What Is Your Favorite Iroshizuku Color?

Sky Fountain Pens

Yama-budo for me, too! It is the only bottle I bought, after trying several samples of other colours.

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stonezebra

• gwyneddd

• jmccarty3

• FountainPenCowgirl

Ku-jaku is a popular colour. I used to like it but I'm starting to wish it were a little bluer. Blue like its colour before the colour-shift when it dries.

I've use Fuyu-gaki for a year as my grading ink, but now I wish it were a bit redder.

Yama-budo has pretty golden sheen but the colour doesn't really appeal to me much.

My most recent Iroshizuku purchase is Tsuyu-kusa, the most ignored Iro ink (it seems). For the moment I like it a lot, but it isn't a very special colour so I can see why it's not one of the popular Iro inks.

Maybe I'm too difficult to please...

Tsuki-yo is my favourite although I do like Kon-peki, Yama-budo and Murasaki-shikibu. Not too fond of how Tsuki-yo looks in a dry, fine-nibbed pen though.

I was kinda interested in Ina-Ho but I was told it didn't flow as well as the other colors. Althought their colors are solid and ok, I find it difficult for me to decide. It probably means their colors don't interest me enough. I can easily find interesting colors in other brands, like Diamine, Noodler's, J. Herbin, Akkerman and specially the other Japanese brands that release specialty inks limited to few stores. Right now I probably am more interested in darker blues, sepia tones, brownish/reddish or copper tones, and so on, and Iro inks feel more delicate and happy shades. When I get my first bottle it is probably going to be Yama-Budo (I might regret picking a purple) for its interesting sheen, or Tsuki-Yo (because I prefer Shin-Kai tone but it seems to be very much like Pilot Blue Black which I already ordered).

I haven't found Ina-ho to any flow issues at all, but it may be the pens I've used it in. I have found that it is very paper dependent; on some it dries to a very pleasing golden colour, but on others it looks like a slightly unpleasant muddy brown.

Syo-Ro is my favourite.

Hm, very hard ti pick just one, I love most of them, and the rest I quite like :). I guess currently asa-gao is the top favourite, but I also love ajisai, syo-ro, murasaki, fuyu-gaki, shin-ryoku, momiji and ina-ho.

Edited by Morwen

My favourites are Tsuki-yo, Kiri-same and Yama-guri.

Yama-budo is probably my least favourite of all inks. To me it's fuschia, which is the only colour in the spectrum I actively dislike.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

The only two I've been really thrilled with are Yama-budo and Yama-guri. Both of those were definitely ones I wanted full bottles of in the ink stash. Tsukushi wasn't bad, but I liked Yama-guri a little better color-wise.

Still trying to make up my mind about Take-sumi and Tsutsuji. Asa-Ago was too drippy for me, and I thought the color a little, well, boring. Kosumosu only looked good in a really broad nib (and in incandescent light looks like overripe watermelon) -- and I never seemed to be able to get the pink to orange shading I'd seen in reviews. Fuyu-gaki behaved well -- I just didn't like the color. And Fuyu-syogun was a bit too light to be legible (and I wasn't getting the blue overtones that other people seemed to get).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I was kinda interested in Ina-Ho but I was told it didn't flow as well as the other colors. Althought their colors are solid and ok, I find it difficult for me to decide. It probably means their colors don't interest me enough. I can easily find interesting colors in other brands, like Diamine, Noodler's, J. Herbin, Akkerman and specially the other Japanese brands that release specialty inks limited to few stores. Right now I probably am more interested in darker blues, sepia tones, brownish/reddish or copper tones, and so on, and Iro inks feel more delicate and happy shades. When I get my first bottle it is probably going to be Yama-Budo (I might regret picking a purple) for its interesting sheen, or Tsuki-Yo (because I prefer Shin-Kai tone but it seems to be very much like Pilot Blue Black which I already ordered).

Ina-Ho is something that should only be found in diapers of the young on apricot day... and most unfortunately named!

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

As Orange is my favorite color, Yu-Yaki is my favorite. It's. Beautiful deep tone. When I sign a bill or something I commonly get "wow, not blue or black ink". I t always makes me smile. Kon- Peki is also beautiful.

Tsuki Yo and Asa Gao

I fall into this camp but ended up using syo-ro the most. Half empty and bought last (of my blues and blue-greens). Asa-gao is also the very deepest, I think, and momiji can only capture that really bad day.

Interesting how FPN spell check whipped on all of these! I had soy-ro, and as-goa, but the best "correction" was "mimosa" for momiji. Too fun. I guess I sometimes could use that early in the morning, instead of the red ink. Just sayin'.

My favorites are Ku-Jaku, Yama-Budo, and Kon-Peki in that order.

I've gone through 1/2 a bottle of the Ku-Jaku and 1/3 of a bottle of Yama-Budo in the past 6 months alone. I'll use Kon-Peki in relief of the Ku-Jaku once in a while.

Cheers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No one seems to have much love for the Murisaki-shikibu or some of the lighter blues, like Ajisai. Is it that they are too unsaturated?

I just got a sample of Asa-gao and I like it almost as much as Kon-Peki.

Murisaki-shikibu is a wonderful matt pastel ink which is still perfectly legible but if had to select a favourite it would Syo-ro

No one seems to have much love for the Murisaki-shikibu or some of the lighter blues, like Ajisai. Is it that they are too unsaturated?

There was an ink review thread just this week where someone described Murasaki-shikibu as "simply the best color ever", so there are people who think it wonderful. I haven't tried it yet.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Of the Iro's I've tried I like Tsuki- yo the most, I have Kon-Peki and Kosumosu but they don't get as much use. But it's also a seasonal thing. I reach for them more in the spring.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

My favorite Iroshizuku inks are:

Tsuki-yo - a glorious deep blue/black

Take-sumi - a black ink that shades to a rich charcoal

I own a bottle of each.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com