Choosing An Esterbrook

Sethbash

Hey guys. I'm looking to get my first esterbrook pen and I've got a few questions.

1. What body should I get?

2. What are the best nib options? I like a finer line since I write crappy high school paper

3. Where is the best place to purchase one?

Also some things about me, I'm a high school student and I've had some limited experience with fountain pens. In my collection. So far I have a lamy Safari F, pilot metropolitan F, and a jinhao x450. Also I've used pilot varsities.

On a side note what inks do you all like to take notes in?

Do you stick with blues and blacks or go something a little more vibrant.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• SockAddict

• Sethbash

• injesticate

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First off, welcome!

Second, I'd recommend a 9550 nib or similar for fine note taking.

As for body, it depends on what you are looking for and personal preference and things like the size of your hand. A J pen is a solid choice.

A guy is selling restored esterbrooks on etsy so that's a safe bet. Then there's ebay or our own classifieds.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

A J is a great suggestion. If you prefer something smaller there's the SJ or if you want something more slender try the LJ. All can be found rather easily and you have 6 different colors to choose from.

John L

I've bought from that seller before and have always been pleased, plus it states that it has already been restored, but if you are wanting a F or XF nib you will have to find one and buy it separately. Don't be discouraged by that though, it's a very simple nib swap and they aren't hard to find. The pen you've linked to has a medium nib.

John L

:W2FPN:

Hi,

I prefer the Fine - Medium 9nnn series nibs. The XF nibs are 'posting' nibs, so are very narrow indeed, and may not run smoothly on coarse copy/print paper. That's not to say they're not excellent nibs - I use one for tiny detail and idiotic poorly designed forms.

I've used various Estie nibs in my Ink Reviews, and the nib numbers are entered, hence those numbers can be used as search criteria to view the NIB-ism image and atrocious written samples.

e.g. Diamine Macassar https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/206139-diamine-macassar/?p=2128980

Line 'A' is from a 9550 XF nib.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/49ba25a1.jpg

e.g. Noodler's Arthur Brown Manhattan Blue https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/250310-noodlers-arthur-brown-manhattan-blue/?p=2742456

Line 'B' is from a 9284 9556 F nib.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Manhattan%20Blue/21110db0.jpg

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/192761-pelikan-4001-blue-black/

Line 'C' is from a 9668 M nib.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pelikan%204001%20Blue%20Black/9cfbbd35.jpg

As for ink, Pilot Blue or Blue-Black are great workhorse inks. For something a bit darker, Diamine Sapphire and Noodler's Ottoman Azure might suit. All are 'simple' aniline dye inks, and maintenance is just a tad greater than a Washable ink. Only if you encounter a truly dreadful paper would it be necessary to use an ink with iron-gall content, such as R&K Salix or Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI.)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I've written with a number of Esterbrook nibs and IME the nibs don't always write as their model #'s indicate. For example, I have a 2668 (firm medium) that writes a finer line than a 9556 (fine writing). Just something to be aware of. Good luck with your search.

You might be able to ask that seller if he would swap the nib for a 9550. He sells a lot of Esties so he should have it in stock and it's arguably a less commonly desired nib as well which goes in your favour.

Oh, and welcome to Esterbrook enjoyment!

Edited by Veltri

I've written with a number of Esterbrook nibs and IME the nibs don't always write as their model #'s indicate. For example, I have a 2668 (firm medium) that writes a finer line than a 9556 (fine writing). Just something to be aware of. Good luck with your search.

^^this

One of the reasons I posted the photo above. I don't really see a difference between the fine and medium line widths, and can only just spot the XF difference.

Also, what's the difference between the 9xxx nibs and the 2xxx nibs? Or could someone just give me a general rundown of esterbrook nibs.

Once again thanks for all the help guys.

Also, what's the difference between the 9xxx nibs and the 2xxx nibs? Or could someone just give me a general rundown of esterbrook nibs.

