Smoothest Lightweight Pen

Fwdlib

For a lightweight, smooth writing fountain pen try an Esterbrook J with a series 9xxx nib. My favorites are the Esterbrook Js with 9550 (extra fine) nib. I have, quite literally, written all day with one without any strain except that on my feeble mind. An Esterbrook J was designed for this very purpose and has performed efficiently for decades. An Esterbrook J, fully restored, can be had for less than $60.

Try one, you'll like it.

-David.

Thanks, David, for your suggestion of an Esterbrook J with a series 9xxx nib. I'll look into this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• ibrahim

• Fwdlib

• LuckyKate

By lightweight, I'm thinking of something similar to a Pelikan M200. My Pelikan is quite smooth, but not as "glide-y" as the Pilot VP.

I know what you mean by 'glide-y'. I have a VP in fine, and there is absolutely no way that I would be able to mistake that nib for anything else. I think part of the reason it's so glide-y is that the nib assembly flexes a bit, which makes the nib incredibly soft, like it has a suspension system... I also have a Pilot CH92, which has been suggested. My CH92 doesn't have that glide-y feel to it. It has good feedback, and the line has a bit more variation and whispiness to it.

From what I recall, the Pilot Falcon has a similar feel to the VP in terms of the smoothness and softness of the nib. The Falcon is also pretty light weight.

WARNING*** You can mess up a nib pretty easily if you use the wrong kind of abrasive, or if you go at it too hard. Just a thought...***

If you're only after a glass smooth nib, you can consider using mylar paper to smooth the nib of your M200. But it's still not going to be glide-y...

Edited by pendexter

Yes, the Pelikan M200 was the standard I mentioned for a smooth and lightweight pen. I didn't know that the LAMY 2000 is also lightweight. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Lamy 2000 is NOT a lightweight pen.

In fact weight is one reason I rejected using that pen.

To me, lightweight is below 15 grams (posted). The L2000 is 25 grams (posted).

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

For a lightweight, smooth writing fountain pen try an Esterbrook J with a series 9xxx nib. My favorites are the Esterbrook Js with 9550 (extra fine) nib. I have, quite literally, written all day with one without any strain except that on my feeble mind. An Esterbrook J was designed for this very purpose and has performed efficiently for decades. An Esterbrook J, fully restored, can be had for less than $60.

Try one, you'll like it.

-David.

David, we may have to investigate a new, higher level of the Estiebrook Enablers merit badge, just for you. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

One of my smoothest nibs is a medium on a Pilot Vanishing Point. However, because of the weight and feel of the pen, I don't feel comfortable writing with it for long journaling sessions.

Have you checked out the Pilot Decimo? It uses the same nib units as the VP but in a somewhat slimmer and significantly lighter body. I find the VP pointlessly chunky and heavy but really like the Decimo.

To respond specifically to the stated requirements of smooth and light, it'd be hard to argue against the Varsity.

It's probably not the answer you were looking for, but you probably can't get any lighter and it Does have an incredibly High satisfaction rating with FPNers.

Plus, once they run out of stock ink, you can refill them with the ink of Your choice.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

This has been to date my smoothest yet also lightweight pen I've used with a very smooth 14K Medium nib (supposedly the M200/205 with a steel nib should be just as nice).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/M250/uncapped.jpg

This one is so far feeling like it could be close, as it's a very lightweight pen for it's size. Comes in at about 25grams, so the size and my brain is making it seem lighter. My Pelikan M250 comes in at just shy of 15 grams inked. But with the Momenta I could spend a little extra for a compatible #6 nib that's been smoothed, or something custom ground, bit more 'budget' options. But that can be true of a lot of #6 capable pens like a Bexley down to a Nemosine Singularity. But the M250 is still top of my list for comfort.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/nov2014/momenta_full.jpg

But you could always take a Pilot Petit1 to a pad of micro-mesh and make it silky. :P My Petit1 is shy of 10 grams.

Edited by KBeezie

My Pelikan M200 (with a Binderized EF nib) and Wahl Eversharp Symphony 713 (NOS from Peyton Street Pens) are my two lightest and smoothest pens. I have a Waterman Kultur that I had Tim Girdler grind to an EF that is very light and smooth too.

