The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Is Your Favorite Iroshizuku Color?

favorite color iroshizuku

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Floreat

Floreat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:32

Yama-budo for me, too! It is the only bottle I bought, after trying several samples of other colours.
UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

Sponsored Content

#22 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:41

Ku-jaku is a popular colour. I used to like it but I'm starting to wish it were a little bluer. Blue like its colour before the colour-shift when it dries.

I've use Fuyu-gaki for a year as my grading ink, but now I wish it were a bit redder.

Yama-budo has pretty golden sheen but the colour doesn't really appeal to me much.

My most recent Iroshizuku purchase is Tsuyu-kusa, the most ignored Iro ink (it seems). For the moment I like it a lot, but it isn't a very special colour so I can see why it's not one of the popular Iro inks.

Maybe I'm too difficult to please...

#23 Exlaminis

Exlaminis

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:44

Tsuki-yo is my favourite although I do like Kon-peki, Yama-budo and Murasaki-shikibu. Not too fond of how Tsuki-yo looks in a dry, fine-nibbed pen though.

#24 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:43

I was kinda interested in Ina-Ho but I was told it didn't flow as well as the other colors. Althought their colors are solid and ok, I find it difficult for me to decide. It probably means their colors don't interest me enough. I can easily find interesting colors in other brands, like Diamine, Noodler's, J. Herbin, Akkerman and specially the other Japanese brands that release specialty inks limited to few stores. Right now I probably am more interested in darker blues, sepia tones, brownish/reddish or copper tones, and so on, and Iro inks feel more delicate and happy shades. When I get my first bottle it is probably going to be Yama-Budo (I might regret picking a purple) for its interesting sheen, or Tsuki-Yo (because I prefer Shin-Kai tone but it seems to be very much like Pilot Blue Black which I already ordered).

I haven't found Ina-ho to any flow issues at all, but it may be the pens I've used it in. I have found that it is very paper dependent; on some it dries to a very pleasing golden colour, but on others it looks like a slightly unpleasant muddy brown.

Syo-Ro is my favourite.

#25 Morwen

Morwen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:08

Hm, very hard ti pick just one, I love most of them, and the rest I quite like :). I guess currently asa-gao is the top favourite, but I also love ajisai, syo-ro, murasaki, fuyu-gaki, shin-ryoku, momiji and ina-ho.

Edited by Morwen, 10 November 2014 - 11:08.

#26 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:37

My favourites are Tsuki-yo, Kiri-same and Yama-guri.

Yama-budo is probably my least favourite of all inks. To me it's fuschia, which is the only colour in the spectrum I actively dislike.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#27 purplepen

purplepen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:43

Yama Budo hands down !

#28 Mishka5050

Mishka5050

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 14:01

Ku-Jaku :)

#29 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:24

Yama Budo

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#30 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:05

The only two I've been really thrilled with are Yama-budo and Yama-guri.  Both of those were definitely ones I wanted full bottles of in the ink stash.  Tsukushi wasn't bad, but I liked Yama-guri a little better color-wise.

Still trying to make up my mind about Take-sumi and Tsutsuji. Asa-Ago was too drippy for me, and I thought the color a little, well, boring.  Kosumosu only looked good in a really broad nib (and in incandescent light looks like overripe watermelon) -- and I never seemed to be able to get the pink to orange shading I'd seen in reviews.  Fuyu-gaki behaved well -- I just didn't like the color.  And Fuyu-syogun was a bit too light to be legible (and I wasn't getting the blue overtones that other people seemed to get).  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#31 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,722 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:10

I was kinda interested in Ina-Ho but I was told it didn't flow as well as the other colors. Althought their colors are solid and ok, I find it difficult for me to decide. It probably means their colors don't interest me enough. I can easily find interesting colors in other brands, like Diamine, Noodler's, J. Herbin, Akkerman and specially the other Japanese brands that release specialty inks limited to few stores. Right now I probably am more interested in darker blues, sepia tones, brownish/reddish or copper tones, and so on, and Iro inks feel more delicate and happy shades. When I get my first bottle it is probably going to be Yama-Budo (I might regret picking a purple) for its interesting sheen, or Tsuki-Yo (because I prefer Shin-Kai tone but it seems to be very much like Pilot Blue Black which I already ordered).

Ina-Ho is something that should only be found in diapers of the young on apricot day... and most unfortunately named!

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

#32 TreyinAZ

TreyinAZ

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 22:28

As Orange is my favorite color, Yu-Yaki is my favorite. It's. Beautiful deep tone. When I sign a bill or something I commonly get "wow, not blue or black ink". I t always makes me smile. Kon- Peki is also beautiful.

#33 humblescribbler

humblescribbler

and Zen there were none

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 00:10

Tsuki Yo  and Asa Gao

I fall into this camp but ended up using syo-ro the most. Half empty and bought last (of my blues and blue-greens). Asa-gao is also the very deepest, I think, and momiji can only capture that really bad day.

Interesting how FPN spell check whipped on all of these! I had soy-ro, and as-goa, but the best "correction" was "mimosa" for momiji. Too fun. I guess I sometimes could use that early in the morning, instead of the red ink. Just sayin'.

#34 Pelikan_FP

Pelikan_FP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:27

My favorites are Ku-Jaku, Yama-Budo, and Kon-Peki in that order.  

I've gone through 1/2 a bottle of the Ku-Jaku and 1/3 of a bottle of Yama-Budo in the past 6 months alone.  I'll use Kon-Peki in relief of the Ku-Jaku once in a while.  

Cheers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#35 gwyneddd

gwyneddd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:57

No one seems to have much love for the Murisaki-shikibu or some of the lighter blues, like Ajisai. Is it that they are too unsaturated?

I just got a sample of Asa-gao and I like it almost as much as Kon-Peki.

#36 lgreen

lgreen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2014 - 13:16

Murisaki-shikibu is a wonderful matt pastel ink which is still perfectly legible but if had to select a favourite it would Syo-ro

#37 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 15:34

No one seems to have much love for the Murisaki-shikibu or some of the lighter blues, like Ajisai. Is it that they are too unsaturated?

There was an ink review thread just this week where someone described Murasaki-shikibu as "simply the best color ever", so there are people who think it wonderful.  I haven't tried it yet.

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#38 Hallel

Hallel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2014 - 16:03

Of the Iro's I've tried I like Tsuki- yo the most, I have Kon-Peki and Kosumosu but they don't get as much use. But it's also a seasonal thing. I reach for them more in the spring.
The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

#39 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 16:13

I like Tsuki-yo, Kon-peki and Syo-ro. I also have Yama-budo and Ku-jaku. I think I have enough but Asa-gao is tempting

#40 indigoskye

indigoskye

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2014 - 22:41

My favorite Iroshizuku inks are:

Tsuki-yo - a glorious deep blue/black

Take-sumi - a black ink that shades to a rich charcoal

I own a bottle of each.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham
No Wasted Ink

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: favorite, color, iroshizuku

Sponsored Content

|