Smoothest Lightweight Pen

Fwdlib

I'd add a vote for an M-nibbed Parker 51.

My smoothest lightweight pen is an Onoto Magna, unposted, but it's a bit fatter than a Pel 200.

Finding an M-nibbed P 51 should be an interesting challenge on its own merit. I can't remember ever seeing one!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• ibrahim

• Fwdlib

• ac12

Finding an M-nibbed P 51 should be an interesting challenge on its own merit. I can't remember ever seeing one!

I have one, an Aero ..it is smooth as silk, but a little on the 'wet' side.:)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Many of the vintage pens mentioned above can easily meet your needs. The Esterbrook J and Parker "51" are always highly recommended. The Parker 45 and the Sheaffer Snorkel also come to mind as very light pens that are true pleasures to hold and use.

But my smoothest nib is a Nakaya, and one of my lightest pens is matched to that nib. The feel, the touch, and the writing of a Nakaya meets your requirements. You didn't mention your budget, but these hand-crafted, Japanese pens are worth a look.

Buzz

• 11 months later...

For a lightweight, smooth writing fountain pen try an Esterbrook J with a series 9xxx nib. My favorites are the Esterbrook Js with 9550 (extra fine) nib. I have, quite literally, written all day with one without any strain except that on my feeble mind. An Esterbrook J was designed for this very purpose and has performed efficiently for decades. An Esterbrook J, fully restored, can be had for less than $60.

Try one, you'll like it.

-David.

Where can I buy one, David? I want to buy one exactly like yours.

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

Thank you so much.

Edited by ibrahim

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

I have ONE. But only one, and I have many 51s, all the rest are Fine nibs. So yes, the Medium nibs are indeed difficult to find.

However, you can purchase them. But now that I'm looking, I can't find the sites that sell the 51 nibs.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

S, Fwdlib, have you found the exact pen that is as gliding and smooth as Pilot Vanishing Point and yet it is pleasantly lightweight? I am curious to see what you have found so I can get inspired too. I really wanted to buy a Pilot Vanishing Point but I was concerned about its weight, especially I write a lot and I work with words.

I absolutely love my new VP--except for the weight. I happened into a store the other day that sold Custom 74 demonstrators and bought one. It is an absolutely lovely smooth fine nib and light pen. Smoother than my Pelikan 600, and that's saying a lot, but also softer.

I absolutely love my new VP--except for the weight. I happened into a store the other day that sold Custom 74 demonstrators and bought one. It is an absolutely lovely smooth fine nib and light pen. Smoother than my Pelikan 600, and that's saying a lot, but also softer.

I am so glad you found the answer that combines the two, Kate: smoothness and light weight. I checked the price for Pilot Custom 74 and was surprised to see how expensive it was. They sell it for $160.00. Is that how much it is worth? Or were you able to buy it as a cheaper price? Where did you buy it from?

Adding back on this since nearly a year later, I find that I'm still leaning towards the same kind of pen, this time around a Pelikan 1956 400NN, smoother with it's 14K semi-flex EF, tad lighter than the M250 I had, but holds more ink (nearly 2ml vs 1.2ml).

Otherwise the runner up being a slightly smaller Pelikan 140 (also from the 50s), the 14K Broad cursive italic I have on it is also very smooth (though that one was ground to a cursive italic by Vasco of penalusa where I got it from).

Also having a decent Esterbrook J in my hand again, I can say that's definitely on the lightweight, but I haven't come across a nib yet that was smoother/nicer than the ones I mentioned above, but I have a personal preference towards nibs that are a little on the springy/semi-flex side, so the firmness of most of the renew point nibs are not really in my personal preference, though my Aurora Afrika LE with a very firm 18K "M" nib covers lightweight very well, but it also has a sort of hard pencil feedback that just seems to work. So it seems to be a very tricky combination of all of the above that gets my attention, and it's not necessarily just smoothness that does it for me. That and I haven't been actively seeking out the 9xxx series for the Estie (not in the budget currently).

I am so glad you found the answer that combines the two, Kate: smoothness and light weight. I checked the price for Pilot Custom 74 and was surprised to see how expensive it was. They sell it for $160.00. Is that how much it is worth? Or were you able to buy it as a cheaper price? Where did you buy it from?

The Pilot custom 74 is easily obtained from Japan around $60 to $70, plus about $12-15 shipping. If I were to pick one up I'd get it from Bunkidou on Rakuten (mainly because I've purchased about 4 Pilots and Platinums from them in the past without issues).

The Black One when they have it in stock offers the most nib options.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?k=custom+74&sid=bunkidou-shop&l-id=gs_product_search

Engeika either thru their website or ebay store is also another one that offers similar prices out of Japan. You'll find a number of Pilot and Platinum pens (usually not including the music nib though) tend to be significantly cheaper than the export price.

Edited by KBeezie

Engeika will also try to give you the model with the nib you're looking for if you contact them beforehand and are prepared to wait. I once ordered a Custom Heritage 91 in Tsuki-yo with an EF nib from them. As that color does not normally come with an EF nib, they asked me to wait a couple weeks for them to get an exchange with Pilot.

So if you can't find the nib/color/model combo that you're looking for, try asking if they can do it.

round-letter-exc.png

The Pilot custom 74 is easily obtained from Japan around $60 to $70, plus about $12-15 shipping. If I were to pick one up I'd get it from Bunkidou on Rakuten (mainly because I've purchased about 4 Pilots and Platinums from them in the past without issues).

The Black One when they have it in stock offers the most nib options.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?k=custom+74&sid=bunkidou-shop&l-id=gs_product_search

Engeika either thru their website or ebay store is also another one that offers similar prices out of Japan. You'll find a number of Pilot and Platinum pens (usually not including the music nib though) tend to be significantly cheaper than the export price.

You are really amazing!! How did you find this information? I am going to take everything you wrote above and save it as is in a file for later reference when I am ready to buy a pen. Thanks from the bottom of my heart, KBeezie.

You are really amazing!! How did you find this information? I am going to take everything you wrote above and save it as is in a file for later reference when I am ready to buy a pen. Thanks from the bottom of my heart, KBeezie.

In Particular to places like Engeika and Bunkidou (especially when it came to finding a Platinum Century 3776 for bout 90 shipped). The information was riddled thru the forums here.

Ibrahim,

I bought my custom 74 at a stationary store in a small town in Cleveland,Tennessee (Joe Rodgers Office Supplies which I strongly recommend). I paid $133 for it but the owner didn't charge me for a bottle of pilot ink or a little pen I got for my sister.

It sells for much cheaper on Rakuten or Engeika (I've bought at both as well as at J subculture with no problems). Here it is at $70:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/komamono-honpo/item/fkk-1mr-nc/

Best,

Kate​

P.s. I just saw others gave the rakuten address as well--should have read!

Edited by LuckyKate

Kate, I am delighted you got things at such a bargain, and besides, he is in your area and it is noble of you to support him and give him business. Obviously he is a generous man and he deserves every bit of support and encouragement in his business and you are doing a great job with that. Excellent!

One question before I forget, Kate. Is that pen as smooth as Pilot Vanishing Point, so much so that you don't hear or feel any feedback? Buttery smooth? That is what I am personally after.

Edited by ibrahim

P.s. I just saw others gave the rakuten address as well--should have read!

However your link is a different seller.

Keep in mind, Rakuten is like eBay/Amazon, it's one site, but multiple sellers. So always best to check the reputation of a particular seller. For me I've only had experience with Bunkidou on Rakuten, and I know of Pen-House having good rep (for Pelikan and Sailor products), but haven't messed with anyone else on there.