Hi,

Here's a link to one of the many Reference Pages that Richard Binder has graciously contributed, which also include the (pop-up) Estie nib charts : http://www.richardspens.com/?nibs=renew_point

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

i dont see how you could go wrong with that particular pen or nib---and most likely for $35 or less---go for it

Here's a link to a pen I found on eBay. Is it worth it? Or do you think it needs to be restored.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copper-ESTERBROOK-J-Lever-Fountain-Pen-Master-ReNew-9556-M-Nib-New-Sac-/351218053778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c63a3292

FWIW, I am almost sure that seller is a FPNer but I don't know his nick here.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

:W2FPN:

Hi,

I prefer the Fine - Medium 9nnn series nibs. The XF nibs are 'posting' nibs, so are very narrow indeed, and may not run smoothly on coarse copy/print paper. That's not to say they're not excellent nibs - I use one for tiny detail and idiotic poorly designed forms.

I've used various Estie nibs in my Ink Reviews, and the nib numbers are entered, hence those numbers can be used as search criteria to view the NIB-ism image and atrocious written samples.

e.g. Diamine Macassar https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/206139-diamine-macassar/?p=2128980

Line 'A' is from a 9550 XF nib.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Comparison%20-%20Sheaffer%20Skrip%20Blue%20TO%20MBRB/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Macassar/49ba25a1.jpg

e.g. Noodler's Arthur Brown Manhattan Blue https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/250310-noodlers-arthur-brown-manhattan-blue/?p=2742456

Line 'B' is from a 9284 F nib.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Manhattan%20Blue/21110db0.jpg

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/192761-pelikan-4001-blue-black/

Line 'C' is from a 9668 M nib.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pelikan%204001%20Blue%20Black/9cfbbd35.jpg

As for ink, Pilot Blue or Blue-Black are great workhorse inks. For something a bit darker, Diamine Sapphire and Noodler's Ottoman Azure might suit. All are 'simple' aniline dye inks, and maintenance is just a tad greater than a Washable ink. Only if you encounter a truly dreadful paper would it be necessary to use an ink with iron-gall content, such as R&K Salix or Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI.)

Bye,

S1

9284 is a broad stub.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hey guys. I'm looking to get my first esterbrook pen and I've got a few questions.

1. What body should I get?
2. What are the best nib options? I like a finer line since I write crappy high school paper
3. Where is the best place to purchase one?

Also some things about me, I'm a high school student and I've had some limited experience with fountain pens. In my collection. So far I have a lamy Safari F, pilot metropolitan F, and a jinhao x450. Also I've used pilot varsities.

On a side note what inks do you all like to take notes in?
Do you stick with blues and blacks or go something a little more vibrant.

1 - Body size really depends on your hand and what you feel comfortable with. Example, I use the slim LJ, because the fatter J feels too fat in my hand. So it is really personal preference. If you like how the metro feels, you will probably like the J.

2 - As was mentioned XF nibs can be troublesome on less than smooth paper. The problem is, the point of the nib can be sharp enough to fall into the texture of the paper, making for quite unpleasant writing as you feel the tip going up and down. The wider nibs reduce this feeling. I would say F or a narrow M. Warning, the nib sizes are not very consistent. Think of manufacturing tolerance. I have a M that writes just as narrow as a F, it has a small tip that looks like the F tip.

ink: I used BLACK ink all thru college. It is really personal preference. I like how some blue inks look, and I don't like how others look. Also the same ink can look different out of 2 different pens. I like and use Cross/Pelikan blue in my Esterbrook with a 9668 M nib that writes as thin as my 9556 F nib. In my limited experience, my Esterbrook nibs are wet, so don't use a wet ink like Waterman, as it would put too much ink on the paper and take longer to dry.

gud luk

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Even at $30 that would be an okay pen. Very often you can buy J's for less than $20, but generally it will need sacced and a nib. Decide what it is worth for you. At the end of the auction bid your max with seconds to go. This keeps the people who inch up their bid from having time to do so.

Good luck!

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

I have used the Esterbrooks quite a bit and with a variety of nibs. The Esterbrooks would have been OK while I was going through grade school, high school and college. They are also excellent for exploring, at a fairly reasonable cost, the different types of nibs. While I am still keeping about twenty of these gadgets around, I don't use them much anymore. They are a great stepping-stone pen, though. Trying out all these nib types in another maker's pens would usually cost a good bit more. Use them to try different nib types.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.