The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy 81 & 281 - Set

lamy lamy 81 lamy 281 lamy profil

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 JF_LAMY Collection

JF_LAMY Collection

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 20:38

Dear English John,

PM sent.

I am sorry for the delay!

Jan

Sponsored Content

#22 Tigerfox

Tigerfox

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:26

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, by I need your help. I disassembled a Lamy profil 81 in fairly new condition to clean it and now I can't put it together again properly.

I've had the same problem with a brown profil 80, but there enough brute force and friction did the job: After unscrewing the barrel, it will not screw back on completely. Only using much force and rubber gloves helped with the 80.

With the 81, it helped a bit at first, but not enough, now after several trials the barrel wont even screw onto the section a tiny bit because it can't get a hold. The reason for this seems to be the rubber sealing ring you see on the the feed here, which prevents the barrel from screwing deeper into the section. When the ring is missing, everything screws together jus fine.

I tried everything I could to press the ring further back onto the feed, to no avail Then I tried to get the feed out with pincers, but I'm just damaging the feed and therefore don't want to try that again without knowing exactly what I am doing.

So please can anyone tell me how to get everthing back together correctly?

#23 JF_LAMY Collection

JF_LAMY Collection

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:55

Hello Tigerfox,

I have had this issue with some older LAMY 27s, but not with the profil series. These pens are easy to take apart and back together. I would not use the pincers that is for sure. Are you sure the feed “clicks” right in the tine hole at the front of the section? Because once it does, the seal just easily slides in. Or, are you sure the seal is original? Please post some pictures ...

Kind regards,

Jan (FLICKR)

#24 Tigerfox

Tigerfox

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:57

I have not disassembled nib, feed and section. The rubber sealing ring fell right out when I unscrewed the barrel. I will post pictures later.

#25 Tigerfox

Tigerfox

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 16:38

Sorry, I only had time to take the pictures just now.

Attached Images

• DSC_0276.JPG
  • DSC_0278.JPG

#26 JF_LAMY Collection

JF_LAMY Collection

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:34

Hello,

It all looks fine. No pieces are missing. The seal is original. I don´t really see what the problem might be. You mentioned that if the seal is not inserted, the parts fit together OK. Try to take the feed out, put the seal on, and see how the barrel fits. I will try to post some pictures soon ...

Kind regards,

Jan (FLICKR)

#27 Tigerfox

Tigerfox

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 21:52

That is the problem, I don't know how to take the feed out and only seem to damage it by trying.

#28 JF_LAMY Collection

JF_LAMY Collection

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:46

Hello,

taking the feed out is easy and there is a picture on page 1 of this thread regarding this. Pull (slide) the nib down, press the tine square of the feed and pull it out. I don´t have, unfortunately any "profil" pens here in Prague, but when I visit my parents, I will take some pictures and post them here ...

Jan

#29 Tigerfox

Tigerfox

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2019 - 18:49

I saw those pics but I can't even slide the nib down. Is there a trick? Do I have to pull the nib at the tip with something like pincers or do I habe to push it down from the backside?

I just now realised: Are you the Jan whose Flickr-account is filled with valueable old LAMY-catalogues and high quality pictures of older and nwer Lamy and Montblanc? Thank you for that.

Edited by Tigerfox, 31 March 2019 - 18:51.

#30 JF_LAMY Collection

JF_LAMY Collection

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:55

Hello Tigerfox,

Sorry for my late reply.

What you should do, is soak the whole feed into soapy water and keep in the water overnight. This should help release all the dried-up ink and the nib should be removed easily. There is no trick to this. There are “rails” on the sides, and the nib is inserted in these. Do not use pincers, it will damage the nib. The nib should slide from the feed. Just pull.

This is what I do, when the nib does not go down easily. But that is the “maximum force” I use. You could also use some grease:

https://sparklingsilvia.wordpress.com/tutorials/lamy-pen-tutorial/

If you are not lucky, you could send it to me, and would do it for you ...

And yes, that would be me with the Flickr account J Thank you ...

Kind regards,

Jan (FLICKR)

#31 Tigerfox

Tigerfox

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 18:10

Sorry for the lare reply. I just figured it out. The seal wasn't from this LAMY 81 but from one of my 80. I think I cleaned and opened them together an didn't realize from which one the seal fell out.

I got the idea from looking at the feed of different old LAMYs and saw the 81 looked like all the others which had their seal in place.

I discovered something interesting while doing that: There are two types of Lamy Profil 80! I have one with an EF nib, which is like new, and another with an F nib with a cracked cap and many signs of use. The cap of the 81 fits the first one and vice versa, but not the used one. The cap of the used one is to narrow for the newer one and the 81. But the cap of the used one fits the both the as good as new black 86 and the very damaged brown 86 I own.

So there was a black 80 which was like the 81 and and another like the 86.

Plus as my collection grows I am still amazed how all the old Lamys (27, 99, Special and Ratio) are similiar but different in the details.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, lamy 81, lamy 281, lamy profil

Sponsored Content

|