The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Parallel Pens: Uses, Hacks, Etc

pilot parallel calligraphy pen pen hacks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:50

Hi all, I know in the calligraphy or art world, there are people who rave about the Pilot Parallel. I have one in the 1.5mm size and think it's a little scratchy, and wonder if it's because I'm lefthanded. Will it be fine to micromesh the "nib" I wonder?

Would like to hear how you use the pen, your experiences or impressions, and how you've hacked it (if you have!). I've seen nibs that are cut or replaced with tin. If you've transplanted the nib and section to another pen, share that too!

Hope this is an okay place to start the thread as I don't think people who use the pen will check out the Pilot subforum. :P

Sponsored Content

#2 bitterwonder

bitterwonder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:30

I draw with them. They are a challenge, how to make a mark meaningful.
I made some interesting drawings at .performances.

#3 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 16:59

I find the 6 mm plate to be smooth at a certain angle and the 2.3 mm to be somewhat smooth again on a certain angle
I find that as a fellow lefty that side writing will give you a more rougher experience than it is when used as an under writer or as an over writer and im not sure how well would the plates would hold against a micromesh havent tried it because i find the plates just fine for me

#4 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 17:24

I have the orange 2.4mm Parallel. It is slightly scratchy, but it's a crisp italic so i is somewhat expected. I do not feel so inclined to make it smoother, but I'd think a bit of smoothing would be just fine. Do you find it scratchy when making straight lines or only when the corners move across the paper as in making looped letters?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot parallel, calligraphy pen, pen hacks

Sponsored Content

|