What's Your Favorite Paper For Fountain Pens?

Sky Fountain Pens

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• j.a.j.

• HalloweenHJB

• Chiyoko

I like Rhoda and Clairefontaine but my current favorite is Maruman sept coleur.

For some reason, even though Its nice and smooth, Tomoe river paper produces broader lines than the above papers, which interferes with the line variation using italic nibs. Anyone else notice this?

Edited by cellmatrix

Hmmm, a several way tie for me with Tomoe River, Midori MD, Kokuyo Cyo-Bo, and L!fe Fine Writing. All of the high-end Japanese papers really.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Xerox premium multipurpose from Costco one year ago

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

+1 for Tomoe ........and another + Midori.

In Midori's case I particularly like and enjoy the paper quality of their plain 'lightweight' refils for the Traveler Notebook.

Falcon

Did you see that Steve Curnow is now doing Midori-sized Tomoe River fillers?

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Clairefontaine and Rhodia. I actually like the feel of Leuchtturm1917 more, but I can't stand the bleed through and ghosting. I can't bring myself to try Tomoe River paper because I'm incredibly obsessed with having little to no ghosting.

Edit: Almost forgot. Funny thing, I've been using Kokuyo Campus notebooks all of my life (incredibly cheap where I lived), and not once did I have any fondness for the paper. Of course, that was back in the day before I had interest in quality paper, but it was Clairefontaine's smooth pages that got my heart beating fast, haha!

Edited by Riayain

Tomoe River is very nice when you have blotter available / are not in hurry.

The papers that surprised me most are Clairfontaine and Stora Enso 4CC color copier papers. You can choose between 100 – 300 gm2 paper that is relatively absorbent without that much feathering. Dry time is also more manageable than on coated papers.

Non notisi signi.

I have become very partial to Japanese papers recently

including Tomoe River, Muji notebooks and Maruman

loose leaf paper.

I will start with Tomoe River

I will second Tomoe River for anything special but would like to nominate Q Connect Bank Paper.

I've become a convert and use it for daily scribbling. It too is very thin. Kind of reminds me of that old school toilet paper but takes fountain pen ink really well, makes inks look fab and is cheap as chips.

(no where near as smooth though)

and I will third Tomoe River :D

I use Rhodia pads for small notepads (I always keep one on my desks), Clairefontaine and Apica for notebooks, and some 8.5x11 pads of Tomoe River for letters. I have some thicker stationary like Crown Mill and G Lalo, but save that for more special occasions.

I just tried Tomoe River paper for the first time yesterday. The hype is well deserved, it brings out the sheen on EVERYTHING. Inks that I never dreamed would sheen...

I usually prefer heavier weight papers and have a lot of Papyrus (the store brand) deckle-edge letter sheets that I use to write my pen pals. Unfortunately that paper can be a little finicky when it comes to pen/ink combos. I also have Rhodia and Fabriano paper... but as much as people seem to like Rhodia paper it feels strangely "soul-less" to me.

TLDR;

1. Tomoe River

2. Papyrus brand deckle-edge letter sheets

3. Rhodia

Smythson is very hard to beat. However it is very expensive.

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.