What's Going On With Richard Binder's Shop & Nib Service?

TeaTherapy

Can't say enough good things about custom nibs from Pendleton Brown. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

They're trying to build a prison.................it's the totalitarian tiptoe!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LamyOne

• TeaTherapy

• SteveE

• Blueorb

I've done business with both Tim Girdler and Linda Kennedy (Indy-Pen-Dance). Both have been training with Richard Binder, and both do extremely good nib work, IMHO. As things unfold, it also appears that Indy-Pen-Dance is also carrying on with the pens of the Gate City Pen Company. Too bad nobody is able to carry on with their Ever Flo inks.

I've dealt with Linda and Mike at Indy-Pen-Dance, and I'm confident that any pen you buy from them will write well. They obviously have Richard's recommendation too.

As for the Everflo inks, they have Black and Blue listed on their web site. I don't know whether this is left-over from when Gate City was selling it or whether it's current production.

I think the EverFlo inks have long been discontinued. Richard was kind enough to sell me a remnant bottle of a particular color. When the ink is gone I'll still keep the bottle

Mr Binder while renowned as a nibmiester, has left a body of work on his web site that should NEVER be deleted. When he stops adding to it I hope it would be available on a CD, or whatever we have then. I constantly refer to it and look at it even when not researching a question. Even the musings are a treat to read and the diagrams are works of art in addition to being very clarifying.

While there are many skilled pretenders to the throne, Richard has gone the extra mile to reach out with his skills and his quest to educate fountain pen enthusiasts, both new and not-so-new and passing on his skills to (dare I say) apostles

I admire the orderliness of his closing down for a well deserved retirement, while still remaining on the side of the stage as an enthusiast. I hope to see Richard and his wife at the various pen shows, if only to wave Hello, if not to buy a pen (or two)

I think the EverFlo inks have long been discontinued. Richard was kind enough to sell me a remnant bottle of a particular color. When the ink is gone I'll still keep the bottle

Mr Binder while renowned as a nibmiester, has left a body of work on his web site that should NEVER be deleted. When he stops adding to it I hope it would be available on a CD, or whatever we have then. I constantly refer to it and look at it even when not researching a question. Even the musings are a treat to read and the diagrams are works of art in addition to being very clarifying.

While there are many skilled pretenders to the throne, Richard has gone the extra mile to reach out with his skills and his quest to educate fountain pen enthusiasts, both new and not-so-new and passing on his skills to (dare I say) apostles

I admire the orderliness of his closing down for a well deserved retirement, while still remaining on the side of the stage as an enthusiast. I hope to see Richard and his wife at the various pen shows, if only to wave Hello, if not to buy a pen (or two)

+ Pi! Richard and Barbara have brought A LOT of enjoyment to A LOT of pen people.

A Well Deserved retirement.

I believe Richard's pen wiki is available on iTunes.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• 3 weeks later...

Richard will be missed.

As for where else to go: The Fountain Pen Hospital provides terrific repair service, too.

I am seconding the fountain pen hospital, for vintage pens; And it would be a shame if Mr. Binder's notes, musings, and articles were ever lost!

Thanks for the info on Mr. Binder. I was fortunate enough to get a few pens from him just before this transition, all of which, of course, write superbly.

I've purchased pens from Nibs.com before and had an excellent experience.

Have not yet had the pleasure of interacting with any of the other nib masters others mentioned above, but look forward to doing so in the near future.

Meanwhile, I just received a .5mm Italifine/XF nib for my Edison Collier from Mr. Binder. Beautiful job it is. (I'd previously got a .9mm Italifine for a Pelikan M205).

So, while easing out of the retail pen bidness, he's still selling lovely nibs for various pens, at least for a while.

Richard's repair flag has been handed over to James Baer for a while and between him and Ron Zorn, I think anything can be repaired properly

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know of anyone who will do an “ItaliFine” grind?

I had a pen scheduled for this a couple of years back, but ran into financial difficulties.

The pen in question is an Aurora Hastil if that matters.