Edited by Tasmith

While you look for that "Holy Grail" pen - consider a Pilot Metropolitan (MR out of US). They retail here in the states about $15.

They have a butter smooth nib - at least the four I got from Staples. They only carry medium size but other dedicated pen outlets in the US carry fine as well. The fine will be smooth too - but perhaps not as smooth as you desire from your experience.

They are lighter than my 2 VP's, and are a traditional shape you may find easier to hold.

For $15 you too might be amazed how good a basic pen can be. You see, Pilot has a strong reputation for very well made nibs.

They put well made, smooth nibs in even the cheapest of pens. Simply amazing.

While you look for that "Holy Grail" pen - consider a Pilot Metropolitan (MR out of US). They retail here in the states about $15.

They have a butter smooth nib - at least the four I got from Staples. They only carry medium size but other dedicated pen outlets in the US carry fine as well. The fine will be smooth too - but perhaps not as smooth as you desire from your experience.

They are lighter than my 2 VP's, and are a traditional shape you may find easier to hold.

For $15 you too might be amazed how good a basic pen can be. You see, Pilot has a strong reputation for very well made nibs.

They put well made, smooth nibs in even the cheapest of pens. Simply amazing.

If you like the Metro's nib, the same ones are in the Pilot 78G, and they're even lighter with a screw cap.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/78G/pair.jpg

Before the Metro had the option to get a Fine nib, getting a 78G was one of those methods to getting a Fine on a Metropolitan. Also as cheap as they are, there's usually little fear to just taking the medium (western fine) nib to some 12,000 grit micro-mesh (a couple of figure 8s should do the trick, just make sure the tines are aligned first) to get that extra smoothness.

But I concur, the M on the Metro I had, and the M on the 78G I had, quite wet and smooth for cheapies, outperformed any of the Chinese cheapies I've used (plus they're lighter).

The problem with the OP though, is a Metropolitan (MR there) is about twice the price in the UK.

Edited by KBeezie

Fwdlib, aloha from Hawaii! My recommendations would be the following:

• [*]Pilot Elite 95S - pros: extremely light weight, butter smooth 14K nib, good size if you travel with your journal, (caps compactly, posts full size), convenience of slip on cap for easier deployment, and good value for the money for a gold nib pen; cons: ink capacity small, (uses a CON20 convertor or proprietary Pilot cartridges).

+1

I endorse the recommendations for the Pelikan M200. I might add the Parker Slimfold which is more light but also more thin.

Depends how much you want to spend.

The Platinum Mak-e or Century Pens are made of resin, are very light and come with smooth gold nibs.

The pilot 78Gs are also light, but don't dance on the page as well as the Platinum (although they are a tenth of the price!)

"The problem with the OP though, is a Metropolitan (MR there) is about twice the price in the UK."

You lost me Karl. The OP appears to live in Hawaii.

Edited by Kansas Pen

"The problem with the OP though, is a Metropolitan (MR there) is about twice the price in the UK."

You lost me Karl. The OP appears to live in Hawaii.

Edit: not sure where I got UK from...

Edited by KBeezie

Thanks, David, for your suggestion of an Esterbrook J with a series 9xxx nib. I'll look into this.

Good! I honestly believe you will be very pleased. If you cannot locate one that is fully restored, the restoration is very easy and we (the Fountain Pen Network members) will be glad to walk you through it. If you find an Esterbrook J fully restored, but lacking in the 9xxx nib, let me know and we will try to take care of that small problem for you.

I should warn you, I suppose, that Esterbrooks can be habit forming. Personally, I don't believe it. I think it is only a rumor. There are, however, many people who believe it is true. Such people probably believe in the earth, sky, sun, moon, and other mythical things.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I'd add a vote for an M-nibbed Parker 51.

My smoothest lightweight pen is an Onoto Magna, unposted, but it's a bit fatter than a Pel 200.

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I have found that the Platinum 3776 (the blue or red) with a broad nib writes smoothly and is light. On the lower-end of the spectrum, my Lamy Lineas are very light, and with medium and broad nibs are very smooth writers. They are quite slim though. I like slim, but you might not...