover your mouse pointer over the member name just above the avatar)

I would suggest posting your own welcome topic here on the forum, possibly you'll get more answers.

And there are always the well known online shops, like Goulets.

Good luck, and enjoy our forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I used to live in Tacoma. Have several True Writers all great writers. They write so well that sometimes I want to weep at the poor performance of "better" pens. Welcome to our nut house!

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"