The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu

iroshizuku ink review purple

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:51

Seriously, the names of these Iroshizuku inks will be the death of me.  Doesn’t matter how many times I write/type it, I always have to double check the spelling.

This ink was given to me as a birthday gift from my mother.  Unlike the Shin-ryoku that she got me for Christmas last year, I had specified this color as one that I really wanted.

fpn_1415706532__tumblr_inline_neuqi3td95

Remember how unimpressed I was with the Pelikan Violet because it had too much red in it?  This is a perfect purple ink for me because it’s much more towards the blue side of things.

fpn_1415706570__tumblr_inline_neuqk6lxr7

Seriously, I can’t get over how much I love this color.  I’m a sucker for jewel tones, and this hits that mark right on.

fpn_1415706597__tumblr_inline_neuqlbkxpj

It was also surprisingly water resistant, which is a plus for me since I don’t like to make an ink a “daily user” unless it has at least a bit of water resistance, and I was going to be really sad if this had to be a special occasion only ink.

fpn_1415706624__tumblr_inline_neuqn9xqa8

Like pretty much every other Iroshizuku ink I’ve tried, this one behaves wonderfully and gave me no troubles with feathering or bleeding, even on the Field Notes paper.  And it didn’t do the weird disappearing act when highlighted that I saw with the Pelikan ink, so that’s a plus.

Overall, I really recommend this ink.  Then again I might be biased because I think it’s like the most perfect color ever.  I also don’t know that I have tried any other inks that come really close in terms of color, so if you know of one that matches and has good behavior and is cheaper than the premium $28/50 mL that we see with Iroshizuku inks, let me know!

This ink was given as a gift and I am not being compensated for this review in any way.  All opinions above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

Full page scan of the review:

fpn_1415706673__tumblr_inline_neur0511lz

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Sponsored Content

#2 Hallel

Hallel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 15:59

Very nice review. This is a very pretty purple and I was surprised at how water resistant it is.
I find this shade to be fairly muted and calm which isn't what I think of when I think 'purple ink'.
The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

#3 lgreen

lgreen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 19:51

It is a lovely ink! Sailor [Kobe LE 'Monet Violet' - easily bought from ebay] have one which is almost identical but just a smidge darker/more saturated which is well worth checking out also

#4 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2014 - 21:10

Good review. I don't like the color but I find the review really useful.

#5 mhm802

mhm802

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:29

I  loved this color when I tested it earlier this year, but I was surprised to discover after several months that it exhibited significant fading. YMMV  

#6 Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2014 - 20:04

I  loved this color when I tested it earlier this year, but I was surprised to discover after several months that it exhibited significant fading. YMMV

Was it exposed to light while fading or in a notebook?

#7 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2014 - 20:05

Interesting.  I have it scheduled to be in my next round of fade tests, so I'll definitely report (somewhere) on how it performs.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

#8 Kyou-chan

Kyou-chan

NEMeOw

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 22:16

Thank you for the review -- I have to say I rather love the ink's name, though, because it always brings to mind an elegant woman :)  

I might pick this up soon.  Any comparison to Herbin's Violette Pensée?

#9 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2014 - 16:19

What a gorgeous ink. It reminds me a lot of Standardgraph Beerenblau: I'll have to get a sample of this so I can A/B them. 

Very nice review, thanks!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#10 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:37

Great job!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#11 Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" ~ Keats

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2014 - 20:54

Thank you for reviewing this ink!

It is a very pretty shade of lavender  - not too blue or pink - right in the middle!  :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

#12 redisburning

redisburning

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 00:20

Thank you for the review -- I have to say I rather love the ink's name, though, because it always brings to mind an elegant woman :)

http://en.wikipedia....e_Tale_of_Genji

Kenneth Parker is my homeboy
The smart money is on you being wrong.

#13 Kyou-chan

Kyou-chan

NEMeOw

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:10

I know :)  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iroshizuku, ink review, purple