The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vintage Platignum Converter?

vintage platignum converter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Raskovnik

Raskovnik

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2014 - 15:13

An accident on fleabay ended with this interesting pen on my lap. From what I can gather, this is a vintage Platignum that takes out-of-production cartilages (don't even know the model). 

1XAFNsz.jpg

Does anyone know where I can get a converter for this pen? Help much appreciated! 

Sponsored Content

#2 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2014 - 18:48

Don't know about the converter but there appears to be nothing wrong with the cartridge. Why not clean the pen, fill the cartridge, and give it a go?

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#3 arcadeflow

arcadeflow

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2014 - 19:11

Have you tried a standard international cartridge? Sometimes different formats may fit. Some people use Lamy converters in Parker pens.

#4 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 19:18

The shape of the barrel also makes me think it might work as an eyedropper, too.

Good luck finding a proper converter!  Maybe the region-specific forum would be more help?

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#5 Princeps Anglorum

Princeps Anglorum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Location:Leicester, England (former home of the Wyvern Pen Co)
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2014 - 20:46

I have a modern Platignum. It doesn't take a standard international cartridge. The narrow neck section of the Platignum cartridges (which look identical to the old one you have) is longer than the standard international size. Cult pens sell a Platignum converter on their website (£3.60) and also the Platignum brand cartridges. I was told that Manuscript converters (50P) also fit Platignums. That seems to be the case though I haven't tried to ink my pen yet using such a converter.

Edited by Princeps Anglorum, 13 November 2014 - 20:46.

#6 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2014 - 22:18

Would the sailor converter fit?

I can't get a scale from the picture but it looks similar.

#Nope

#7 Raskovnik

Raskovnik

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2014 - 00:12

Don't know about the converter but there appears to be nothing wrong with the cartridge. Why not clean the pen, fill the cartridge, and give it a go?

Enjoy,

I'm planning to use that for now but cartridges wear out pretty fast, will feel much better if I have at least replacements at hand

Have you tried a standard international cartridge? Sometimes different formats may fit. Some people use Lamy converters in Parker pens.

I've tired:

• International long and short
  • parker
  • lamy
  • waterman
  • pilot
  • sheaffer
  • Manuscript 

No luck so far :(

The shape of the barrel also makes me think it might work as an eyedropper, too.

Good luck finding a proper converter!  Maybe the region-specific forum would be more help?

All else fails, that might be the way I'll go. Thanks for the suggestion on the region-specific forum :D

I have a modern Platignum. It doesn't take a standard international cartridge. The narrow neck section of the Platignum cartridges (which look identical to the old one you have) is longer than the standard international size. Cult pens sell a Platignum converter on their website (£3.60) and also the Platignum brand cartridges. I was told that Manuscript converters (50P) also fit Platignums. That seems to be the case though I haven't tried to ink my pen yet using such a converter.

Modern Platignum converters don't look like the cartridge I have, and I did try a Manuscript :( 

Would the sailor converter fit?

I can't get a scale from the picture but it looks similar.

I'm ashamed to say I don't have a Sailor pen (yet), might ask my friends to let me try one, thanks for the suggestion!

#8 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:24

I'm ashamed to say I don't have a Sailor pen (yet), might ask my friends to let me try one, thanks for the suggestion!

And maybe try a Platinum converter. That I think has a smaller hole.

#Nope

#9 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:42

Here is what I think a vintage Platignum converter that is fitted in my pen. Also the modern Platignum converter and cartridges can be seen.

http://www.fountainp...gnum-converter/

Edited by mitto, 13 January 2015 - 05:47.

Khan M. Ilyas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, platignum, converter

Sponsored Content

|