What Was Your First Bottle Of Ink

Ambrose Bierce

Just out of curiosity, what was everyone's first bottle and why did you pick that one. Samples do not count, it has to be a full fledged bottle of ink. Personally I got a 4.5oz bottle of Noodler's X-Feather. I choose it because I wanted a big bottle so I could get a pen with it, I thought black was the only "appropriate" fountain pen ink color (boy was I wrong), and the website I bought it from was running a special on X-Feather so it was cheaper than other black Noodler's bottles. All-in-all I am happy with a my purchase, even if it was not founded in much knowledge and I lost the preppy :(. So how do all of your first ink purchases stack up next to mine?

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• inkstainedruth

• Charles Rice

• NotRosie

My first bottle was J. Herbin Perle Noire. I chose Herbin on the suggestion of the proprietor and picked black because I wanted to start out with something pretty straight forward and because the selection was fairly limited.

After a few packs of Lamy cartridges, I settled on Pelikan 4001 blue-black. I liked the richness and opacity, and the slight color change as it dried.

Definitely missing it, now that it's discontinued.

10 years on PFN! I feel old, but not as old as my pens.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir

Noodler's Purple Martin...because who doesn't love purple.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Skrip blue-black, 40 years or so ago because it was the only bottled ink available to me.

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Very difficult to remember back that far, but it probably was Skrip blue.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Private Reserve Sherwood Green. I already has some cartridges of black, blue, and Black Cherry in hand, and of the (few) bottles at the store, Sherwood Green looked the most interesting. Thing is, I quickly discovered Goulet Pens, and their ink samples, and to this day, nearly two years later, I've never actually inked up a pen from that first bottle of Sherwood Green. One of these days ...

My first bottle was a gift of Levenger Pinkly; the first bottle I bought was Pelikan 4001 Turquoise. Still love that ink.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Parker Quink Permanent Black

I hated the Quink Washable Blue that came with the pen and, once I got a converter, the next thing was a bottle of ink.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My first bottle was purple Russian ink Raduga. The only brand and color we were allowed to use at primary school. It was an awful ink. Speaking of my own first free choice it was Waterman Black. I thought that black gives most contrast and is easier to read. But later it turned out that certain shades of blue are more legible.

Mine was X-Feather too, but in the regular-sized bottle. I wanted a permanent, multi-purpose black, but thanks to poor timing, the regular black wasn't available. The ink is nice, but it can smudge even when dry, so I'm still hoping to find another permanent black that I deem perfect. Perhaps I may even abstain from buying any other colour before I do that even though I do have interest in other colours. I guess I just find it hard to move on to the next thing when the last one didn't make me perfectly content.

Lamy Safari blue. Bought it along with my Lamy Safari, which was my first fountain pen. Expected to use it. As it turns out, I didn't like the color. Too boring. Second bottle was Iroshizuku Yama-Budo. Nice purple, but too bright for my tastes. That's when I realized that I liked dark inks that bordered on black...

My first was Noodler's North African Violet. I thought it would be my "signature" color. I thought I would only buy one pen. One ink. Ha.

Pendemonium's exclusive Legal Lapis or Noodler's Aircorp Blue/Black, can't remeber which. I may have purchased both at the same time.

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Haha, yes, Raduga purple was my first too... But not by choice, parents bought when I was in grade school.

Recently, when I bought my own, Waterman Florida Blue

My first was Lamy Black. I knew Lamy had a good reputation in the fountain pen world, which is what drew me to it in the first place. Thing is, I didn't do much research and I thought "black ink is black ink, they're all the same!" but I ended up being rather disappointed with the saturation of the ink, and so I bought a bottle of Noodler's Black shortly after. I gave away the Lamy bottle to a friend.

Waterman Florida Blue or something Pilot.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Lamy blue because it was on sale when I bought my first real pen and I needed some ink. Eventually I dumped it out but I kept the bottle. If now houses some J. Herbin ink.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!