The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Esterbrook - Looking For A Modern Converter That Fits

esterbrook estie converter fit

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 17:59

This is a whole lot of effort to go to to make something work.  The challenge is there, and so no effort will be spared to conquer it.  I get that, and these pens have frustrated me for some time.  Well, you do need something to mess around with. 

I like the look of the Safari cartridge pens enough to keep a sample of them.  I would have liked to make them work, but I didn't want to do anything in the way of a permanent mod that couldn't be undone.  Shellacking a sac into the section can be undone with alcohol. 

You see that this is sufficiently intriguing that I am still trying converters from time to time even though I am convinced beyond doubt that the cause is hopeless.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

#22 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 00:54

Friday evening tinkering: finally got around to attempting to fashioning something with a Sheaffer cartridge for my CA-101s. But then I figured out that I can maybe try to fit a converter directly on it.

So I fished out one of my cheap converters, $3 each off the Bay, not so different than what you'd find on a Jinhao or Baoer pen. It's plastic, and so the cut would not be difficult. I aimed my cutter to slice off the protruding tip and hoped that the opening created would not be too large to fit the pen's nipple. 

[attachment=299914:16335539620_bc2bffc87d_z.jpg]

Well, what do you know? It fits very nicely, with only some rough parts sanded away. It seems precarious but I noticed that the converter is grabbing onto the nipple with as much stability as the old cartridge.

[attachment=299915:16523020155_a1da92d7f7_z.jpg]

And the converter also goes right into the barrel without any obstruction. I even shook and tossed the pen (capped) a few times on the shaggy rug. Nothing spilled out or came loose.

Note: one has to be careful with the converter's plunger, as it goes right down to the nipple and can push the whole thing up. Just twist back up and then push the entire converter back in place once there's room.

[attachment=299916:16336720319_512a6c739d_z.jpg]

So my CA-101 is no longer dependent on filling up original Esterbrook cartridges or modified Sheaffer ones. I may syringe-fill those still, but when these 101s are in my rotation, it'll be nice to have a converter in my bag, just in case the ink goes dry in the middle of the day and I don't want to bring out a syringe for everyone to wonder about.

[attachment=299918:16522106922_15b2f54296_z.jpg]

Coming up next time is the rig talked about for the Safari. Attaching a ready-made converter is unlikely to work, as the nipple is very small. Will likely do something with a sac for that one.

Edited by spaceink, 14 February 2015 - 01:57.

#23 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 20:25

Hello, just wanted to show the converters I created for the Safari.

One is a plain sac converter, using a punctured Sheaffer cartridge end as the connector. I gave it a little bit of an "ink view" window.

[attachment=301126:16596228032_318299f5e5_z.jpg]

The other involves the same treatment but with an international-size converter with a sac piece shellacked in for extra peace of mind. I've found that the Sheaffer ends wrap around these kinds of converters nicely (also secured with some shellac).

[attachment=301128:16417170268_7b825126f0_z.jpg]

[attachment=301127:16417170288_d8a6ca2a9a_z.jpg]

Edited by spaceink, 22 February 2015 - 18:22.

#24 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2015 - 23:25

Mighty cool engineering!

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#25 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:03

Thanks! It's pretty basic stuff, compared to other feats I've seen, but I'm a tinkerer and thought others might enjoy the post or find it useful.

Edited by spaceink, 28 February 2015 - 01:03.

#26 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:34

The good thing is that you made a pen that was an orphan (no cartridge or converter) usable again.

The bad thing is now people will start looking for those pens, now that the cartridge/converter problem has been solved.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#27 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:09

After some time with the C-101s, I'm changing my suggestion from attaching the modified converter directly to using a Sheaffer cartridge segment as a sleeve (after making the cut on the converter). The segment sleeve helps to push the rig flatter against the edges and offers more stability, over time, than the converter could alone.

I cut a new longer sleeve, about 1.5 cm, and it's fitting the 101 a bit better, as well.

[attachment=303545:16747056062_7b1a53c739_z.jpg]

As for the Safari, the bulb has worked best for me, when not syringe-filling a cartridge. The cartridge-converter combo is a bit too big for it with the converter stuffed inside, and I'm afraid of putting stress on the pen's plastic.

Edited by spaceink, 08 March 2015 - 02:27.

#28 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2015 - 17:28

I just tried a Platinum 500 converter on a CA101, and it's a snug fit.  I've got ink in it, and we'll see how it holds up.  Pics to follow.

#29 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2015 - 20:46

fpn_1434746749__esterbrook_ca101_blue_me

#30 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2015 - 20:31

I just bought my first CA101 today, so thank you all for this thread!  I think I'm going to start with the Platinum converter idea, but I do have a plethora of Sheaffer cartridges I can modify, if need be.

#31 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:06

Nice. Will have to try that. Thanks for posting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, estie, converter, fit

Sponsored Content

|