• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• TSherbs

• Charles Rice

• NotRosie

It was decades ago, way too long ago for me to remember. Options were limited to what I had access to in stores (no internet shopping back then LOL) so it was most likely a bottle of Waterman or Montblanc. I still have a bottle of MB Emerald Green (old bottle style) that I rarely use now that I can no longer find this color anymore.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I got my first pen and inks a bit over a year ago. With the pen, a Pilot 823, I got three bottles all at once. Pilot Blue, Pilot Iro Kon-peki, and Pilot Iro Yama-budo.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

A Sheaffer Script bottle has a small trough at the mouth of the bottle. It is an inkwell that is very

convenient. I used it to refill my cartridges (Frugal 50+ years ago) with blue-black ink. In those

days, syringes were strictly by prescription. I refilled by pinching the cartridge and submerging

it into the ink. Between three and four refillings, it split and got all over my hands. At 10-cents

each, most kids ran out and their pens went dormant. My Sheaffer made it through the year.

I miss those bottles.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Mine was a bottle of Black Quink I found in and art shop/cafe (it was, for the record, a rather good art shop and a good cafe). I had found a Parker converter in a drawer, and decided that I could use it in my Vector if I found a bottle of ink. I had absolutely zero knowledge of inks or pens then, but something about it just drew me in and screamed at me to buy it.

My first one was Lamy Black. No particularly a fan at all. It is easy to wash though, so sometimes I use it to test out a new pen. My second purchase was Kon-peki and to this day is one of my favourite inks.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

BBU, you might manage to reduce the smudging of X-Feather the same way I reduced the smudging of my Noodler's Red-Black: I diluted it with water, about 5:1 ink:water.

My first bottle of actual ink (as opposed to Dr. P. H. Martin's Brilliant Watercolors) was Quink Blue-Black, around 1986. My Dad used black Quink, and as I couldn't find any black, I got the blue-black.

I did not like that ink, which I think is one of the reasons I loaded my Osmiroid and my A&W plastic school pen with what looked like a red Lamy nib with those pigmented liquid watercolors.

Noodler's Dark Matter

I was convinced since I had a pen and a limited number of cartridges I would soon need a bottle. Not the case it turned out based both on my rate of consumption and the ink samples I started to get.

I thought black would the most practical color. After a fair bit of looking I settled on Dark Matter based on the reviews.

If I recall correctly, my first bottle of ink was Waterman Florida Blue. I figured that I'd start with something tried and true that is known to work trouble-free. After that, I dived into the more exotic world of Noodler's, PR, and Herbin.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

I have memories of a bottle of skrip as a kid, but I don't think that really counts, since I'm not even sure if it was mine.

The first bottle of Ink I bought was just a few weeks ago: Pilot's asa-gao / Morning Glory. My wife and I picked it out because we liked the color on the sample page. After getting over the shock of the price, we also bought a bottle of Private Reserve American Blue for an "everyday" ink.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Hi there! I'm new here, but this looks like a fun community.

My first bottle took forever to choose. I had previously used cartridges, but felt that the color choices for that brand were a bit stifling. I knew there were more colors out there, but had no idea just how many until I went to make a purchase.

After agonizing over the choices, I surprised myself by selecting a bottle of J. Herbin Bleu Myosotis. I'm not much of a blue fan in general, but from the moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it. It is such a variable ink - it shades beautifully, dries much paler than it writes when wet, and seems to darken as it sits in the pen. It reminds me of the sea and sky on a stormy day.

I've tried a number of inks over the years thanks to sampling services, but I always have one pen inked with Bleu Myosotis. I never would have guessed that I would fall in love with my first ink.

​Ride like a man possessed.

I bought a bottle of Watermans Serenity Blue and a bottle of Lamy Blue-Black and J. Herbin Rouge Hematite all on the same day as a part of my very first pen purchase. Without even opening the bottle, I went back the next day and exchanged the Blue-Black for Lamy Turquoise. I am pretty fond of that ink even now, and I've still never gotten a good look at Lamy Blue Black in person but I don't feel the lack.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

We were always trying to find a decent black in the olden days to draw with. There weren't any. My 1st bottle of ink was Skrip Black that was actually a darkish grey.

I thank my lucky stars for Noodler's Black ink now, and all the nice new black inks lately. A great time for ink.

Yes, those Skrip bottles were nice. I sure wish I'd have kept a few of them.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Levenger Cobalt Blue and Raven Black (purchased same time)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The long discontinued Parker Penman Black. Does that make me ancient or what!

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter