Friday evening tinkering: finally got around to attempting to fashioning something with a Sheaffer cartridge for my CA-101s. But then I figured out that I can maybe try to fit a converter directly on it.
So I fished out one of my cheap converters, $3 each off the Bay, not so different than what you'd find on a Jinhao or Baoer pen. It's plastic, and so the cut would not be difficult. I aimed my cutter to slice off the protruding tip and hoped that the opening created would not be too large to fit the pen's nipple.
Well, what do you know? It fits very nicely, with only some rough parts sanded away. It seems precarious but I noticed that the converter is grabbing onto the nipple with as much stability as the old cartridge.
And the converter also goes right into the barrel without any obstruction. I even shook and tossed the pen (capped) a few times on the shaggy rug. Nothing spilled out or came loose.
Note: one has to be careful with the converter's plunger, as it goes right down to the nipple and can push the whole thing up. Just twist back up and then push the entire converter back in place once there's room.
So my CA-101 is no longer dependent on filling up original Esterbrook cartridges or modified Sheaffer ones. I may syringe-fill those still, but when these 101s are in my rotation, it'll be nice to have a converter in my bag, just in case the ink goes dry in the middle of the day and I don't want to bring out a syringe for everyone to wonder about.
Coming up next time is the rig talked about for the Safari. Attaching a ready-made converter is unlikely to work, as the nipple is very small. Will likely do something with a sac for that one.
Edited by spaceink, 14 February 2015 - 01:57.